U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 PM

660 posts, read 312,786 times

Advertisements

Or maybe if you talked to the employees you would know what they cared about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,478,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what's the point of figuring out if someone is leaving?

Fire them faster? why go through that much and risk paying unemployment too? let them leave?

if anything, it lets employers have a chance at making a counter offer so they stay instead of leave
In the original post, IBM's intent is for retention not firing faster. If somebody is about to fired, you don't need to predict who is leaving. You just let them go.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:23 AM

4,426 posts, read 4,076,919 times
95% accuracy if you're leaving, is when you are not paid well, you hate your job, and you cant see future growth in the company of if the job will even exist, but most important of all you hate your coworkers or have a smothering micromanaging people above you.

My current job pays decent, but its very laid back, management treats you like an adult, in which they dont have to watch your every move and just expects you to do what it right, and will pull you aside if you arent or let you go. This is compared to other jobs I had that paid awful or very well and it was like you were monitored just going to the bathroom and every breath you take and very high turnover.

You dont need AI to predict treating people poorly or paying them poorly for a position which the pay should be much higher (NOT THE $15 min Wage BS) will cause someone to leave.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,074,903 times
Maybe if IBM wasn't sending every US job to India, they wouldn't have to worry about so many people quitting.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,153,937 times
So we want to focus on negativity and who's leaving, and not positivity and what keeps people happy and productive? Talk about the "glass half empty" approach!

The folks creating the software are the ones claiming 95% accuracy. I'd like to see the methodology allegedly used.

You could actually communicate with people, and gain much more information than this software will ever provide.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,091,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
If I've learned anything from following stocks is that that people suck predicting how others will behave. And people suck at creating software that predict how others will behave.
I dunno from nothin' about another HR tool designed to constrict employment, but more directly, I have two words for you: big data. It's utterly transforming behavioral analysis, mostly for negative purposes like marketing, but it's also increasingly applied to public influence. The feeble crap in the last election was just the thin end of the wedge.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 PM

2,477 posts, read 704,890 times
If AI is implemented, there is a 100% chance you're leaving since it will take your job.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 406,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/ibm-...will-quit.html

I think this will also be used to find people to let go. After all, all else being equal, you'll want to retain the one who isn't intendingvon leaving. No more getting fired just for looking for another job: any signs that you want to leave and you could be out the door.
It can be used to improve the situation to retain the workforce instead of letting them walk out the door taking all the company training and experience to their competition. This is a good thing.

I'd like to see actual statistics that people are getting fired if the employer finds out they were looking for a job. Because I don't think in large corporations that is being done frequently. That kind of behavior is something I imagine with a Mom & Pop operation who are offended they don't have you as an employee for life at sub-wages.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:24 AM

8,717 posts, read 3,091,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It can be used to improve the situation to retain the workforce instead of letting them walk out the door taking all the company training and experience to their competition. This is a good thing.
And that nails it, but not in a positive way.

Every one of these filtering, big-data, invasive, crypto technologies has some positive use - in the right hands, it could improve or even transform the subject area or population or lives.

But other than in lab studies and journal writeups, they never are. They are applied to the most base, oppressive, greed-oriented, bottom-line fluffing purposes, and the users never look back because Profit, when not just because Control.

Any company that could analyze its workforce to categorize loyalty would simply use it to oust the dissatisfied and disenchanted... not ever to reach out and see why they're unhappy.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:35 PM

2,477 posts, read 704,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
But will it stop the employers from treating their talent like garbage?

No raise despite "knock the ball out of the park" performance.
100 hour weeks regularly.

Watch how AI will be used to make sure that bad employer behavior happens.

How is this a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment