Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM

45 posts, read 29,984 times

Advertisements

I have one count of stalking and one count of harassment on my criminal record. Both are misdemeanors and both occurred at the same time (single incident) back in 2016.

I discovered I cannot expunge these convictions, and I cannot seal them from employment background checks for at least 10 years.

What are the likely consequences regarding employment, and what are the best options?

My goal is to become self-employed.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It depends on the employer and job. Not all employers do background checks, and those that do may only do it for specific positions where there are opportunities for foul play. In my case, you would not be hired, because my people need to get a certification that requires a clean record. Apply for jobs where the job announcement does not mention a background check for the best chance of success.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It depends on the job and the employer. Roofing, construction and food service seem pretty forgiving. What skills/education do you have?

Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It depends on the job and the employer. Roofing, construction and food service seem pretty forgiving. What skills/education do you have?
I am a former EMT. I am skilled in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and SQL.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Based on your skills I would have said healthcare IT but I don’t think you’d pass the background check to qualify for the positions because they’re pretty stringent since you deal with PHI. I think it will be a significant barrier in any healthcare related field.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Based on your skills I would have said healthcare IT but I don’t think you’d pass the background check to qualify for the positions because they’re pretty stringent since you deal with PHI. I think it will be a significant barrier in any healthcare related field.

I thought about software engineering and web application development.

Would employers look at the individual circumstances and give me the benefit of the doubt (considering my young age, the sequence of events, etc.)?

You can read the whole story here:
I am struggling severely. How do I keep going?

Also, sort of off topic, but I noticed this forum does not have SSL protection.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:58 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Your challenge is that you need to be able to really explain why you aren't a potential threat, and that you're going to be at the very least just as good as all of the applicants who don't have a criminal history. That's the pitch you need to be working on.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It depends on the employer and job. Not all employers do background checks, and those that do may only do it for specific positions where there are opportunities for foul play. In my case, you would not be hired, because my people need to get a certification that requires a clean record. Apply for jobs where the job announcement does not mention a background check for the best chance of success.
What type of positions do you oversee?

Old 04-04-2019, 01:03 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Many people work IT jobs from home and their background check might not matter much, depending on what is in it. I don't know if those you mentioned are felony or misdemeanors. I do transcription from home and one the companies I work for did not require a background check of any sort (didn't even ask for references). The other transcription company I work for required a full background check including fingerprint cards, because it involves transcription of legal related documents and police interviews.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many people work IT jobs from home and their background check might not matter much, depending on what is in it. I don't know if those you mentioned are felony or misdemeanors. I do transcription from home and one the companies I work for did not require a background check of any sort (didn't even ask for references). The other transcription company I work for required a full background check including fingerprint cards, because it involves transcription of legal related documents and police interviews.
They were both misdemeanor convictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment