U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 PM

3,624 posts, read 1,563,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh yeah, it's just that the shifts always seem to collide in past filmming projects. I haven't been able to solve the problem with graveyard shifts cause half the shifts in shooting might be graveyard and they keep changing, which is why they want me to have a very free schedule in filmmaking, since locations will be only available to shoot in at vastly different times, unlike a steady shift. But I can see if I can find some job to work in between... Perhaps there is some way to make it work.
good luck..sometimes we may never get the chance to pursur our dreams , or we may have missed that opportunity to pursue it when it was about to come ..I have experience with it and know how it feels . So go for it. And if you have family dont make them suffer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 PM

356 posts, read 84,129 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I am finding it difficult to both seek director opportunities, and direct dead end jobs. For example, I got offered a job to co-direct a feature film in July, but I would have to take the whole month off to do it, where as a lot of jobs that are hiring, are not going to want you to take a whole month of course. So things like that make it challenging to work a job while seeking directing opportunities.
Quit dead end job #1
Co-direct film
Return to Canada and pick up dead end job #2

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 PM

4,875 posts, read 1,549,486 times
Oh okay, thanks, but I won't have to return to Canada, the script is being shot here.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM

356 posts, read 84,129 times
Quote:
Oh okay, thanks, but I won't have to return to Canada, the script is being shot here.
Are you going to do anything this time? If not you're continuing to waste good people's time.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:36 AM

15,749 posts, read 26,791,577 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I am finding it difficult to both seek director opportunities, and direct dead end jobs. For example, I got offered a job to co-direct a feature film in July, but I would have to take the whole month off to do it, where as a lot of jobs that are hiring, are not going to want you to take a whole month of course. So things like that make it challenging to work a job while seeking directing opportunities.
Sometimes the only way to get an opportunity is to let go of what is holding you back. If you have a desire to direct and have an offer in hand, maybe it is time to walk away from anything that is keeping you from Directing.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 PM

117 posts, read 39,257 times
Quote:
I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
If you are "low-skill," and do not see yourself becoming "high-skill," you best place to work is in the government, since at the lower levels they pay better than private sector work. As far as deciding what to do, the best test (and I have taken a lot) IMO is the Interest Assessment at CareerOneStop. But one thing to keep in mind is that you must be practicable. I studied to be a business education teacher but can't really be one unless I relocate, which is something I cannot do because of my home life.
Although being a teacher is more or less the job I would be most happy with--at least if I am restricting myself to jobs that would pay a middle-class or higher salary.

If I were you, I when trying to find a job that is a good fit I would consider the following: A), a job pays a middle-class wage or higher; B) a job that does not "feel" like work to you; C), a job that is in high demand in your area and is expected to be so for the next couple decades.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Are you going to do anything this time? If not you're continuing to waste good people's time.
What do you mean waste good people's time? Who's time am I wasting, the people I would work with if making the movie?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 PM

4,054 posts, read 7,333,970 times
Let’s go back to photography a minute. With little or no professional skills, you could start out taking pictures (studio shots) of kids at Walmart. Maybe do Little League team pictures. Candids at college parties. Become as assistant to someone who does wedding photography and learn that. And so on.

Here’s a career path of a “kid” I’ve known a long time. He’s 40 now. He started working in high school as a sacker in a grocery store. Did a good job and got a promotion to produce clerk. Got to be friends with a merchandiser (we’ll call him A) for a major food manufacturer. Basically a person stocking shelves of that company’s product at a number of stores. “A” told my friend about a opportunity with his company as a relief merchandiser, filling in for vacations and such. “A” put in a good word and my friend got the job. Worked up to a regular merchandiser job. Next step was to become a sales rep - the guy who decides what products the merchandiser is going to stock. Did that for a few years. Went to community college part time. Got a sales job with another food manufacturer. Now he’s working for a company who represents a lot of different food companies, and is making a 6 figure salary. I doubt he had any career plan when he started sacking at the grocery store. But a combination of hard work, meeting people and some good luck has given him a good career with nothing more than an associates degree.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:45 AM

Yep I could start out by taking pics of kids at Walmart. I was actually offered that exact job at Wal-Mart actually but my family talked me out of it, saying it was the lowest paying job I was offered and should take a hire paying one with more hours instead. Maybe I should have taken it...

I wonder if maybe I should start my own business in something film related and that might help rather than relying on someone else to make me a part of their business perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or