Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times

Advertisements

What if you get sick with something contagious but you are not feeling bad enough to take day off. Do you still take the day off for the sake of your coworkers or show up to work and be careful who you are around while you are contagious.

Sunday afternoon I realize I might have strep throat. I took OTC medication and gargled with salt water, plus lot of tea. Next morning I felt lazy but not sick, so I came to work. I eventually made it to doctor in afternoon who confirmed I do have strep throat. I had strep throat once before 3 years ago & it felt like hell. I physically needed half a week to recover. This time, it feels like simple cold/soar throat & I don't feel like I need the time off. The only reason I would take sick day tomorrow is so my coworkers don't get contaminated from me but it is sort of too late because I already came to work today. I did avoid people as much as possible & worked quietly in my office today because I suspected I have strep.

I don't want to harm anyone else but I also feel fine-ish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 02:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
It depends on the company culture.

In my wife’s company, people would be hacking up a lung but still come in and obviously infect others, because there is an expectation to “get stuff done”. I’ve seen in others where common sense rules and you work from home when you can.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
It's a judgement call.

If I feel like i have a cold, but not very bad to the point of hacking every few minutes, I'll go to work. As long as I can be productive while feeling a bit under the weather, I'll go in. None of my co-workers have ever gotten sick from me doing so.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 PM

11,086 posts, read 7,154,662 times
You could make it a half day; as a balance between working all day vs. not coming in at all. I think that speaks better than just calling in sick. Or, come in for an hour or two. It shows effort, and trying. You can say that you considered not coming in, but decided to give it your best shot, and now are convinced it's not a good idea staying for the day. You can also point out the contagiousness of it. Most will agree with you, and it won't take much convincing. Instead of the brusk mystery of not coming in at all, you can build "a case" for being genuinely sick and needing to go home.

But if it's bad enough, and will make it worse getting out, just send an email or call, and stay home

Old 04-01-2019, 06:01 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
I generally am one of the last to get into work on most days, I typically stay late too but today I left early for me (normal for other people). If I go in tomorrow or next few days, i am planning on ending my day earlier & doing minimal.

It was more of a moral issue on whether to use up my sick days when i don't feel sick just because i don't want to spread my germ on others. Our company didn't have official sick leave policy aside from "use it when you need it" but last Friday they came up with official rule of 5 sick days/year. So now I am on a mission to take all 5 days per year but when i want to or need to. Not for my colleagues.

Thanks for the answer. I don't feel so guilty going to work tomorrow

Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
I think this is the same in all corporate offices. They publicly put out the policy of "please stay home if you are sick--do not come in and spread the illness."

But.....go to call in sick and they of course, skeptically think you're just taking a day off, unless you sound like you are dying.

It is one of those no win situations.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Is your company staffed by workaholics?

If yes, you will be declared worthless if you dare to take an hour off.

Workaholics are ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I take a week off when I'm sick. At least. I absolutely hate working around people who are sick who then make me sick. Pisses me off royally.

I can't even comprehend a culture where someone would contemplate coming in with strep throat. UFB.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
If you're sick, stay home. That's my perspective. I rather have one person out than to risk having more out later.

In this day and age where many of us work with others across various timezones - if you are really needed, I think there are options where you can stay home and still get stuff done. The notion of "face time" needs to stop. And I can go on about this archaic notion.

On the flip side, stuff needs to get done. Just because you were sick doesn't alleviate you from your responsibilities or an opportunity to use it as an excuse for those that like to procrastinate.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
What if you get sick with something contagious but you are not feeling bad enough to take day off. Do you still take the day off for the sake of your coworkers or show up to work and be careful who you are around while you are contagious.

Sunday afternoon I realize I might have strep throat. I took OTC medication and gargled with salt water, plus lot of tea. Next morning I felt lazy but not sick, so I came to work. I eventually made it to doctor in afternoon who confirmed I do have strep throat. I had strep throat once before 3 years ago & it felt like hell. I physically needed half a week to recover. This time, it feels like simple cold/soar throat & I don't feel like I need the time off. The only reason I would take sick day tomorrow is so my coworkers don't get contaminated from me but it is sort of too late because I already came to work today. I did avoid people as much as possible & worked quietly in my office today because I suspected I have strep.

I don't want to harm anyone else but I also feel fine-ish
Don't be pressured by some perceived practice in the office. If you are sick, you stay home. If you think you might be contagious, you stay home. If you feel well enough to work from home, then do that if possible. Otherwise, it is a sick day. I wouldn't go into a detail explanation of how you feel to the employer, just call, e-mail or text you are taking a sick day.

I tell the same thing to my group cause everyone deserves to take sick days. I'd like to add, no one needs to explain themselves. Because they all have work assigned with deadlines and backups in the event it is urgent, so we have no worries of someone abusing sick days. It is also disruptive to have someone come into the office coughing up a lung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment