U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 PM

39 posts, read 13,966 times

Advertisements

Right now, I commute 45 minutes to Downtown Nashville and work a job I love for about $20 per hour. Not bad, but rent is so high around Nashville right now that it would take two weeks take home pay instead of one, which is what has me looking for something better.

I live at my brother's house for now, but want to get out on my own.

I was living in Phoenix for a few years, and paying almost 2 weeks take home pay for rent, when I took on a truck payment, thinking I could make the numbers work, but I was seriously wrong.

I work in broadcasting and know how to do everything related, so I'm looking around here in TN and in Texas where I lived briefly twice before. I liked living in Texas a lot, but TN is also good.

So I'm looking for the same pay (or more) but a much shorter commute and lower rent (and cost for a house eventually.)

I also am getting old and working at night and overnights is starting to be to hard on me, which is why I've been looking for a more administrative position with regular hours. I thought about working on a morning show, but getting up at 2AM would still cause me the same problems, I'm afraid.

A medium size town, or one close to a big city would be ideal.

Anyone ever do something similar so you could be independent and solvent? For the past 15 years or so, every time I went elsewhere to support myself, I always ended up bankrupt. This will be my third bankruptcy since 1996.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 PM

2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
Teach ESL in a 2nd world country....

Broadcasting sucks. Admin jobs pay sh**

Rise up the ranks in Japan or Thailand learn the local language and become a Teacher supervisor you can make 55-65k with low housing costs. You will never go bankrupt again.

3 times has got to be a record though....How old are you? My Pops is 55 and only went bankrupt twice

Old 04-09-2019, 08:15 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
You're looking to make a career change or are you just looking to relocate to a better job market for your existing field?

If you decide to do a career change, remember that you are likely to have to start over at the bottom - entry level - and there are no entry level jobs, except sales or Mcjobs that require no experience. Employers won't count your previous experience in your old roles.

If you do a relocation, do research on the rents. Figure out what the cost to move would be fore you. You can ask an employer to fund your relocation costs but most employers don't want to do that.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,457,526 times
NYC is great for broadcasting.

Pro - they pay very well.
Con - it's expensive to live.

On the whole, I find the people working in media here do pretty well for themselves.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:01 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
I would try other mid-sized metros throughout the South or Midwest. Nashville has become prohibitively expensive for many people over the last several years, and wages in Tennessee tend to be lower than in similar states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or