U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/ibm-...will-quit.html

I think this will also be used to find people to let go. After all, all else being equal, you'll want to retain the one who isn't intendingvon leaving. No more getting fired just for looking for another job: any signs that you want to leave and you could be out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM

780 posts, read 202,631 times
Seems like click bait and more doom and gloom from the W&E forum.

If they want to let you go, for whatever reason, they don't need to invest in expensive AI solutions to figure it out. Instead of allowing yourself to be the victim of any type of RIF, be vigilant and aware of when the writing is on the wall so you can get out ahead of the curve. Sitting around moping about the how the 'end is nigh' is perhaps one of the worst uses of your time and energy, not to mention downright depressing and anxiety inducing.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
This kind of nonsense only benefits a select few; namely software vendors and paranoid HR departments. Everyone else loses.

Think like a machine, or let the machine rule... become part of the machinery. Believing in and serving AI is our newest religion.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 AM

606 posts, read 264,664 times
If I've learned anything from following stocks is that that people suck predicting how others will behave. And people suck at creating software that predict how others will behave.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,165,323 times
(1) She speaks about this technology as if it's only used in a good way, like getting employees to stay, which I don't believe. Later she goes on to say that if you have a skill that isn't good for the future and/or the company, that they could direct a person in the direction they should go, which I don't believe.

(2) If there's something proprietary about it, it sounds like she's getting ready to sell it, as she actually says, "I expect AI will change 100 percent of jobs in the next five to ten years." I hate absolutists who are full of it.

(3) If it does improve HR, however, I wouldn't mind. Almost everywhere I have worked, HR has been awful.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:21 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
AI sounds fancy, but turnover is not rocket science.

It wouldn't surprise if age and salary were the predominant factors in people quitting. I often see entry level employees quit after 2-3 years. They are handed 2-3% raises, while their value may have gone up 30-50%. If an employee was hired with 10 years experience, their market rate doesn't change at 12-13 years experience after adjusting for 2-3%.

Another major factor for predictive analytics would be the manager. If a manager had high turnover for the previous 3 years, you can bet the existing employees are looking for the exits. Some departments are a revolving door due to abuse and mismanagement of employees.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
AI sounds fancy, but turnover is not rocket science.

It wouldn't surprise if age and salary were the predominant factors in people quitting. I often see entry level employees quit after 2-3 years. They are handed 2-3% raises, while their value may have gone up 30-50%. If an employee was hired with 10 years experience, their market rate doesn't change at 12-13 years experience after adjusting for 2-3%.

Another major factor for predictive analytics would be the manager. If a manager had high turnover for the previous 3 years, you can bet the existing employees are looking for the exits. Some departments are a revolving door due to abuse and mismanagement of employees.
And i wouldn't be surprised that the AI software, though not a magic bulket, would have already taken these into account.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And i wouldn't be surprised that the AI software, though not a magic bulket, would have already taken these into account.
That's what I said "major factor in predictive analytics". I wasn't talking about bubble gum.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
what's the point of figuring out if someone is leaving?

Fire them faster? why go through that much and risk paying unemployment too? let them leave?

if anything, it lets employers have a chance at making a counter offer so they stay instead of leave

Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what's the point of figuring out if someone is leaving?

Fire them faster? why go through that much and risk paying unemployment too? let them leave?

if anything, it lets employers have a chance at making a counter offer so they stay instead of leave
They could easily make a misconduct reason to fight UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment