U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:31 PM

4,876 posts, read 1,549,486 times

Advertisements

Oh okay thanks, sorry I missed the link before. Well Colorado is quite for from me but maybe it will be worth it. I live in Canada though, so not sure if the classes will translate well to a Canadian PI job, but maybe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:14 AM

6,161 posts, read 6,329,541 times
I do not have a lot of faith in aptitude tests. Chasing after a career because a computer said it was a good fit probably won't end well if you don't also have a passion for that line of work. In my opinion you would be better off first deciding what you really would like to do and then doing the research to see if you have the skills or can get the skills needed to do the job. You also have to decide if you are willing to put forth the effort required to get the job.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,082,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well the reason why I quit two prior jobs was because of physical health problems. One was freezing cold, the other was they didn't have enough toilets for the employees to use and not being able to go to the bathroom throughout day was causing me health problems. So it wasn't about changing attitude, it was about health, and I cannot change my body around. If I have health problems, in a certain environment, the only way to remedy them, is to get out that environment. A person change their attitude, but not their physical health, can they?

One job I quit cause I didn't like being bullied by a sociopathic boss, and I quit out of self-respect and dignity but that's not so bad, is it? The boss told employees that life would be better off if they were dead, and he also threatened to kill me right to my face if I failed to perform a certain task once.

So is really such a bad attitude, to quit working for someone like that?

My advice was just general advice and it applies moving forward. I just think we get caught up in finding our "dream job" sometimes

Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 AM

15,750 posts, read 26,796,503 times
I think you are looking at this all wrong.

What I would suggest is to determine the lifestyle that you want to live. Figure out how long you need to work to save the money needed to finance that lifestyle when you are no longer working. A job is not the end goal, a job is a means to accomplishing an end goal.

Here is what I would do.

Get some paper and create your life. This is the life you want, Include the home you want to live in, the car you will drive, the people you will have in your life, do you have a spouse or kids. What kind of vacations will you take? How much do you plan to save each year? How much will you invest for retirement?

What will it cost to have your ideal life?

You can not spin your wheels in jobs that do not finance the lifestyle you are willing to live. You can not settle for employment that will not bring you closer to getting your ideal lifestyle. Anything less is a waste of time.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:30 AM

Okay thanks. One thing I have had a habit of is saying yes to the first place that offers me a job, cause I am afraid of not knowing, how long I will be out of work for, if I don't.

For example, the last place I worked, was one place I happened to send a resume too, not knowing much about the company and I immediately got a call. They wanted me to start right away, without even having an interview. I asked if I could at least take a tour of the place, and see what it's all about, but they said that if I didn't say yes now, they will have to ask the next applicant, so I said yes, and it turned out to be one of the two worst places I've ever worked.

And just today, something similar happened with a new job, where they called right away after applying and seems like they want me to work right away, not knowing much about it, and not sure if I should take it.

But should I be more picky, and not worry so much about not having a job maybe, until I find something I'm more certain on? Like this current job I applied for called me right away and they want an answer soon, and I'm afraid to say no, but also afraid to say yes, if it looks bad to have another job I really don't like as well...

Last edited by ironpony; 04-11-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 01:28 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,564,546 times
Quote:
I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
Successful people make use of the opportunities given to them.

If you think you will be a good film director , then focus your energies there and seek opportunities by working dead end jobs. If you want to get a much better job, then go to college and accept a job that comes after that. 2 clear choices .

Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Okay thanks. I am finding it difficult to both seek director opportunities, and direct dead end jobs. For example, I got offered a job to co-direct a feature film in July, but I would have to take the whole month off to do it, where as a lot of jobs that are hiring, are not going to want you to take a whole month of course. So things like that make it challenging to work a job while seeking directing opportunities.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,835,513 times
You have to do something that the world wants done, whether that’s flipping burgers or managing a corporation makes no difference.

You want a job that’s not dead end, then you need to acquire skills that are not dead end.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,564,546 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I am finding it difficult to both seek director opportunities, and direct dead end jobs. For example, I got offered a job to co-direct a feature film in July, but I would have to take the whole month off to do it, where as a lot of jobs that are hiring, are not going to want you to take a whole month of course. So things like that make it challenging to work a job while seeking directing opportunities.
If thats your passion then take the film. And do some graveyard shift job to pay the bills. I mean its easy to advice you to work your butttt off , but that is the only way to make more money.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM

Oh yeah, it's just that the shifts always seem to collide in past filmming projects. I haven't been able to solve the problem with graveyard shifts cause half the shifts in shooting might be graveyard and they keep changing, which is why they want me to have a very free schedule in filmmaking, since locations will be only available to shoot in at vastly different times, unlike a steady shift. But I can see if I can find some job to work in between... Perhaps there is some way to make it work.

Last edited by ironpony; 04-11-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or