U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 PM

166 posts, read 65,892 times

Advertisements

A few things have occurred over the few weeks I知 concerned about ..wondering if I知 being retaliated against

On March 6th had a weekly performance meeting , and was told I am not performing to a particular standard
And if they don稚 see improvement by May 2019 I will be put on a Performance Improvement plan

The following week performance meeting # 2 March 14 th
Was told by manager I知 doing a great job ..they had monitoring my calls btw
I work in a call center so this is sort of what they do

And I handled them great was told to keep up the good work
Performance meeting 3 March 21- no feedback manager was on vacation but had a meeting with second supervisor
Meeting went good no issues discussed

Performance meeting 4 - March 28th advised I was doing a good job however I could be better I asked how
Very vague ..just told I need to be more organized. Advised I would be put on a Performance Improvement plan in a few weeks . Due to the conversation I explained to manager I had been dealing with a lot of stress and suffer from Major Depression and would like to take FMLA to better myself as a person and as an employee
Given number to third party administrator of FMLA

An hour later I get a email from manager to inform me the PIP meeting would be scheduled from a next week to the next day even though an hour prior I was told the meeting would be in a week or two. Manager walks over or myDesk to ask if I got the email to confirm the meeting and then starts to proceed to question me about my FMLA ..paperwork in front of my coworkers

A few days later I get told by a coworker , there is rumor about my mental condition
On Friday March 29th I file a grievance against my supervisor ..about violation of my personal rights and discussion my personal mental health with others

On April 2nd manager returns from vacation and around Noon tells me I am being put on a performance plan
When I ask why she gives no solid answer but that my work needs to be consistent and I have 30 says to improve

I then was told today that I am being investigated for call avoidance , which is when an employee deliberately logs off the phone system to avoid calls during my three years of working for this company
I had never been told until now today or there is an issue with my call taking

Just wondering what should I do at this point
Would this be considered retaliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 PM

17,274 posts, read 10,200,031 times
A. Keep looking for another job ASAP
B. Consult a labor attorney in your city. Why you still haven't taken advice given to you on your other multiple threads and consulted an EXPERT in these matters, is beyond me.

Do I have grounds to sue my employer ?

Would I qualify for FMLA or STD due to job stress ?

In need of advice about conversation with my manager ?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 AM

281 posts, read 124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
Due to the conversation I explained to manager I had been dealing with a lot of stress and suffer from Major Depression and would like to take FMLA to better myself as a person and as an employee
Given number to third party administrator of FMLA

Manager walks over or myDesk to ask if I got the email to confirm the meeting and then starts to proceed to question me about my FMLA ..paperwork in front of my coworkers

A few days later I get told by a coworker , there is rumor about my mental condition
On Friday March 29th I file a grievance against my supervisor ..about violation of my personal rights and discussion my personal mental health with others
OP,
I hope you'll learn from this experience that you should never reveal your mental health problems or any other personal issues to people at work. As soon as they know you suffer from mental health, you are viewed as damaged goods. Your career finishes there and then.

Of course, it's retaliation!

Old 04-03-2019, 07:57 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,157,231 times
It doesn't matter. You're already gone. You need to find another job.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
B. Consult a labor attorney in your city. Why you still haven't taken advice given to you on your other multiple threads and consulted an EXPERT in these matters, is beyond me.

Exactly. I get the sense from your repeated posts about the same subject that you, indeed, do suffer from mental health issues. I would look into getting those issues dealt with and put some silly call center job on the back burner for now. In fact, I would proactively quit rather than get fired, which is where this is likely headed.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,983,142 times
Retaliated against for what?

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Agreed. We have been telling you to look for a new job with every thread you post.

I 100% get where you are coming from. I had a job where I wasn't doing well and dealing with a lot of personal stuff. My dad was put in hospice, my mom was diagnosed with two types of cancer, my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia, my best friend had just passed and my son was diagnosed on the spectrum.

With all of this, it didn't matter. They just wanted me to do my job, and rightfully so. I was set up for failure, and with everything going on couldn't dig my way out of it.

Look for a new job, consult an expert.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:48 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
Sometimes it's paranoia, sometimes it's retaliation. For the first, you have to grab hold of yourself and adjust yourself. For the second, the cards are usually stacked against you, and there's little you can do other than moving on.

Try to reach a clear understanding as to which case it is, then move forward. Sitting in a mess of assumed retaliation will just drag you down.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Also, I think you need to realize that you cannot simply state "I"m stressed and depressed and need to go on FMLA". FMLA needs proof and, I believe, even inpatient care at a licensed medical facility. I believe you also have to have worked at that employer for 12 months and based on your posting history I'm not sure if you have worked there that long.

Quit the job. Go seek out medical/mental health counseling. We've basically repeated this advice over and over to you. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:26 PM

70 posts, read 21,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
OP,
I hope you'll learn from this experience that you should never reveal your mental health problems or any other personal issues to people at work. As soon as they know you suffer from mental health, you are viewed as damaged goods. Your career finishes there and then.

Of course, it's retaliation!

Another case of personal information being weaponized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment