U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 AM

68 posts, read 23,450 times

Advertisements

My mom was like that when she was still working. And she is still like that for church, etc. It drove my dad insane and eventually he flat-out REFUSED to go anywhere with her because she was always late.

Her last job before retiring was about one mile away, and took her about 5 minutes to drive to. By then, there were no kids living at home to deal with or fight for the shower. She had to be there at 8am and woke up around 6am.... then dawdled for an hour, then another half hour, then another 15 minutes, then RAN to the shower at 7:45 am. By the time she got out and got dressed, it was 7:58, then she had to RUN out the door to the car and drive to work. She got there at 8:05 every morning. This was her routine every single day for about 10 years. It was a small company so the bosses let it slide but I'm sure it drove them crazy. She always had an excuse - sooooo many things to do in the morning, had to wash the dishes, etc. But none of them were true - she just always waited until the last second to start getting ready.

She did the same thing with church, meetings, lunch dates.... literally everything except doctor appointments. She knew they would not tolerate her being late. Everyone is still amazed she was never fired from her jobs but somehow she got by with it for her entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 AM

9,217 posts, read 8,302,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
My mom was like that when she was still working. And she is still like that for church, etc. It drove my dad insane and eventually he flat-out REFUSED to go anywhere with her because she was always late.

Her last job before retiring was about one mile away, and took her about 5 minutes to drive to. By then, there were no kids living at home to deal with or fight for the shower. She had to be there at 8am and woke up around 6am.... then dawdled for an hour, then another half hour, then another 15 minutes, then RAN to the shower at 7:45 am. By the time she got out and got dressed, it was 7:58, then she had to RUN out the door to the car and drive to work. She got there at 8:05 every morning. This was her routine every single day for about 10 years. It was a small company so the bosses let it slide but I'm sure it drove them crazy. She always had an excuse - sooooo many things to do in the morning, had to wash the dishes, etc. But none of them were true - she just always waited until the last second to start getting ready.

She did the same thing with church, meetings, lunch dates.... literally everything except doctor appointments. She knew they would not tolerate her being late. Everyone is still amazed she was never fired from her jobs but somehow she got by with it for her entire life.
I ended a friendship because a close friend was like this but it wasn't five minutes.

It was 45 minutes for everything.

The love I had for her could not overcome her rudeness.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
It's weird.. I find where I work, the people that live the closest are the ones that are chronically late. And this is in Southern California close to where I-10 and I-15 Merge, so, traffic is bananas.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM

1,208 posts, read 707,680 times
Adjustments are made. You can be late occasionally. When you know your boss is showing an unusual awareness of your arrival time, you make adjustments until he focuses on something else.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM

709 posts, read 926,122 times
Seeing topics like this made reminded me why I retired at 35... I can not put up with someone telling me what to do with my time

Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,856,920 times
I show up for work on time every day unless there's an issue with transportation.

Your relative needs to cut the crap or someone else will get her job.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM

6,203 posts, read 2,862,660 times
When the pay is docked and infractions are noted. Then she can proceed with her time modification.

I've had stickler boss's who wanted us there ten minutes before start time and never blinked and when stating we had to stay one half hour later to cover for his order mistakes . We didn't get paid for that half hour. He'd say...I sign your checks! Funny how the labor board didn't care what he thought.. he owed. Pay up!!

Old 04-10-2019, 05:02 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,062,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sounds like someone who doesn't want a job.
Who really WANTS a job, if there is no end game (like being paid 6 figures with a 2 year exit plan) then you just have to live life and if they fire you from your mcjob thatís life

Now if this is a well paid job where she can pull the ejection seat and float down in a silver parachute then she is foolish for pushing it. 9 am is a nice start time too.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 PM

1,191 posts, read 353,181 times
If one is being paid to be at your desk at nine, then that's when you need to be there. I can't remember the last time I was late for anything. I am always a little early. Then I can relax.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 PM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I ended a friendship because a close friend was like this but it wasn't five minutes.

It was 45 minutes for everything.

The love I had for her could not overcome her rudeness.
I wonder if we had the same friend. We had this guy meet us for lunch, and he was always 45 minutes late. He would walk in like it was nothing. So we asked him next time what time he would like to meet. After the second time, we ordered and finished just as he was arriving 45 minutes late again. After that, we didn't invite him to lunch any longer.

I read an article someplace about this. It has something to do with people feeling like they want to control things. I guess being late is a part of trying to take control. But people like don't realize how damaging doing this type of behavior is to themselves too. When work came around we could have easily referred to this guy, we decided not to do it, because we didn't want issues with his chronic lateness to ruin our referral network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or