U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:29 PM

31,152 posts, read 13,659,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well there are a lot of non-felons who are homeless and looking for work too. I hope you don't think felons are more deserving Ö
Not more deserving but it makes sense to get them employed. It's been proven that the criminals least likely to recidivate are those with a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 02:41 PM

9,534 posts, read 13,476,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not more deserving but it makes sense to get them employed. It's been proven that the criminals least likely to recidivate are those with a job.
Well I don't feel bad for felons who can't get jobs. They should have thought about that before they committed the crime. You reap what you sow.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:56 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,477,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
and I don't see why you would run a background check on a job applicant unless a criminal conviction is relevant to the position
+1 I've never had a background check for a job. But for my license and AIA membership, I have to disclose anything beyond a speeding ticket.

Quote:
The unwillingness to consider felons for jobs has contributed to homelessness and recidivism.
The fundamental political question - is our criminal justice system for retribution or rehabilitation

Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,477,437 times
Quote:
Well I don't feel bad for felons who can't get jobs. They should have thought about that before they committed the crime. You reap what you sow.
Here's a hypothetical for you.

Say you are out running. You really, really have to pee, so you go into the bushes. Unbeknownst to you, there is an elementary school around the corner. The cop that passes by at just that moment is having a rough day. The prosecutor throws the book at you. Your a felon who is also a sex offender.
Now you should never work again? Just because you didn't want to pee your pants?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,956,245 times
This one is tough, especially involve in stealing from employer. He might still be able to find one, but is going to be super tough.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 PM

9,534 posts, read 13,476,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Here's a hypothetical for you.

Say you are out running. You really, really have to pee, so you go into the bushes. Unbeknownst to you, there is an elementary school around the corner. The cop that passes by at just that moment is having a rough day. The prosecutor throws the book at you. Your a felon who is also a sex offender.
Now you should never work again? Just because you didn't want to pee your pants?
"Peeing in your pants is cool … everyone my age pees their pants, it's the coolest"

LOL, I'm a female. I don't pee in the bushes. I get what you're saying but peeing in bushes is a ticketable offense. Don't do it. How about that? It's the same reason I don't speed or blow through stop signs. I don't need unnecessary sh*t on my record.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:46 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,405,343 times
hypo: peeing in pants has no internet searchable record

Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,558,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Attorneys hire convicted felons all the time to work for them. Perhaps not these big corporate law firms but many small law offices and independent attorneys do hire convicted felons. Nobody would know or even ask about the criminal record of who works for them.

My husband is an attorney with his own small firm and they absolutely background check every employee and would not hire anyone with a criminal record unless it was traffic violations maybe. But stealing from an employer would be a no go.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 20 days ago)

9,727 posts, read 3,705,613 times
Quote:
You don't have to feel sorry for felons, but you should feel sorry for their children and families who did not choose to commit any crime. I know a six-year old girl who sleeps most nights in a truck because her dad (convicted felon) can't get a job. Him being in prison for a couple of years was not her choice. Him being convicted of a felony was not her choice. He is willing and able to work now and that's what should be considered. He was also a non-violent offender.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:20 AM

17,451 posts, read 21,283,365 times
Quote:
Perhaps his only hope may be Politics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or