Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:28 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times

Advertisements

I work for the US Courts, and we employ Court Security Officers. Nearly 100% of them were former LEOs. It's a pretty good retirement job, and they mostly seem to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
NYC officers run in my family. My dad retired and actually went to work as a nursing care aide, he loved it. My bff retired and now does interior design, her husband retired and got a job as assistant head of security at a NYC hospital

Old 04-07-2019, 02:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
...her husband retired and got a job as assistant head of security at a NYC hospital
That's what I'd like to do, is get a security management job where I can move up to the top position by the time I retire. I could work at a corporate office, hospital, distribution center, etc. I've applied for 2 positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I hate to be a kill joy but $70k is good salary. Jobs at that pay grade usually require a degree or, at a minimum, some kind of specific training or skill. And in todays workforce climate companies arent willing to train people, even if you are competent and have a proven stable work history. The 90's are gone, never to return.
I have a bacherlor's degree, 15 years experience, and an investigative certification. I think $70k is attainable.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
What is your bachelors degree in?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
What is your bachelors degree in?
If the OP has 15 straight years of LEO experience, the degree major is irrelevant at this stage in his career.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
That's what I'd like to do, is get a security management job where I can move up to the top position by the time I retire. I could work at a corporate office, hospital, distribution center, etc. I've applied for 2 positions.

I have a bacherlor's degree, 15 years experience, and an investigative certification. I think $70k is attainable.
You repeatedly talk about getting a management job, but you have yet to say anything about management experience or education. Former cops are a dime a dozen. What do you have that will make someone think you are management material?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You repeatedly talk about getting a management job, but you have yet to say anything about management experience or education. Former cops are a dime a dozen. What do you have that will make someone think you are management material?
I would hope the OP has done research on how to be minimally qualified for such a position. Surely, he's done more than walk a beat.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:25 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would hope the OP has done research on how to be minimally qualified for such a position. Surely, he's done more than walk a beat.
No way of knowing, and the OP hasn't said. I've know a number of officers who have spent their entire career as uniformed beat officers. Not everyone wants the same thing out of the job.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:39 PM

209 posts, read 292,355 times
I'm not a current or past LEO. However, in my state, some state agencies have given preference to former LEO's. I'm specifically thinking of agencies dealing with fraud allegations. Department of Health and Human Services comes to mind for that. Department of Labor is another that comes to mind. In addition, some state agencies involved with conducting safety inspections (pipeline, food safety) have given preference to former LEO's. Problem is, in my state, there's no way in the world you'll be making $70K a year working for these state agencies unless you come in as some middle level manager.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM

455 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'm currently applying for jobs, and I'm curious what former police officers are doing now. If you aren't an officer but you know someone who used to be one, you can post what they're doing now.

I have a few ideas for jobs I'd like to move into, but I'm having a hard time finding positions that pay $70k+. I have obtained a private sector certification, ongoing volunteer experience for my resume, and a few other things to make me stand out from my peers (hopefully).

Give me some ideas.
Every corp security person we've had has been a former/retired cop. They all seemed to make good money. Investigations, dealing with local police and fed's with bank robberies, emergency situations etc....and investigating theft/fraud cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment