U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 PM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times

Advertisements

I know of a man that is 27 years old that has been in jail for over a year and now is out looking for a job in South Florida. Having a big problem finding work. Was in jail for stealing from his employer. Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM

686 posts, read 249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know of a man that is 27 years old that has been in jail for over a year and now is out looking for a job in South Florida. Having a big problem finding work. Was in jail for stealing from his employer. Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?
Nowadays, it's very hard to find a job when you have a past criminal record because with the computer and internet, employers can find your bad record very easily. And not many employers want to hire someone with such record.

There may be one in a thousand chance. Or a relative who owns a business could excuse him and hire him. Or he could go to college to take some trade program and start his own small business. Start from small and expand eventually if he is willing to work hard and improve. He really needs his family and close friends (if he has) to support him.

I wish him good luck. I think everyone deserves a second chance.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
Since he was convicted of stealing from his employer, he's not going to get any job that is about finance or handling valuables. He screwed the pooch.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:21 AM

111 posts, read 44,812 times
Quote:
Will trucking companies train and hire him with a record?

Former truck driver here (long time ago, and local instead of OTR). During a series of RIFs several years ago, I began researching truck driving. I thought at my age I was unlikely to get rehired in software development and was looking at driving as a backstop. I joined several truck driver forums (fora?) and remember a lot of discussion about former felons applying. I'm sorry I can't give you details, but from what I remember, employers did hire felons but most required a year out of jail with no problems with the law. I remember the drivers discussing certain felonies that were unacceptable to the companies, but I'm not sure which.

Sorry I don't have any more detail, but I suspect perusing the forums will find the questions asked and answered (as an example).

The link below is the one I spend the most time on, since they had the major companies divided into individual topics.

https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/

Best of luck to your friend.

If you'll forgive an anecdote, I know that felons are sometimes employed with moving companies. I used to be a contract engineer (hobo with a degree) who worked frequent short term contracts. We moved A LOT during this time and once hired a former felon who had started his own moving company. Over time, we ended up using him exclusively after he got all the permits/licenses/etc. He employed some who had served time but was very watchful. I remember more than once, watching all our possessions and our car (on a trailer) disappear around a corner and thinking -- If all my stuff disappears, I'm gonna feel really stupid. But it worked out OK, and I suppose helped the guy get restarted in the workforce.

Note: RIF = Reduction In Force. Management weasel words to avoid the word "layoff".

Old 04-05-2019, 05:00 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
I know of a man that is 27 years old that has been in jail for over a year ...
Was in jail for stealing from his employer.

Having a big problem finding work.
No doubt.
Absent some truly unique and needed talent that outweigh the negative...
why would ANY employer even consider the risk?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,477,998 times
Go to your local People Ready office and hope to find a company that will hire direct. Stealing is going to be a tough one. You can also try the network marketing industry. Some companies Don't do background checks..

Pay the entry fee and start selling and recruiting.. Your best bet is self employment..

Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM

1,825 posts, read 782,085 times
Quote:
With theft charges it might be difficult. Does he have a mechanical inclination? Car mechanic or auto body repair might be a good choice. Carpentry trade is also a good. He needs to prove himself and after a while people won't be too concerned about a mistake.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,446 posts, read 3,634,340 times
A lot of people who have been incarcerated, can often find careers as paralegals because they've already had experience doing legal research, there are law libraries in prisons so they have experience in this. There is nothing preventing someone with a criminal past from working under the direction of an attorney, either, since there are is no special licensing requiring to work as a paralegal.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:28 PM

2,655 posts, read 1,546,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of people who have been incarcerated, can often find careers as paralegals because they've already had experience doing legal research, there are law libraries in prisons so they have experience in this. There is nothing preventing someone with a criminal past from working under the direction of an attorney, either, since there are is no special licensing requiring to work as a paralegal.

I highly doubt most attorneys would hire him. I would think something more like construction or landscaping may have better odds.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,446 posts, read 3,634,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I highly doubt most attorneys would hire him. I would think something more like construction or landscaping may have better odds.
Attorneys hire convicted felons all the time to work for them. Perhaps not these big corporate law firms but many small law offices and independent attorneys do hire convicted felons. Nobody would know or even ask about the criminal record of who works for them.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 04-08-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or