U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM

544 posts, read 527,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
^ I see. Well, no matter what they say about it being "culturally/socially acceptable" to call others fat, please don't assume that ALL black women are fine w/ it. As many of us know, it's extremely, extremely hard to say the words, "all, only, one" about ANYTHING.

Yes definitely, those words are have no place in a workplace and it's not something I would be comfortable I would be saying to anyone despite their culture or race. And I wasn't generalizing , I apologize if came off that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 AM

588 posts, read 302,621 times
My co-exercise leader has probably gained 50 pounds in the past few years. I haven't said anything so as not to hurt her feelings, but it doesn't look good for the teacher to be so heavy.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,506,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
One of my co workers said I'm getting fat and she was like look at your behind..referring to my butt since I'm pear shaped and bottom heavy. I'm 5'3 and about 136 lbs. Used to be lighter but gained few pounds

Ofcourse I was offended by it. when she asked me for something I said no, you called me fat. Then she was like oh you look good. The extra pounds suits you. You're not fat.I will let it go for now but she makes those remarks again I will report her

Would they overlook this ? Comments like this are hurtful and my clothes already tells me I'm gaining weight and don't need her to point it out. Should I report her?
Maybe best response is to just smile and ignore her? Life's too short to be offended by words from every idiot that walks by.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,693,117 times
Quote:
I work in Nursing home and it's quite rampart in my workplace where some people think it's socially acceptable. I've heard it countless times of co workers commenting on other co workers weight. And it's always black women that does this. Not trying to bring up the race card but that's what I noticed. And some even say it's acceptable in their culture
See, what did I tell you?!? I knew it as soon as I read the original post...LOL!

And before anyone flies off the rails, I'm Black myself, which is why I already knew.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 AM

15,749 posts, read 26,791,577 times
Some people have no filter. I don't let others comments bother me with looks.

I have two issues that I take exception to.

1. Lack of respect for the field that I am in or where I am on the playing field. An example: Earlier in the year we were hiring assistant Maintenance Tech's in our department. A girl that worked in the Cath Lab was asking me about the position. She wanted to get her husband a job at the hospital. She asked about our department. We have assistants and then we have Building Engineer 1 thru 5. I am a Building Engineer 5, as well as overseeing Construction and Special Projects. I am up there near the top of the food chain.

I told this girl that depending on what a person knows is where they will start. Some start as assistants and some are brought in as a Building Engineer 1. She asked if I was an Assistant and for some reason this upset me. I didn't show it to her. I was amazed. Most people know who I am and what I have accomplished here at the Healthcare System. For some reason what she said got to me.

My wife is in Nursing. When they found out that I work in Facilities the thought from a couple of her co-workers was that we are low paid. My wife did not tell them what I make but told them that my pay was similar to an RN's. Realize that RN's can easily make $100,000 a year around here.

2. I get upset when someone claims they can do my job better than I can. Years ago I had a manager that was telling me how to repair locks. I was working on a job at the hospital and he was telling me how to complete my work. I am a Master locksmith. That is why I was originally hired for the job. Over the past 21 years I have learned the Facilities industry backwards and forwards. I am an accomplished Energy Manager, Certified Building Operator, Certified Healthcare Facilities Manager. I have been a Project Manager for several years now. I have worked hard to build my facilities career.

What I look like, how much I eat, who I sleep with, don't have anything to do with the job. I don't place too much respect toward people that want to judge me in the workplace for non workplace things. Unless those things are hurting my job performance I see them as non issues.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:46 AM

558 posts, read 159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Seriously, "fit shaming?" I am tall and if someone jokes how is the weather up there? Is that tall shaming and I should be offended and rush to HR, file a formal complaint and fill out a "TPS report".

People razz each other. For me that was something that went on almost everywhere I worked. Your co-workers are probably envious that you have such amazing self control.

America needs to lighten up. Everything is not harassment. Every comment that is not filled with adulation does not need the word shaming added to it.
I didn't say all that, and not sure what lines you read between to get that out of it. I am just saying that if one kind of shaming is bad, so is the other. We cannot draw a line in the sane and say "ok to make fun of this person, but not that one". Has to be equal. I am looking for consistency and non-hypocritical ways of behaving. I am actually nearly impossible to offend because my general attitude is "always go for the joke. Laughter is the biggest connector of people"

Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM

1,419 posts, read 549,633 times
Quote:
I work in Nursing home and it's quite rampart in my workplace where some people think it's socially acceptable. I've heard it countless times of co workers commenting on other co workers weight. And it's always black women that does this. Not trying to bring up the race card but that's what I noticed. And some even say it's acceptable in their culture
The worst. And I am a black woman so nobody start jumping on my back. BW hate on everything and everyone. Come in with a cute hairdo, they're hating. A new purse? Hating. New shoes? Hating. A new boyfriend? Hating. SMDH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment