U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 15,830 times

Advertisements

Of course working in any kind of customer service you're bound to get rude if not downright nasty customers, but are there any that stick out? One I remember was when I was working at wal-mart, a woman asked for a particular item and I went and looked for it and even checked the back but it wasn't there and when I told her she kept insisting I look again, I told her I looked all over and she yelled at me "Well you're just useless, aren't you!?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:54 AM

4,825 posts, read 1,990,474 times
I apologized to a customer for the slow speed of the computers. He told me to peddle harder.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Witnessed a customer spit into a bag and then throw the bag at a cashier. Was hoping that upper mgt would press charges because of the body fluids, but they didn't want the bad publicity, so they didn't.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 AM

662 posts, read 223,907 times
Managed a fine jewelry department back in 87. Black October. ...a moron approached the counter, asked to see a serpentine gold necklace. ($1,000 at the time). Proceeded to mangle and scrunch the necklace in a rage all the while screaming about how much his portfolio dropped that day. I will never forget that day.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:24 AM

113 posts, read 46,696 times
Former UPS driver here. There were lots of times during those years that I got blamed for late packages, but one stands out all these years later.

My route included a busy wedding shop, with almost daily deliveries there. One week a wedding dress was late, and I faced increasingly worried inquiries as the big day approached. On Friday, I had to tell the proprietress that, yet again, the box was not on my truck. This brought a tirade about my company, our service, etc. that I stoically listened to. They were panicking because the wedding was the next day.

After returning my truck to the UPS center, I decided to take a chance and hunt for it. Having come up thru the unloader and sorter roles, I knew exactly what path thru conveyor belts and such that it would take. As luck would have it, I found the wedding dress box awaiting loading for next Monday. I grabbed it, and drove my own car 20 miles back to her shop. I figured even if the owner was still peeved, at least the poor bride would have her dress. As it turned out, the owner was really appreciative and insisted on paying for my gas. We remained friends after that, and I was always greeted warmly in her shop.

I guess this one has a happy ending.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:09 AM

6,856 posts, read 3,722,997 times
This isn't what people normally think of as customer service, in one job I was the project engineer for a major customer. This customer was on a hair trigger but I had learned how to manage communications to keep him happy. At one point we decided to change our internal structure and rename our positions. Other than the change in titles, this was totally transparent to the customer and didn't effect them at all. But I also knew this customer would not be happy because he was a total control freak.

Regardless my boss told me to go ahead with the name change and send it out. Sure enough the next morning I got an irate call from the customer who had already called my boss and everyone else he could to complain and told me he was on his way to straighten us out. I had to set up an emergency meeting with the customer, my boss, bosses' boss, etc.

Customer shows up with an entourage and a PowerPoint of how we were going to organize, what the titles would be, and how we needed to understand he was in charge and needed to run everything by him first. Both my boss and his boss totally threw me under the bus, claiming it was all my fault and that I had gone rogue but they would fix it.

Afterward I was reprimanded and threatened with termination if it ever happened again. Uh, what about the fact that you ordered me to do it? Worst boss and worst customer ever.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 PM

792 posts, read 438,782 times
I want to say it was when I worked at Macys. It was the day after Christmas, and everyone who had gotten a watch as a present was bringing them in to have band size adjusted.

Problem was, I had never received thorough training on adjusting watch bands, and some brands were more difficult to work with than others.

Anyhow, so I had this woman come in with her boyfriend, he needed his watch adjusted. It was one of those brands that was difficult, I had a really hard time with it, and all my co-workers were busy, had no one to ask for help.

The customer seemed ok about it, just decided that they'd rather return the watch. I had a feeling she was more upset than she let on, and later I found out she had filled out the "contact us" form,on the Macy's website. (Complained that I had spoiled Christmas, destroyed the watch, ...etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,465,819 times
I worked at a now defunct high end department store in the eastern part of the state, in the management office. We had several New York transplants to the area who really nitpicked our store's selection (of course it didn't compete with New York City). Some were very, very rude. One lady in particular would call every week to talk to the store manager...she criticized the area, the food, the people (called Pennsylvanians "ignorant fah-mahs", etc.) When she'd call the store, the store manager would never talk to her...I had to and often take 20 minutes to a half hour of abuse. This happened about once a week, she'd kvetch about how the chocolates she bought in our candy department "gave her the runs", how the area was unCULchahed, lacking in thee-AY-tuh, co-TOO-yay, rest-RAUNTS. She was miserable. When she'd call me an "ignorant fah-mah", I wanted to counter with, "Who the h*ll do you think feeds your fat a**?", but of course didn't.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:18 PM

4,030 posts, read 7,678,238 times
In the Insurance business taking calls I get some real ugly people. A lot of times field agents selling insurance who don't know the rules, and tell customers the wrong things and screw up the policy. One time an agent called and went ballistic cursing and screaming for a supervisor. I said it would be helpful if you told me why. He wasn't having it. I called a department that handles agents if there are issues. The person was not a supervisor, but I felt it was better that this department would handle rather than a general supervisor. I told the person on the line what was happening. He took the call and the agent started in on him, and said if he was not a supervisor he would not talk to him. I disconnected as I was supposed to as the transfer was made. I heard the agent did get a supervisor. He continued to curse and argue about something he thought should have been corrected. I do not know the full issue. I heard the Supervisor warned him if did not calm down he would no longer sell for the company. He did not and the supervisor went through steps to revoke his license. He called back crying to someone the next day. He was told by management that he made his mistake, and he's done.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,072,937 times
I recall in my brief stint doing the phones at a call center that we hung up on a guy as he was quite upset. (Truthfully, he had a reason to be as I'd be upset if I had to pay $30 just to get a spare key to my safe or whatnot.) He went through the whole escalation stage and my supervisor actually said it was ok to hang up on hi.

At my other job at the call center, doing online stuff, I had this guy that was from Canada and was angry that we shipped through US Postal or UPS or something and complained that it was really slow and wished we'd picked another shipping service. Well, I told him I was doing the best he could and I think maybe he may have complained again, especially as, due to the way the client company set things up, there was NO way to track international shipping. So I think at some point, I said something like "I'm sorry but I do not have the ability to make the postal service go any faster", to where they gave an upset reply. (Later they got their stuff and it was all there, but there still were upset about my remark.)

My supervisor wasn't too thrilled about my remark either and recommended that I not lose my cool next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or