U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 PM

17,298 posts, read 10,206,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I am not clear on whether you indicated on the posting of offer that you haven't given notice and it was confidential. If the former co-worker intentionally divulged this knowning you didn't give notice and would put you in a precarious situation, I would let him know I didn't appreciate it.

However, is it possible that it was assumed it was a done deal and perhaps the co-worker said something in passing to your boss like "I heard x is leaving." Sometimes even former co-workers stay in touch so perhaps it wasn't something intentional.

Your former manager has an self-interest in knowing you are leaving as soon as possible so he can make plans for a replacement and do whatever else in preparation for your leaving. So, no I don't fault the manager.
Who knows what the intentions of this former co-worker was. Maybe it was to intentionally screw over Dissenter, or maybe the former co-worker told the boss meaning to tell the boss that he sucks and there's another person leaving. At any rate, it was obviously a stupid thing to do, and sure I think Dissenter has a legitimate gripe.

Yes, I know that what we post online is never safe, but still.

I'm also assuming that this was more of a verbal offer and just waiting for the official letter to formally let the manager know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:06 PM

23,647 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Who knows what the intentions of this former co-worker was. Maybe it was to intentionally screw over Dissenter, or maybe the former co-worker told the boss meaning to tell the boss that he sucks and there's another person leaving. At any rate, it was obviously a stupid thing to do, and sure I think Dissenter has a legitimate gripe.

Yes, I know that what we post online is never safe, but still.

I'm also assuming that this was more of a verbal offer and just waiting for the official letter to formally let the manager know?
I had signed a paper offer letter but it was contigent on a background check and I also was waiting for another offer, which didnít work out. So that is why I didnít want to let management know until I dropped my two weeks.

After this, Iím NEVER befriending coworkers (former or current) on social media. Far as they are concerned, the Diss has no social media.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:06 PM

18,360 posts, read 23,537,072 times
that former coworker is a leg humper.... no need to do that

Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I had signed a paper offer letter but it was contigent on a background check and I also was waiting for another offer, which didnít work out. So that is why I didnít want to let management know until I dropped my two weeks.

After this, Iím NEVER befriending coworkers (former or current) on social media. Far as they are concerned, the Diss has no social media.
That is a good rule of thumb! I had a crazy coworker that started posting things on my Facebook wall about our company. I deleted it and asked her what she was doing?! She was naive about how Facebook worked and didnít realize she was doing it. Needless to say that was my wake up call to never befriend coworkers.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:53 PM

2,424 posts, read 695,084 times
Why did you post this on social media?

You are supposed to do a STEALTH JOB SEARCH. This means that you keep quiet. Don' talk about offers, don't talk about any job search stuff with people at work nor blab about it in public.

There is ZERO benefit to blabbing.

Loose lips sink ships - and job offers.

https://business.linkedin.com/talent...d-take-the-job

Old 04-09-2019, 10:57 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Why did you post this on social media?

You are supposed to do a STEALTH JOB SEARCH. This means that you keep quiet. Don' talk about offers, don't talk about any job search stuff with people at work nor blab about it in public.

There is ZERO benefit to blabbing.

Loose lips sink ships - and job offers.

https://business.linkedin.com/talent...d-take-the-job
It's HUMAN. When I'm excited about something, I've blabbed something on Facebook I shouldn't have. I've vented personal drama on there when I shouldn't have.

Technically, you're right, but exercise a bit of mercy.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 AM

2,798 posts, read 885,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Honestly, you don't have grounds to be upset at your co-worker or management.

Putting something in writing under your real name is making it public knowledge. Take this as a lesson. Never post anything to social media that you wouldn't be comfortable with everyone knowing.

^^^^This. You screwed up, not your co worker.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,399,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why would the friend share it knowing full well how much crap I’m in at work?
Maybe he thought you'd informed management? That it wasn't a secret still.

But I don't know him or his intentions. Maybe he is a jerk.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 AM

694 posts, read 252,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
I have to agree with Lekrii. Treat social media as if it were a billboard in the middle of Times Square. But what's done is done and the only thing left to say to you is -- CONGRATULATIONS on your new position! In a few months you can post about how wonderful your new company and coworkers are!!
I would not post on the media about how wonderful or horrible my company and co-workers are. I've observed and seen that at the beginning someone thought his/her company and co-workers were wonderful; and later, suddenly everything turned 180 degrees.

I saw a few employees on Facebook were being friends with their manager, and talked about the manager liked their protector, their savour. Later, I saw their relationships at work were not so good. Didn't know what was going on. Same with co-workers with each other. One day they were such buddies to each other; the next day, they were rivals.

I don't post anything specific (pictures and names) about my workplace on Facebook, instagram… whatsoever.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 04-10-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
This person probably assumed it was public knowledge since you posted it for the earth's 7.5 billion people to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment