U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 PM

4,835 posts, read 1,537,874 times

Advertisements

I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 12:16 AM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
You are stuck in these "dead end" jobs because you can't demonstrate that you can do anything else. The more you keep quitting because you don't like them the worse a prospect you appear. You appear flakey, easily discouraged, and unwilling to put in much effort. Every job you've described here ends up having problems you don't seem willing to tolerate very long. If someone labels a job a "dead end" its partly because they are unable to envision what it could lead into...what peripheral skills they can squeeze out of it. It remains a dead end in their own mind which means failure.

Sorry, life isn't going to hand you exactly what you want. Even people who have a very good idea what they want in a career have to put the time in less-than-perfect-fit jobs. The difference is they keep going and keep their eye on the prize; they look beyond the grunt job of the moment and keep their eyes open for better opportunities that might come along. There are lots of skills you can learn in jobs that aren't exactly what you WANT to do. You can learn self-discipline, patience, how to work effectively with others, efficient time management, possibly handling a project budget, how to supervise others to achieve a goal, how to take accountability for your decisions. You also end up getting a tougher skin and will have a history of employment that shows these abilities. Having a string of short term jobs you've quit isn't going to convince anyone to give you much of a chance. You can lay blame on everything around you but it won't help matters.

I'm no genius or stellar example of my profession but I kept at it because I was determined and really mattered to me. It required a specific college degree that was about a 180 degree switch from what I started out studying. It also meant I started from scratch in terms of previous job experience. I didn't have much of any background in my "new" career choice so started at the bottom. I took grunt jobs to pay the bills and did them to the best of my ability. I did volunteer work to get skills, make contacts with in the profession, kept asking for opportunities to learn, and started building a reputation. Eventually the supervisors of jobs I really DID want were willing to give me chances because of my reputation for dedication, work ethic, attention to learning, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn. People don't always pick a new employee for the exact skills necessary. They also consider you as a trustworthy, enthusiastic, and ethical worker. When you prove out, you get more and more credit and earn more and more chances. Eventually you will get that professional break you want so badly. Or not.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2019 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 AM

Oh okay thanks. As for appearing flakey, like you say, I didn't think I was flakey, as I showed up every day, accept for a day here or there where I had the flu or something like that, and could do heavy lifting, etc. But I thought I was pretty good at showing up on time and all.

I wouldn't say I was easily discouraged. One job, I got out of because the superiors were real bullies and drama queens to everyone and eventually just had to much of it. One was too freezing cold, and one had the lack of having an available bathroom, which was causing me health problems that I mentioned on here before.

I didn't see myself moving up the ranks in those jobs, especially the bathroom one cause even if I did move up the ranks, the lack of their being no accessible bathroom was still there.

But if I have a problem with being flakey or easily discouraged, where does that appear with me, do you think?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:18 AM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay thanks. As for appearing flakey, like you say, I didn't think I was flakey, as I showed up every day, accept for a day here or there where I had the flu or something like that, and could do heavy lifting, etc. But I thought I was pretty good at showing up on time and all.

I wouldn't say I was easily discouraged. One job, I got out of because the superiors were real bullies and drama queens to everyone and eventually just had to much of it. One was too freezing cold, and one had the lack of having an available bathroom, which was causing me health problems that I mentioned on here before.

I didn't see myself moving up the ranks in those jobs, especially the bathroom one cause even if I did move up the ranks, the lack of their being no accessible bathroom was still there.

But if I have a problem with being flakey or easily discouraged, where does that appear with me, do you think?
Most of this is a list of excuses. Everyone else was mean, unfair, bullies, not nice to be around. The working conditions were too awful, too cold, inconvenient, couldn't dress comfortably enough. I don't remember what else. Thread after thread, page after page of complaints. You should re-visit these threads and re-read the suggestions and reasonable advice others gave you. Did you act on any of them? Did you give any of these less-than-pleasant jobs much of a chance? No. You quit before even attempting to deal with the down sides in order to make something out of them. That is the definition of easily discouraged.

Done with this. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 AM

Oh okay. But don't we as human being have the right to make our own decisions to get out of bad ruts if so choose to? Should we remain in bad ruts just because we can, or whatever the reason to remain in one is? I was told I should quit by people when asking for advice, so I took the advice. Is that so wrong?

I have the job with the bullying 10 years, nothing changed in that one, and I gave the freezing cold job 3 years, and bathroom problem job one year. Was it so wrong to not give them more chances than that, especially based on others advice to quit?

Old 04-09-2019, 05:15 AM

1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. But don't we as human being have the right to make our own decisions to get out of bad ruts if so choose to? Should we remain in bad ruts just because we can, or whatever the reason to remain in one is? I was told I should quit by people when asking for advice, so I took the advice. Is that so wrong?

I have the job with the bullying 10 years, nothing changed in that one, and I gave the freezing cold job 3 years, and bathroom problem job one year. Was it so wrong to not give them more chances than that, especially based on others advice to quit?
Most people overcome their problems they don't like about work either by adapting to the situations or finding something better. But they are able to do this because they are driven to do so. If your goal is to be living on your own without taking financial support from anyone else, then you are going to have to do things at first that don't sound so appealing. But this is what everyone does. If you are living at home with family or always return to live there when you are unhappy with how things are going so you quit, then this prevents you from progressing. You see, most people who have been working for many years and are taking care of their own finances are able to do so because they have built up a warehouse of coping skills. But if you continue to quit at everything looking for the ideal situation, you are never going to develop the coping skills needed. Those coping skills are very important regardless of what field you work in or the job.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Oh okay thanks. If I am at a job I really don't like though, would it get better the longer you work there? Cause I was under the impression that things would stay the same. If you are on a sinking ship, I thought it very much likely will not float back up and start working again, so the logical thing to do is get off the sinking ship.

If you work at a place that you feel is bad to work at, will it get better just because you choose to stay there for a very long time?

Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Senior level people in any company get to that level not because they have it better than others, but because of their attitude in how they deal with the BS that comes their way. Accept that the concept of the perfect "ideal" job does not exist, and work to improve and succeed in spite of bad management/bad co-workers/a bad environment/etc.

Accept the reality of what your company (and your job in that company) is, and start working to improve it with that as a starting point.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Oh okay, but if you really don't like a job, to the point where you actually can't stand the working conditions, is it really worth trying to work your way up the ranks? Plus in the past, you don't really have control over change, do you? If you want to make your way up the ranks, don't you have to be okay with how things are to get up there?

There was one job I worked where they kept thinking I did very well, and the promoted me up the ranks to a department manager. So for it is possible, I just thought that if you really don't like working there, you probably will not have hardly any control of changing things for the better, if they are bad to begin with.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,758,289 times
One remedy for a bad job is to find a passion of any kind to do on your off-hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or