U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:38 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Sounds like a possibility. They both were fine with their salaries when they got hired.

To answer the other questions:
Why don't I quit? Always easier said than done, but my current job seems to have future potential. On second thought I should involve the new employees with this future potential.

Do I get 2x my salary if I quit? Never tried before but certainly won't be easy. By the way both of them wouldn't have imagined getting such salaries before and were happy and motivated. The market were I were does not seem standardized.

Thanks...
You got to test the market, if you want to know. Apply and see what offers are available. If it's only a 75% increase, you don't have to take it.

Your wife may kill you, if she finds out you are rejecting offers for 75% more than your cheapskate boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM

686 posts, read 249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Employees want market rate pay, good workplace culture, fairness. If those basics aren't there, they leave for greener pastures. It'll continue until the owner shows more interest in changing things. Seems like he wouldn't want to spend money training/orientating new hires on a regular basis.
All of the above plus competitive wages/salaries and benefits.

I've seen my company spent a lot of money on training/orientating new hires constantly, but employees came and went so fast because the wages are lower than somewhere else, and the workloads have been increasing continuously. Employees feel burned out and ripped off, so they just stay here for a while until they get a better job somewhere else, and they move fast. Nowadays, the younger people are very smart and ambitious. They won't tolerate slavery. The ones who stay (cannot find a job somewhere else yet) phone in sick a lot. Very bad.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 AM

792 posts, read 210,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
All of the above plus competitive wages/salaries and benefits.

I've seen my company spent a lot of money on training/orientating new hires constantly, but employees came and went so fast because the wages are lower than somewhere else, and the workloads have been increasing continuously. Employees feel burned out and ripped off, so they just stay here for a while until they get a better job somewhere else, and they move fast. Nowadays, the younger people are very smart and ambitious. They won't tolerate slavery. The ones who stay (cannot find a job somewhere else yet) phone in sick a lot. Very bad.

For some companies, that is the business model -- hire employees at minimum salary, provide training and then after xx time, let another company pay the higher rate; start over with new employees. This model is very hard on the manager who has to continuously recruit and train. So, if this is the model, the manager should make sure the compensation is worth it.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 AM

3,755 posts, read 2,120,792 times
Employees won’t leave if you invest in their career and pay them fairly.

Employers obviously don’t want employees to stay anymore though. Always trying to find some excuse to lay them off and give a quick spike to stock.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM

5,131 posts, read 2,756,597 times
Uh, if you're offering only half the market rate for these employees, that's your biggest problem.

While company culture, and manager quality have some sticking force when it comes to employee retainment, when it comes down to it, as a business owner/manager, you have to pay to play (or in this case, keep good employees).

Before I sold my company, I used to religiously research market pay rates and add a comfortable cushion to retain my best employees.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,916 times
There are some neat management positions, but for most people, more money is a major motivation for taking a management position. At half the pay, even if not all variables are equal (e.g. commute times, benefits, "unspoken benefits"), that's too much of a disparity.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
If you notice your best employees are leaving for better opportunities and pay elsewhere, you need to reevaluate your organization and work on retaining next-to-best employees. If you take action later than sooner, you may join the exodus.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,798,789 times
Quote:
Hi,

I work in a management position at a medium-sized company. The atmosphere is not the best to work at - in short, the owner who's also the general manager does not believe in modern or academic management techniques, does not really care about things like employee turnover, planning, policies and procedures... etc. So department managers have a lot to do to make the atmosphere more reasonable for employees.

My story: I have a good technical background in my specialty and I like to find skillful people who have such skills - I did well recently catching and hiring such people. In my department I always have one "senior" employee whom I care most of his/her well-being and satisfaction at work, I give special training and support, appreciate his/her talent and hard work, and they pay back with very good work. Except, in six months I lost two of these good employees to better opportunities - and it's very hard to find these people in my country. I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, plus they do not feel safe considering the top management mentality so it is hard to convince them. They both are good friends afterwards and they respect me personally.

The problem is that I don't see other departments having the same issue. Their work is less technical but the managers seem to make a group that seems stable. I really don't know whether it's my fault or not. I believe that in general good employees always find better opportunities. If an employee is not happy with his/her salary or company situation, then the only reason he stays is he cannot find a better opportunity for whatever reason, is that right?

I need advice and help on how to keep the next good employee!

Thanks...

It's one of two things:

1.) Salaries are way below market rate
2.) You aren't a good boss

Possibly even both.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:49 AM

117 posts, read 39,011 times
Quote:
I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, .
Red flag with the pay right there. There is not a lot you can do. There is something wrong with the company, at the top, if they think they can pay employees half of what they are worth on the market and still stick around, unless, you letting them work half-time or something like that. Would you want to stick with your company if you were paid 1/2 of what you were worth?

Old 04-13-2019, 12:05 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Hi,

Except, in six months I lost two of these good employees to better opportunities - and it's very hard to find these people in my country. I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, plus they do not feel safe considering the top management mentality so it is hard to convince them.

I need advice and help on how to keep the next good employee!

Thanks...
Frankly I am now making $17 an hour. If I was offered $8.50 I'd laugh my head off....I'd expect anyone who was worth $35 an hour to laugh at my rate of pay if they were doing their job at that rate. You can't keep good workers if you're not going to PAY them GOOD WAGES. Quit trying to save the ship and take the lifeboat and leave the ship....It's sinking with you in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment