U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 AM

213 posts, read 83,903 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have posted here before about my boss (idk how to link an old thread) but the TL;DR of it is: make sexual harassment complaints about boss to HR; Boss then started putting a bunch of unnecessary work on my plate and having me work 10+ hour days for no reason and no compensation for (basically) doing new jobs than just my job now.

Now, for the new stuff.

For the past 2 weeks, my boss has CONSISTENTLY been screwing up. Double-booking meetings, saying the wrong things to candidates or C-level executives, as well as just generally saying the wrong things.

After every wrong then, he'll look at me and be like, "well I messed up again. This is why I need you to pick up my slack and check everything I do" (?? I am sorry but occasionally, sure, but he is a 40 year old man expecting to never take the fall for his screw-ups and to drag me down).

Or he will physically get PO'd and then say, "I need you to overlook everything I am doing because it is making me look bad".... Knowing that I literally had nothing to do with what he screwed up on.

Now it is just getting to the point where it honestly just seems like I have to babysit my boss and then take the blame for all of his screw ups because he can't seem to do his job right.

I have been applying for jobs, but because I live in a high COL city, most jobs I am seeing pay lower than what I get.

What am I supposed to do now? I really don't want his downfall to be my downfall. I don't know if he is genuinely just screwing up, or still "punishing" me for going to HR about him.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-16-2019 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Two threads about same job merged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM

8,624 posts, read 3,037,542 times
What is your job, as defined? If it's anything like executive/admin assistant, keeping his schedule and correspondence and so forth sorted out would be your responsibility. It's somewhat of a passing notion, but an assistant to "babysit" managers and bosses is a long-time thing.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
What is your job, as defined? If it's anything like executive/admin assistant, keeping his schedule and correspondence and so forth sorted out would be your responsibility. It's somewhat of a passing notion, but an assistant to "babysit" managers and bosses is a long-time thing.
Agreed, what is your job? If you are an EA, then it sounds like it may be part of your responsibility.

If you feel like he is retaliating against you for sexual harassment, bring it to HR.

Am I being unreasonable for thinking it's unfair, and should I start looking for a new job?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I am a recruiter and he is the Director of Recruiting. I never had to "keep up his slack" until just a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not his assistant, I just work under him. None of my job duties are to be his assistant

Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I am a recruiter and he is the Director of Recruiting. I never had to "keep up his slack" until just a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not his assistant, I just work under him. None of my job duties are to be his assistant
Even so, your duties could be seen to include helping manage his.

He clearly expects this; your choices are to work out some clearly defined requirements (instead of just vaguely keeping him out of self-made trouble) or find another job. Getting him to define what he wants from you, for purposes of review and evaluation, might be a start.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Even so, your duties could be seen to include helping manage his.

He clearly expects this; your choices are to work out some clearly defined requirements (instead of just vaguely keeping him out of self-made trouble) or find another job. Getting him to define what he wants from you, for purposes of review and evaluation, might be a start.
The problem is that I would not mind "fixing" his mistake if it was occasional, but it literally has been something every day for the past couple of weeks and I am getting to my breaking point. The point to where I am very highly considering going to his superior, because I can't do my job because I have to continuously help him fix his issues

Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
The problem is that I would not mind "fixing" his mistake if it was occasional, but it literally has been something every day for the past couple of weeks and I am getting to my breaking point. The point to where I am very highly considering going to his superior, because I can't do my job because I have to continuously help him fix his issues
Understood - sincerely - but you may well be told it's part of your job, and may honk off your boss and his superior by whining about it.

Best to talk to your boss about the issues, remaining calm and saying you're committed to doing a good job, but you need organization and understanding to be his effective EA/AA. If he continues to be erratic and demanding and accusatory, it's unlikely there's any solution short of a new job.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM

10,008 posts, read 16,668,282 times
Yes, try to address his needs with a conversation, but I would start looking for another job. The two of you aren't a good fit.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 PM

17,276 posts, read 10,200,031 times
Am I being unreasonable for thinking it's unfair, and should I start looking for a new job?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:24 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,637 times
its ur job to make your boss look good regardless and then maybe get the drip.

Welcome to corp America. If you think switching will be any diff. LOLOLOLOLOL OK maybe not to this extent, no wait yeah it happens everywhere. Why ppl shuffle managers so frequently. Look its jkust the way business works. Boss ****s up underlings take the blame. Throw people under the bus, lie, pretend to be stupid its self preservation mode every man women for him or herself.

Do a prisoners dilemma put yourself in his shoes. Are you gunna take the high ground and take the fall or pin it on another analyst that has history with HR already? For all you know this could be a form of retaliation not covered by law GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or