U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:01 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,373,719 times

Advertisements

Stay home. So many people come in sick and get the rest of us sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,081,379 times
Anything more than a common cold, I stay home while contagious
I always feel "okay" enough with strep, but I know it hits some people hard, so I wait the recommended 24 hours after getting antibiotics before working.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM

780 posts, read 204,578 times
If you can work from home, work from home.

If you cannot, then work it out with your manager to either take some time off or make up for lost time/productivity later.

If I'm ever feeling sick, but not sick enough to be bed ridden, I email my team to let them know where I am and how they can get a hold of me. We have the flexibility in our office to do this.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,553,315 times
Can you work from home? If you can and feel up to it, do that. If not, take a sick day. I don’t want anyone bringing strep to the office. Go back once you’re on antibiotics for 24 hours and no longer contagious.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 AM

9,227 posts, read 8,313,712 times
That's so irresponsible to go into work sick and contagious.

So irresponsible.

You could kill someone with a weak immune system.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Is your company staffed by workaholics?

If yes, you will be declared worthless if you dare to take an hour off.

Workaholics are ridiculous.
Very few people are actually addicted to work. There are actually people who want to get the job done, not just punch a clock. And when someone takes time off, the work still needs to get done. We understand when someone's sick, but we also understand when they're always "sick", and when they never seem to be around to pick up the slack when we're unavailable.

I work from home, and almost certainly work more hours than when I drove to an office. Between early morning starts for East Coast calls, travel, flying on Sundays, flying after a day of meetings, etc. I work a lot. But I'll also pull the yellow handles at 2PM on Friday

Old 04-02-2019, 01:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,055,286 times
I think this would depend on your company culture and rules. I've worked at places that had very strict sick policies to the point of if you're sick too often, you get fired, so yeah, everyone came in sick. I've worked at places that coming in sick was the better choice. And at my most recent job, we're all about, don't come in if you're contagious, even if that means working from home. I like this last company the best, hehe.

If you're contagious, and it's okay to WFH, do that. If you can't, but you have enough time and are okay taking a sick day, then please do that for the sake of people who don't want to get sick OR for those who'll get sick, worse than you, then come in (there's always one).

Old 04-02-2019, 04:02 PM

936 posts, read 1,058,008 times
At the beginning of March I had the flu and strep. I stayed home M-Th. My doctor told me to stay home Friday too but I felt guilty missing that much time so I went in Friday. I felt better and the doc said I shouldn’t be contagious anymore- she wanted me to stay home and rest.

Four of my teaching assistants and students caught the flu or strep. The entire month of March my room was sick and it’s still cycling through to service providers.

I feel horrible. If I’d stayed home one more day - 8 people probably wouldn’t have gotten sick.

Stay home - don’t infect your coworkers.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:10 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,383,703 times
essentially, when i work i get paid.
i take sick days, vacation, etc. when i do not want to get paid.
it is really good pay, and the expectations are to get the job done.
my last vacation cost me $11,000 (no pay and vacation costs).
my last sick day was for surgery six years ago.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM

6,216 posts, read 2,874,385 times
I work entirely alone. Who's there to infect?
Unless I'm doubled over..with visual reactions...hurling...high temp. I usually plough thru the ailment. No sense in staying home since I get zero sick time off.
If you like to be quarantined. ..have at it. I take no offense if someone comes in with conditions. I'm not a germaphobe or into shaming a person who has mouths to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or