Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,234,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I would just like some feedback on this situation and I plan to keep this brief.

I am doing contract counseling work in a very small private practice recovery services program. On Fridays I see clients alone for individual counseling. It is just me in a small cottage office one client at a time. The business is owned by a woman who lives out of town.

On this particular Friday while I was in the building with a client, another client kept coming to the door in an agitated state tinged with anger and demanded to be seen. I told him that he had a later afternoon appointment, but he kept coming back and seemed high to me and his demeanor seemed aggressive. So I locked the door and at one point he shouted out "why did you lock the door?" but I was with other counseling clients and they stated they were afraid of him. At one point he hit on the window to a room where I sat with another client.

I thought of calling the police but called the owner first. She demanded to talk with him if he reappeared and he did. I wasn't comfortable dealing with him but I put him on the phone with her and she told him to leave the premises and that he was scaring me and my clients. She asked that I reschedule him on Monday with the male counselor who would also be alone with him. He was somewhat belligerent after this but did leave the area.

The next Thursday he was in the building for a medical appointment. When I approached him to talk with him he started in on me in a loud bullying tone saying he would not talk with me without a witness and then went into a lengthy recount about the previous week and how I attacked him and got him in trouble, etc. witnessed by staff and clients and later clients told me that they were afraid of him as was I. He has a history of incarceration for assault and has continued drug use despite enrolling in this program.

The owner was out of town but after that encounter I texted her what happened and I did a clinical note detailing both the Friday and Thursday episodes. I said i would not see him for group or individual work because I did not feel safe around him.

5 days have gone by and she never responded to me. No text or call or acknowledgement of my ordeal or anything. I am part time so I don't go back until tomorrow but I looked on the schedule and he is still on the schedule and also in one of my groups!

After all I went through and reported on this person re his potential for violence. I expected to at least get some support on this and yet there has been none.

I am afraid of where this could go and even the male counselor expresses fear about this situation. I have never worked in a mental health or medical setting where there is no regard for staff safety and where staff concerns are ignored.

I love my job but I may have to get out because of this . I will stay until I find something else but meanwhile I am no longer comfortable feeling this vulnerable. The owner obviously has no intention of listening to my concerns.

What would you do?
Without hesitation I would remove myself from that situation immediately. I am not trying to scare you, but I know of a lady counselor who was attacked by a male patient and killed. If systems are not in place that will ensure your safety you are playing with fire because this individual you mentioned is a loose cannon. The fact that you are receiving any support from the owner speaks volumes about how little she values your concerns.

Please, get out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:32 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,554,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Without hesitation I would remove myself from that situation immediately. I am not trying to scare you, but I know of a lady counselor who was attacked by a male patient and killed. If systems are not in place that will ensure your safety you are playing with fire because this individual you mentioned is a loose cannon. The fact that you are receiving any support from the owner speaks volumes about how little she values your concerns.

Please, get out of there.
Yes, you are right on. I did leave and am moving on to other endeavors. Thank you for your feedback.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 12,047,145 times
I'm glad you got out of there. Ron61's advice was right on. And you were absolutely wise to leave.
I'm surprised that people still down plane this danger. It's nothing to take lightly. I don't care how often a service provider is not attacked. I wouldn't want anyone I know or love to be the exception.

If patients and people in general are volatile and crazy when they're NOT really crazy, can we even imagine how unpredictable a REAL mentalyl disturbed or addicted person could be? No.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment