U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 406,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have had one or two employees over the years try this. I have always told them to stop by HR for details on final check, COBRA coverage, etc.

I also let them rescind their threat if they do so immediately, but if they go home for the night without backing down, I would have accepted their resignation.
I agree. I don't believe in being held hostage over demands. Because to me it is childish. If an employee is having a problem, they should ask for a one-on-one meeting where we can discuss their concerns about work, co-workers, etc., and we work together to resolve them. Gossip to their co-workers who agree with them doesn't count, cause I can't read minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,187,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I agree. I don't believe in being held hostage over demands. Because to me it is childish. If an employee is having a problem, they should ask for a one-on-one meeting where we can discuss their concerns about work, co-workers, etc., and we work together to resolve them. Gossip to their co-workers who agree with them doesn't count, cause I can't read minds.

That's what most people would go for first. But then what do you do when the person's bad behavior continues to the detriment of the rest of the department and management does nothing? I guess if you work in a place where management is great, you might have things work out for you. If you work in a place where management is part of the problem, good luck with that.

Four years with the same problems with the same person at my place and zero has been resolved. It's stupid on their part, because the good people will be leaving and we are short staffed as is---I am leaving and I am one of the only people who does everything.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 AM

1,334 posts, read 830,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Many years ago I worked for a firm at which one long-term admin did NO WORK WHATSOEVER while the remaining four (including me) worked extremely hard at not only our own jobs but also picked up the useless admin's slack and did her job most of the time as well. We eventually became so fed up that we had a meeting amongst ourselves and realized we were willing to quit if the company did not do something about it.

We walked AS A GROUP into our leader's office, explained why we were there, outlined many specific instances where the useless admin was incompetent and/or giving us her work in order to avoid doing it herself. We then told him that we were willing to walk - immediately - unless something tangible and permanent be done. We did not ask him to fire her outright, but we made it clear that we would no longer do her job for her.
This, and a situation where a coworker is truly a toxic employee, are the only two legitimate reasons I feel the threatening to quit over someone else is justified. Sounds like these people at OP's job are immature, imho.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 AM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
This is why I couldn't work for government entities, including universities in different states.

It only matters if their idea of reasonableness is at complete odds to yours. Sure, you could stay there for 30 years and collect the benefits. But can you really handle living in an alternate universe for that entire time from 8 am to 4 pm, 5 days a week? I couldn't. What you have described is just the tip of the ice-burg as far as weird department drama in public government employment types of jobs where it's nearly impossible to fire anyone.

The reason these people flock to, and stay at, these types of jobs is because they can stay forever with minimal exertion until they retire with great benefits, for the most part.

If working with this kind of person for the rest of your working life sound like heaven, great. If it sounds like something that will drive you mad, like it did me, I suggest you get out asap. Don't waste your time and breath judging them, it's not worth it. Just get out.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 AM

739 posts, read 557,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It's a public library.
Lol, doesn't seem like there would be any large repercussions regarding letting them go. Shouldn't be too hard to replace employees at a library

Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,477,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
In the last couple of years at my job, three employees have threatened to quit if they didn't get their way. In two cases, they were arguing that they should not have to work with a coworker they disliked, and said they would quit if they had to work with the person. In the third case, the employee threatened to quit if one of the first two quit.

Is this a common occurrence in the workplace? I find their tactics to be immature. My perspective is that if you dislike a coworker and prefer not to work with the person, you have to either suck it up and deal with it (you probably won't like everyone at work) or work with your supervisor to find another solution (maybe a mediated meeting with the coworker to discuss the issues), not threaten to quit. And to me it goes without saying that, "If she quits, I quit," is a tactic that makes you look bad.

To be clear, I'm not the boss, so I'm not the one fielding the complaints.
There may be other reasons that a group of employees may quit also. Look at Larry Nasser and US gymnastics or Jerry Sandusky and Penn State. There's that one employee that will get away with anything for decades, while others around them quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or