Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:16 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Usually, lots of variables:

Misdemeanor vs. felony
The charge
Their qualifications

Without knowing about the person in question, seems like a felony theft charge so it'll be tough. Restaurants, esp kitchens, hire a lot of ex-cons. Rough carpenters too.

On the other hand, if they were a CPA and spent a 90 days in jail for going 5 mph over in Virginia, that might not be an issue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I would advise not to mention on application, and hope no one checks. That's what I would do.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Self employment is the most likely answer. Another angle is to perhaps seek a "pardon" from the state. Most states will erase prior non violent convictions after a certain amount of time has passed if the person doesn't commit more crime(s). Not sure if Florida is one such state.

Car dealers are notorious for hiring ex cons as sales men, but living on commission can be tough.

The paralegal angle is a good one, and not as far fetched as most people would think.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?"
hire, maybe.
train, no.

as above, exactly:
1. what was the case disposition?
2. how many months inside?
3. what is the inside record?
4. where was the crime?
5. finally, where is the job?

the State AND City matter for the crime and job.
the DETAILS of the crime and punishment matter.
the best is not what i have. find a paralegal.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:21 PM

632 posts, read 748,693 times
In the past, I've given a few felons a chance. I hated hiring truck drivers and avoided doing the interviews when possible. This particular day I couldn't escape. So when the first interview of the day began with an early middle aged guy with a tear tattoo beneath his eye, I pretty much figured things were not looking up. The guy was a quiet sort but he spoke firmly as he addressed me. He was straight forward about how he was desperate for a job of any kind. He knew the odds were against him finding work. He then told me that he'd recently been paroled on a charge involving the death of another man... thus the tear tattoo. A typical interview would have ended right there, but for whatever reason, this man had my full attention. I let him talk about his past driving jobs and just observed his demeanor as he spoke. Long tale short... I hired him based on a promise I knew I couldn't force him to keep. He swore I'd never regret hiring him. 15 year later he still lived by that promise. One in a thousand?..... perhaps, but we fed his family and sent them all to school with a driver's job. Yes...It can happen.

Last edited by Cedge1; 04-08-2019 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?"
hire, maybe.
train, no.

as above, exactly:
1. what was the case disposition?
2. how many months inside?
3. what is the inside record?
4. where was the crime?
5. finally, where is the job?

the State AND City matter for the crime and job.
the DETAILS of the crime and punishment matter.
the best is not what i have. find a paralegal.
3. Stealing money from his employer.
2. 12 months
3.?
4. South Florida
5. Hollywood Florida

Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Self employment is the most likely answer.
Doing exactly what?

Clients do background checks on their contractors too. Can't pass the criminal background check, they're not getting the 1099 job nor the W2 job.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know of a man that is 27 years old that has been in jail for over a year and now is out looking for a job in South Florida. Having a big problem finding work. Was in jail for stealing from his employer. Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?
He would need to go to his local unemployment office.There they deal with companies that do hire people with a record because they give them tax breaks or incentives for hiring felons.
He needs to check them out first.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
My sister works in HR for a company who hires a lot of ex-cons. It’s a foundry type place, hard work and hot. Tremendous turnover, as a lot of them don’t come back after lunch the first day, or are incapable of getting to work on time and they get fired. Point being, look for jobs most people wouldn’t want to do, or day labor type places. If your friend is committed to turning his life around, I wish him good luck.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know of a man that is 27 years old that has been in jail for over a year and now is out looking for a job in South Florida. Having a big problem finding work. Was in jail for stealing from his employer. Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?
It depends, the biggest problem is getting a hazmat license with a felony on your record, many trucking companies require that you have the permit. UPS hires felons & they pay well so he might want to start there. Walmart claims they hire people with criminal histories but they don't they just find another excuse not to hire the person after they do the background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment