U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:10 AM

780 posts, read 204,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That seems a lost cause.
I think it's time for you to join the leavers.
Ditto. The writing is on the wall and you need to take heed. Your business owner/GM is setting you up to fail with his stinginess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM

1,516 posts, read 975,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
On a different note, why haven't you left? Do your former employees make more than you now? Can you make twice the money as a supervisor at their companies?

There's no way I am staying at a company that pays half as much the competition for the same job and hours. After the first 20 hours@market rate, you are working for FREE.

With such a large discrepancy salary, you are funding the owner's family and not your own family. My wife would kill me, if I took better care of the owner's family.

That's an interesting point. OP- could you make 2x more if you left?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:02 PM

10,011 posts, read 16,682,427 times
Year ago, when I worked for DOL, I audited an employer who griped about his employees. I had seen the payroll so responded, "You are getting what you pay for."

Old 04-03-2019, 03:44 PM

38,249 posts, read 14,949,076 times
If folks can make twice as much somewhere else, the OP is lucky they stay as long as they do.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:52 PM

9,251 posts, read 8,318,049 times
You have fundamental differences with the owner/GM.

That's not going to change.

Find another job before you make yourself crazy trying to fix this.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,782,480 times
Maybe start conducting exit interviews when people leave? It's hard to say what's the cause but if it's a problem and you seem to have no idea why, the first step is to collect data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

I work in a management position at a medium-sized company. The atmosphere is not the best to work at - in short, the owner who's also the general manager does not believe in modern or academic management techniques, does not really care about things like employee turnover, planning, policies and procedures... etc. So department managers have a lot to do to make the atmosphere more reasonable for employees.

My story: I have a good technical background in my specialty and I like to find skillful people who have such skills - I did well recently catching and hiring such people. In my department I always have one "senior" employee whom I care most of his/her well-being and satisfaction at work, I give special training and support, appreciate his/her talent and hard work, and they pay back with very good work. Except, in six months I lost two of these good employees to better opportunities - and it's very hard to find these people in my country. I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, plus they do not feel safe considering the top management mentality so it is hard to convince them. They both are good friends afterwards and they respect me personally.

The problem is that I don't see other departments having the same issue. Their work is less technical but the managers seem to make a group that seems stable. I really don't know whether it's my fault or not. I believe that in general good employees always find better opportunities. If an employee is not happy with his/her salary or company situation, then the only reason he stays is he cannot find a better opportunity for whatever reason, is that right?

I need advice and help on how to keep the next good employee!

Thanks...

Old 04-03-2019, 04:31 PM

325 posts, read 108,782 times
Employees want market rate pay, good workplace culture, fairness. If those basics aren't there, they leave for greener pastures. It'll continue until the owner shows more interest in changing things. Seems like he wouldn't want to spend money training/orientating new hires on a regular basis.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:32 PM

823 posts, read 216,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

I work in a management position at a medium-sized company. The atmosphere is not the best to work at - in short, the owner who's also the general manager does not believe in modern or academic management techniques, does not really care about things like employee turnover, planning, policies and procedures... etc. So department managers have a lot to do to make the atmosphere more reasonable for employees.

My story: I have a good technical background in my specialty and I like to find skillful people who have such skills - I did well recently catching and hiring such people. In my department I always have one "senior" employee whom I care most of his/her well-being and satisfaction at work, I give special training and support, appreciate his/her talent and hard work, and they pay back with very good work. Except, in six months I lost two of these good employees to better opportunities - and it's very hard to find these people in my country. I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, plus they do not feel safe considering the top management mentality so it is hard to convince them. They both are good friends afterwards and they respect me personally.

The problem is that I don't see other departments having the same issue. Their work is less technical but the managers seem to make a group that seems stable. I really don't know whether it's my fault or not. I believe that in general good employees always find better opportunities. If an employee is not happy with his/her salary or company situation, then the only reason he stays is he cannot find a better opportunity for whatever reason, is that right?

I need advice and help on how to keep the next good employee!

Thanks...
It appears you are attracting employees because they want to learn from your technical background. Once they have upgraded their skills, they become more marketable and can get better salaries elsewhere. So your company has to be more competitive with salaries to retain them. I would suggest you get documentation of salaries based on skills in the field. As others mentioned, if your employer turns a deaf ear, either you ask for a higher salary for yourself as you will always be the training springboard for employees or start looking for a better paid position yourself.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:22 AM

44 posts, read 52,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
It appears you are attracting employees because they want to learn from your technical background. Once they have upgraded their skills, they become more marketable and can get better salaries elsewhere. So your company has to be more competitive with salaries to retain them. I would suggest you get documentation of salaries based on skills in the field. As others mentioned, if your employer turns a deaf ear, either you ask for a higher salary for yourself as you will always be the training springboard for employees or start looking for a better paid position yourself.
Sounds like a possibility. They both were fine with their salaries when they got hired.

To answer the other questions:
Why don't I quit? Always easier said than done, but my current job seems to have future potential. On second thought I should involve the new employees with this future potential.

Do I get 2x my salary if I quit? Never tried before but certainly won't be easy. By the way both of them wouldn't have imagined getting such salaries before and were happy and motivated. The market were I were does not seem standardized.

Thanks...

Old 04-04-2019, 05:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 1,824,099 times
They're using you to put some experience on their resume.
Resign yourself to the fact that they're going to quit as soon as they get some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment