U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:02 AM

68 posts, read 23,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I wonder if we had the same friend. We had this guy meet us for lunch, and he was always 45 minutes late. He would walk in like it was nothing. So we asked him next time what time he would like to meet. After the second time, we ordered and finished just as he was arriving 45 minutes late again. After that, we didn't invite him to lunch any longer.

I read an article someplace about this. It has something to do with people feeling like they want to control things. I guess being late is a part of trying to take control. But people like don't realize how damaging doing this type of behavior is to themselves too. When work came around we could have easily referred to this guy, we decided not to do it, because we didn't want issues with his chronic lateness to ruin our referral network.
It absolutely is a control tactic! I understand that some people have medical issues or small children and this throws off their schedule. And all of us have transportation issues once in a great while. But when someone is late to every single event, every single time, it clearly is a personal problem. I thing my dad would have divorced my mom over this issue if they weren't both tired and broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
I had one friend that we always told a fake time to get them there at the real time. In other words, if they were always an hour late, we would tell them to be there at a time one hour earlier than the real time when everyone else would arrive. Eventually they caught on to us. Another friend, after forcing me to wait for her time and time again, I just started doing whatever without her and not waiting. If we said meet for lunch at 12:00, I would go ahead and order at 12:15 if she wasn't there, and she would arrive late and I'd be halfway through my meal. Eventually we had the "let's keep this real" talk where I told her that her constant lateness made me feel that she thought my time was worthless, and that I should operate on her loosy goosy schedule, and that she must be thinking if I was made to wait then so what, too bad for me. She was "shocked" she said that I took it that way. I told her EVERYONE takes it that way. EVERYONE feels put out and disrespected by her lateness. I guess that sunk in, because she's not chronically late anymore.

Now though, with everyone having a cell, it's harder for the late ones because we can call them repeatedly saying "WHERE R U???"

Old 04-11-2019, 02:55 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,018,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Seeing topics like this made reminded me why I retired at 35... I can not put up with someone telling me what to do with my time
What is the purpose of this statement? Bragging and boorishness?

If you retired at 35 you did so because you were financially able to, not because "can not put up..."

Also, this isn't "my time" this is mutually agreed to work schedule between employee and employer. Good on you if you don't have to but necessary for most.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,359,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
What is the purpose of this statement? Bragging and boorishness?

If you retired at 35 you did so because you were financially able to, not because "can not put up..."

Also, this isn't "my time" this is mutually agreed to work schedule between employee and employer. Good on you if you don't have to but necessary for most.
Humblebrag at it's finest. Retiring at 35 isn't always a good thing either. Most people who tell me they retire at 35 live in their parents basements and got fired from their last job so they are retired now.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,637 times
some people need that 10m beauty sleep

Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
5 miles away.

15 minute commute.

And she is WHINING?

Such a ridiculous entitlement mentality.
My commute is 1hr & 45mins & im always on time. Itís not that difficult

Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,157,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
She doesnít have to be there until 9 am and itís about 5 miles away. She is frequently 5 or 10 minutes late. Her boss asked her if she had a problem being on time. She said she is usually there by 9 or a little after but they want her at her desk by 9 and she said that is ridiculous.
Tell her to set her schedule like she's supposed to be there by 8:45

But I doubt it'll do any good. Anyone who thinks being on time is "ridiculous" isn't going to last long anywhere.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,157,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Vince Lombardi: "Team meeting tomorrow at 9 o'clock."

At 5 minutes before 9, he'd lock the door.
I remember going through testing for SDPD. At lunch, they told everyone to be back at 1PM. Most of us were there fifteen minutes before that. Those who came in over the next ten minutes got a glare. The folks who were running at the last minute were intercepted in the parking lot and told to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or