Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:01 PM

576 posts, read 823,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You decided to not cooperate with a coworker because she made an observation about something in your control. Why do you care?

Being offended is a choice.
Good question is why does she care even if I'm size of house? What does it have anything to do with my work interactions with her? Just because you see it doesn't make it your business. And how do you know it's within my control? What if I was on medications that causing me to gain weight? what if I can't exercise due to injury? How would you know that? Yes sure, I would want a co worker who knows nothing about my life to remind me as if I won't notice my clothes fitting in tighter and the numbers on the scale increase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM

70 posts, read 47,076 times
OP. The bottom line is her comment was rude and uncalled for. You need to tell her that in no uncertain terms. Otherwise, she might jerk you around with similar comments.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
Good question is why does she care even if I'm size of house? What does it have anything to do with my work interactions with her? Just because you see it doesn't make it your business. And how do you know it's within my control? What if I was on medications that causing me to gain weight? what if I can't exercise due to injury? How would you know that? Yes sure, I would want a co worker who knows nothing about my life to remind me as if I won't notice my clothes fitting in tighter and the numbers on the scale increase
No clue why either one of you care.

I do not understand people who are compelled to tell people what they already know, just as I don't understand people being offended when they do.

Taking offense is a choice.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
If it happens again, quietly say, "You are rude and unkind. Please mind your own business."

Clear, professional, adult communication. Repeat as needed.
Do NOT bad mouth her to your coworkers or bosses.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Question to the OP:

you said you guys were not/are not close friends outside of work, merely co-workers, I'm guessing. What were your feelings toward her already? Did it make you more upset because of some pre-conceived feelings or ideas about the person from whom the words came?

How would it have been different, if at all, if you worked with a close friend, or some other person for whom you carried admiration or affection, and that person uttered the same words?

I just get the impression it may have been the person who said it, that person's delivery of the message, and preconceived feelings that is the main part of the problem

I have been on the OTHER (your co-worker's) side. I got reported (and written up!!!) because someone who I liked and considered a "work friend" was upset when I called her "Miss Thang"- ya know, the old 1980's/90's way of referring to someone. I call friends, kids, family that too, and to me is a term of endearment more than anything. I was so hurt that she would report this as offensive. I found another job. Looking back, it HAD to be because she just always distrusted me, or felt threatened, or....whatever

Old 04-08-2019, 02:33 PM

209 posts, read 292,355 times
Just a quick note here, but, some work places do have a policy against any actions that may create a hostile work environment. I've worked at such a facility and have known people to be given verbal reprimands for far less than pointing out someone may have gained weight.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I often internally play the Winston Churchill remark when he was broached by a lady.
Winston you are drunk!
His reply: why yes I am! And your ugly!.
But in the morning..I'll be sober...and you'll still be ugly.

Point being...some things said are just ugly.

I rarely shoot the messenger unless they are being petulant and churlish. Otherwise when a complete stranger mentioned that I could lose a few pounds...I said..yes I could. And then did something about it. The delivery (tone) can be re processed . The stranger wasn't shaming my being...I figured the intent was a tip or suggestion one is free to ponder.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:27 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
Just a quick note here, but, some work places do have a policy against any actions that may create a hostile work environment. I've worked at such a facility and have known people to be given verbal reprimands for far less than pointing out someone may have gained weight.
Yes there are hostile workplace policies but one important key to triggering them is a pattern of behavior. One unwelcome comment is just that. If this person kept making such comments even after being asked to MYOB then it may be time to pursue it. Adults are expected to handle personal affairs individually first, then get help if that doesn't work.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Because OP is more professional than her coworker and knows she doesn't have to say everything on her mind in the workplace? She told the woman her comments were offensive. Telling her to work on her own ass first wouldn't have helped the situation and would've made her no better. (It probably would've done the woman good to hear it leveled right back at her, but sometimes at work you have to keep your mouth shut, even if the other person needs to hear it, because that's not the kind of behavior that belongs at work.)
Good grief, I wasn't advocating for her to make snarky comments in return. I do think that she would have done better to state her comments (minus the snark) to her co-worker and stand up for herself rather than coming to a message board to make them. I simply don't have a lot of sympathy for people who are incapable of handling something in person, but then come here to talk brave on an anonymous forum.
So basically this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It’s absolutely rude! There’s nothing to report. If someone on my team reported something like that I would ask “how did you deal with it? “. You’re an adult and need to work out problems with them directly.
Quote:
The truth I'm already aware of ? . And how is it even relevant to point out in the workplace? If I want your opinion, I'd ask for it
Wow, I missed this. OP you posted on a forum, you did ask for opinions by doing so.
I feel like your anger is more about the fact that you are unhappy with yourself and your weight more than anything. Seems as though your co-worker hit a very raw nerve and you want to retaliate.

Last edited by DubbleT; 04-08-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 03:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Seriously the fact that you didn't do something because you didn't like what she says is just as bad. If I found out my team was pulling any of this they would get a warning. It isn't acceptable for you to not do your job because you were offended.

I had my boss be an absolute ***** to me at a sales conference, demeaned me in front of everyone. The next day I had to provide her with information for her presentation. I wonder where I would be right now if I said "nope, you were mean to me".

You are the only one that can control your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment