U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:39 PM

541 posts, read 634,196 times

Advertisements

Only if you want to, you can make an independent contract work, and work right for you and not just for a fake w-2 position. Lots of places will respect it when you bring out a contract, they will then allow you to set your hours and so on. I was not really a computer consultant, but an engineer, but a book with an easy to use example independent contract and lots of good information how to structure it right with an easy contract is:

Janet Ruhl, The Computer Consultants Guide.

Every company I used the contract in there (with my LLC name) with worked out for me and for them. It is a two way street and if they are above the table they will want this. If not you go the other way and not look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,168,763 times
This is endemic in my field (loosely, graphics, web design, marketing). And it's nearly always a total shuck; I've never even heard of a temporary or contract position going full time. It's a cheap dodge to get someone in to do fixed-term work or a project at rates far below full hire or an openly negotiated vendor contract. And funny, the work runs out just about the time you were promised full hire.

Another of those "secret tricks" business learns from airplane books and webinars.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:48 PM

5,601 posts, read 8,959,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i applied for a w2 FT position that would be about 50% remote. at the interview the owner said he thought i might be a better fit for a diff position. it would start out as 1099 for about 6 months for some short term projects, then the person in that position would work FT in another capacity within the org. The position itself sounded great. However, he is expecting this 1099 position to be 40 hours in the office. I'm not sure how that would work b/c the only 1099 position I've ever done was a remote position. Can he even mandate that I be in the office for 40 minutes? I thought that's a big no no for 1099 employees? So I feel like I'm getting all the hard things about being a 1099 w/o any of the benefits. Thoughts?
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/underst...or-designation

It doesn't sound like a legal 1099 position to me. He is setting the work location, working hours, probably expects to direct your work as well. Unless you are desperate for income you ought to pass on this one.

A true 1099 employee is contracted for a task and works independently.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:15 PM

2,108 posts, read 619,730 times
I'll bump the thread I have on this topic but I was just offered 1099. I said cool but it can only be part-time and remote (not leaving my FT job for 1099 with a nearly 75k annual pay decrease)

Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 PM

5,951 posts, read 7,069,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I'll bump the thread I have on this topic but I was just offered 1099. I said cool but it can only be part-time and remote (not leaving my FT job for 1099 with a nearly 75k annual pay decrease)

Why even bother to work for that much less per hour than your main job?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM

2,108 posts, read 619,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Why even bother to work for that much less per hour than your main job?
They'd basically have to give me the same hourly as my current job it would just be less hours. I can only do 10 hours a week at best anyways.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 PM

2,519 posts, read 728,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i applied for a w2 FT position that would be about 50% remote. at the interview the owner said he thought i might be a better fit for a diff position. it would start out as 1099 for about 6 months for some short term projects, then the person in that position would work FT in another capacity within the org. The position itself sounded great. However, he is expecting this 1099 position to be 40 hours in the office. I'm not sure how that would work b/c the only 1099 position I've ever done was a remote position. Can he even mandate that I be in the office for 40 minutes? I thought that's a big no no for 1099 employees? So I feel like I'm getting all the hard things about being a 1099 w/o any of the benefits. Thoughts?
Does your contract say that this is a remote job? If yes, they can go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment