Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
Growing up, I learned to do several kinds of skilled work and was good at them. But just because I could do something well, didn't mean that I would want do it full-time, as a career. So instead of building houses or doing concrete work, one job I did for several years was as an insurance investigator, which often involved evaluating structures. And also invoked some things I'd learned in college as a biology and human physiology student, when I reviewed cases with health or disability coverage. Finding one job that utilized several of my skills, worked out nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
ironypony....
I sense that sometimes its the person , not the place or thing that is creating this discontent. Has that occurred to you that maybe ...just maybe the attitude is in need of restructuring?

I often think there should be a job skill geared for chronic complainers....Surely there is SOMETHING out there to take a negative and profit from it? When I had ...YEARS AGO....been asked about my complaint level... I said...Ohhh its pretty Good! turns out that I was a perfectionist and ergo....a complete complainer. I no longer seek perfection or actually care to be around someone of that nature. Improving is a different nature then a Perfectionist looking to find flaws every step of the way...egads....

So maybe you can figure out which way you lean...complainer or improver?

If you wish to improve.....find a state funded career center and take a test for skills and adaptability.

Granted the One I was told to pursue based on my strength is Sales...which is not my happy go lucky career style.....

Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I was tired of "searching" for some mythical calling of mine. I picked accounting as my major, went to college, worked hard and got a job before graduating.

Is accounting my passion/calling? ABSOLUTLEY NOT. But I work hard at it. I am always looking for better opportunities, to learn more, to move up, etc. I want the stability, so I work for it. I take pride in any work I do, love it or hate it. I don't live to work, but I still work hard when I am. You have to have the right attitude about it and you're in control of that.

Some people can find their passion in their careers, while some of us just need to pay the bills and fund our passions outside of work.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
Honestly when I graduated college, I had no clue. A company hired me. I needed money and I accepted. 15 years later I'm still doing it & love it

Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Ironpony, let's say you DID want to be a photographer. A career path might be, something like, starting out being a photographer's assistant, and then maybe you work as a newspaper photographer, and as you gain experience, move up to National Geographic. (I know...sounds a little extreme...but with most paths of employment...there IS a path...you just need some direction to find the path.

Aptitude testing would help with that.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I was tired of "searching" for some mythical calling of mine. I picked accounting as my major, went to college, worked hard and got a job before graduating.

Is accounting my passion/calling? ABSOLUTLEY NOT. But I work hard at it. I am always looking for better opportunities, to learn more, to move up, etc. I want the stability, so I work for it. I take pride in any work I do, love it or hate it. I don't live to work, but I still work hard when I am. You have to have the right attitude about it and you're in control of that.

Some people can find their passion in their careers, while some of us just need to pay the bills and fund our passions outside of work.
Well the reason why I quit two prior jobs was because of physical health problems. One was freezing cold, the other was they didn't have enough toilets for the employees to use and not being able to go to the bathroom throughout day was causing me health problems. So it wasn't about changing attitude, it was about health, and I cannot change my body around. If I have health problems, in a certain environment, the only way to remedy them, is to get out that environment. A person change their attitude, but not their physical health, can they?

One job I quit cause I didn't like being bullied by a sociopathic boss, and I quit out of self-respect and dignity but that's not so bad, is it? The boss told employees that life would be better off if they were dead, and he also threatened to kill me right to my face if I failed to perform a certain task once.

So is really such a bad attitude, to quit working for someone like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Ironpony, let's say you DID want to be a photographer. A career path might be, something like, starting out being a photographer's assistant, and then maybe you work as a newspaper photographer, and as you gain experience, move up to National Geographic. (I know...sounds a little extreme...but with most paths of employment...there IS a path...you just need some direction to find the path.

Aptitude testing would help with that.
Okay thanks. The aptitude test I took said PI work would be a good fit for me, unless I didn't take the best aptitude test before. As for photography work, I could start out as an assistant, sure. Just haven't seen hardly any jobs in that area, where there is a lot of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPIACtraining View Post
PI work can be a great full-time job! If you're interested in learning to become a PI, there's a 3-day school coming up in May that will help you get a direction and a plan. No college necessary. The link is- https://ppiac.org/event-3266664
Well I was told by another PI that there is not enough work to be full time but maybe I could do it part time. The only thing is, is that he said if you have a full time other job, it will interfere with that, and you won't have time to do both since PI work, involves hours that change all the time, and you won't be able to have another job around that. So it's only part time, but the hours change so much, you cannot have another job around that, he said.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Liking and being good @ one's job is no doubt important but also important is making sure it can pay the bills. You don't have to LOVE what you're doing, as long as it is honest work and can pay your bills then I think that's ok.

I have a friend who has a hobby that he does and tries to make money from it. Can't pay bills for sh*t but loves what he is doing.

There definitely needs to be that balance.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Well I don't mind working a job I don't like, as long as it doesn't effect my health, like the last three did.

Do you think maybe in order to find a job that is better, that maybe I have to find something I am good at that maybe few other people are, so I can excel in that area perhaps, or is finding a rare talent, to make money off of, probably not realistic as most people are just as talented as most everyone else?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well I don't mind working a job I don't like, as long as it doesn't effect my health, like the last three did.

Do you think maybe in order to find a job that is better, that maybe I have to find something I am good at that maybe few other people are, so I can excel in that area perhaps, or is finding a rare talent, to make money off of, probably not realistic as most people are just as talented as most everyone else?
Work ethic also has a lot to do with it, no only skillset. I dont have any particular special skills but I have a great work ethic. Many ppl also do so really I dont need to nevessarily need to be the best but u should have a good mix of skillset, education & work ethic

Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Right now, I setting up audio and video for concert shows, plays, etc. Shows like that, whenever they are on. I wanted to research where to go to school to become a PI and how much the courses would cost but could not find a lot on that. Does it have a more professional name than private investigation? There are online courses, but are they the best, or hold a lot of weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment