U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,130,291 times
Reputation: 10288

Advertisements

As always, underemployment continues to be swept under the rug. It’s also easy to manipulate the data to suit your own personal agendas. Companies do this all the time

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-16-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2019, 08:37 PM
 
2,454 posts, read 699,218 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Care to share the source for these statistics?
Labor participation rate: 63%.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...icipation-rate
Recent low was 62.4%.

U-7 "Solman Scale" is north of 10%

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...loyment-number

Underemployment is a big problem in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,939 posts, read 8,766,025 times
Reputation: 14221
Gig economy is the reason. A lot of people working gig jobs and not real career oriented jobs these days. If you started a gig job you no longer qualify for unemployment. I noticed a lot of millennials are doing gig jobs that are once meant for retirees.

Car services used to employ lots of old folks to drive around suburbia. Now Uber/Lyft completing dominated the industry and they are mostly driven by people under 40.

Food deliveries and package handling is the fastest gig jobs out there and I've seen a lot of folks 30 something dropping off fast food, groceries, and delivering Amazon packages. All these jobs allow a person to make around $40k annually with no benefits and little means to save for retirement etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 PM
 
2,454 posts, read 699,218 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All these jobs allow a person to make around $40k annually
And that number is the gross amount. The net amount, after expenses, double social security taxes and double medicare taxes means they're not even making minimum wage after accounting for all the hours worked. And if they don't pay estimated taxes quarterly, they're going to get hit every year with a balance due plus penalties and interest. If they're using their car and don't have special livery insurance, they won't cover anything done while being lyft/uber. And let's talk about zero worker's comp insurance too. Car accident and you can't work anymore? Game over for you.

The gig economy, a pathway to poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,606 posts, read 3,676,728 times
Reputation: 19732
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
In my state WA the Unemployment Office will play dirty with claim filing. If you get laid off from your job, they will reach out to previous employers and even some temp jobs you did and ask did this person turn down any shifts at all ranging from a few hours to a day. If they receiver a yes from previous employers they will turn your claim to " active" status and leave it there till you run out of patience and don't pursue your UI claim or till you sue. .
Do you mean they reach out to employers where you worked before the employer who laid you off? That doesn't make sense.

I tell everyone who is on UI benefits not to work for temp agencies; they will often lie and claim a person turned down work or quit an assignment, when they did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gig economy is the reason. A lot of people working gig jobs and not real career oriented jobs these days. If you started a gig job you no longer qualify for unemployment. I noticed a lot of millennials are doing gig jobs that are once meant for retirees.

Car services used to employ lots of old folks to drive around suburbia. Now Uber/Lyft completing dominated the industry and they are mostly driven by people under 40.

Food deliveries and package handling is the fastest gig jobs out there and I've seen a lot of folks 30 something dropping off fast food, groceries, and delivering Amazon packages. All these jobs allow a person to make around $40k annually with no benefits and little means to save for retirement etc.
Yeah though that is people period. The type of jobs perhaps are based around age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
And that number is the gross amount. The net amount, after expenses, double social security taxes and double medicare taxes means they're not even making minimum wage after accounting for all the hours worked. And if they don't pay estimated taxes quarterly, they're going to get hit every year with a balance due plus penalties and interest. If they're using their car and don't have special livery insurance, they won't cover anything done while being lyft/uber. And let's talk about zero worker's comp insurance too. Car accident and you can't work anymore? Game over for you.

The gig economy, a pathway to poverty.
The issue is people are using a side-hustle, a supplemental job as a patchwork of jobs to replace a normal job. I'm not saying that these jobs are good, but they are meant to be a side-hustle rather than a real job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM
 
2,454 posts, read 699,218 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is people are using a side-hustle, a supplemental job as a patchwork of jobs to replace a normal job. I'm not saying that these jobs are good, but they are meant to be a side-hustle rather than a real job.
We have long term full time jobs replaced by shorter term full time jobs. Shorter term full time jobs replaced by contracts. Contracts replaced by gigs. It is like musical chairs.

But don't panic! The talking heads are saying the economy is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
We have long term full time jobs replaced by shorter term full time jobs. Shorter term full time jobs replaced by contracts. Contracts replaced by gigs. It is like musical chairs.

But don't panic! The talking heads are saying the economy is awesome!
Yet a number of those experts had the same complaints in the Obama days.. Like those claiming that saying the market to correct is cheerleading for a recession under Trump, yet freely said it was coming under Obama even though economically we haven't really changed from Obama to Trump. Trump is just Obama but minus ObamaCare and more corrupt. Sorry I went political here but we really haven't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top