U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're posting stupid things online. I won't put you on ignore. I love train crashes The best part of this thread? You getting upset at me calling you out when I'm right. I'll say it again: Stop posting everything online.

Or continue to do so for the entertainer value it gives to everyone else.

You don't like my comments? Put me on ignore.

Dude.
And wishing for a stranger to lose his livelihood isnít something stupid to post online? BTW who the hell said you were right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I second a question that was asked earlier....

Have you asked the former co-worker WHY they went to your current boss?
I've been thinking that the former coworker might have been interested in the job that OP was vacating. In which case, it might pay to make their presence known to the OP's boss, since the job's opening up.

IMO, that could be OK. I have trouble coming up with any other scenarios where spilling the beans on someone who possibly hasn't given notice would be OK.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM

9,523 posts, read 13,464,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Story time.
So I am finishing out my time at a job that turned from once promising into a miserable existence because of constant pointless restructuring. During my time at this company, the department I originally signed on to work for got busted up, I got reassigned to a job I would never have taken, the manager who I worked for and had a decent relationship with got forced out.

This was all disheartening to me and even with my best efforts to adapt, the happenings took their toll and my work quality suffered and I ended up being placed on a PDP and written up and eventually demoted and pretty much my coworkers hate my guts which is just as well since I was seen as an outsider from ďthat departmentĒ anyway.

I earned a Masterís in a different field and had been looking for a job in that field for a few months and finally got a great offer last month.

Here is the gripe:
In excitement I posted on my social media that I got an offer as a show to family and friends who saw and heard how miserable I was since my demotion. Now with my social media, I completely exclude current coworkers from following for a reason, but am more open about former coworkers Iíve become friends with. An old coworker saw my post and informed my management about my offer. Then that management confronted me about the offer which I was forced to tell them about it.

I was and am still absolutely furious that this former coworker decided to blab my offer to my current management and irate that my management confronted me about it instead of waiting for me to come to them. I had been very transparent about looking for work in my field and felt I should have been trusted to come to them with a very sensitive situation. I hadnít even passed the background check yet and I was waiting for another potential offer so the offer I posted about wasnít a done deal. But I passed the background check, the other offer didnít work out, so it is a done deal and I am out.

My question is, even though I posted my offer to social media, do I have a legit gripe because this person knew how mush BS I was in at work and that management was looking for a reason to fire me? If so, who is more deserving of my anger, the ex coworker for blabbing or my management for acting on it?
Keep anything work related off social media. People talk

Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM

28,263 posts, read 39,927,756 times
Quote:
And wishing for a stranger to lose his livelihood isn’t something stupid to post online? BTW who the hell said you were right?
Reading comprehension problems? I do not and never will wish for that. The one doing that is you. Why else would you post re a new job online before you actually have it?

Anyone with half a brain knows I'm right. Hell, you know I'm right. At least I hope you have enough common sense to realize it.

We can fight all week about this, but it all boils down to you putting information on the Internet that should not have been there.

Yell at me, scream at me, make derogatory remarks about me. None of it changes the facts.

Once more: Stop posting this stuff on the Internet.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Post your life on line. Get backlash. Complain online.

I'm waiting for your company to fire you. I'm waiting for the company you are considering for a new job to see all this and remove you from the candidate list.

Just keep shooting yourself in the foot. It seems to be a trend with you.

Stop posting your life online. Good lord.
Quote:
Reading comprehension problems? I do not and never will wish for that. The one doing that is you. Why else would you post re a new job online before you actually have it?

Anyone with half a brain knows I'm right. Hell, you know I'm right. At least I hope you have enough common sense to realize it.

We can fight all week about this, but it all boils down to you putting information on the Internet that should not have been there.

Yell at me, scream at me, make derogatory remarks about me. None of it changes the facts.

Once more: Stop posting this stuff on the Internet.
Are you ing me? Iím not R Kelly, I can read. Read the bolded. You said just that.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM

959 posts, read 363,287 times
Quote:
Story time.
So I am finishing out my time at a job that turned from once promising into a miserable existence because of constant pointless restructuring. During my time at this company, the department I originally signed on to work for got busted up, I got reassigned to a job I would never have taken, the manager who I worked for and had a decent relationship with got forced out.

This was all disheartening to me and even with my best efforts to adapt, the happenings took their toll and my work quality suffered and I ended up being placed on a PDP and written up and eventually demoted and pretty much my coworkers hate my guts which is just as well since I was seen as an outsider from ďthat departmentĒ anyway.

I earned a Masterís in a different field and had been looking for a job in that field for a few months and finally got a great offer last month.

Here is the gripe:
In excitement I posted on my social media that I got an offer as a show to family and friends who saw and heard how miserable I was since my demotion. Now with my social media, I completely exclude current coworkers from following for a reason, but am more open about former coworkers Iíve become friends with. An old coworker saw my post and informed my management about my offer. Then that management confronted me about the offer which I was forced to tell them about it.

I was and am still absolutely furious that this former coworker decided to blab my offer to my current management and irate that my management confronted me about it instead of waiting for me to come to them. I had been very transparent about looking for work in my field and felt I should have been trusted to come to them with a very sensitive situation. I hadnít even passed the background check yet and I was waiting for another potential offer so the offer I posted about wasnít a done deal. But I passed the background check, the other offer didnít work out, so it is a done deal and I am out.

My question is, even though I posted my offer to social media, do I have a legit gripe because this person knew how mush BS I was in at work and that management was looking for a reason to fire me? If so, who is more deserving of my anger, the ex coworker for blabbing or my management for acting on it?
No. You posted it on SOCIAL MEDIA. You made it public information. Now,you can gripe about your choice in friends though. Hope it all works out for you and just call your friends/family next time

Old 04-10-2019, 06:19 PM

14,261 posts, read 44,955,618 times
Quote:
Would it be different if me and my friends were having drinks at the bar, I mentioned the offer and the dude blabbed it? Iím under the impression that I have vetted these friends to only those I can trust not to put me in that position in the first place, no matter HOW I told them about my offer. Guess I should live by my own words, donít trust anyone, from now on.

I wouldn't say don't trust anyone, but you have found out in a relatively "cheap" way that this one "friend" who blabbed, is not to be trusted.

WTH. Go on to your new job, don't worry about this loser outfit. But, yeah, in future, keep "strategic" information under your hat, definitely don't share it on social media.

When I was your age, the technology to do this was not available, so I didn't do it. But I probably would have made the same or similar mistakes.

Whatever. Learn from it and move on.

Consider from the "Law of the West" - "Talk less, yet say more". Being perceived as the "strong, silent type" is not a bad thing. I think you would wear it well.

Wishing you great success in your new job.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 317,130 times
Did your boss tell you that former coworker was the blabber? How do you know it was him? I would email him and ask him why he said anything to your boss. We must know why he blabbed before we blame him.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 PM

28,263 posts, read 39,927,756 times
Quote:
Are you ing me? I’m not R Kelly, I can read. Read the bolded. You said just that.
Again with the lack of reading comprehension. The word "wish" is nowhere in my post. Seriously, learn to read. Then learn to understand the difference between the words "wish" and "wait".

Wish
Quote:
feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen.
Wait
Quote:
stay where one is or delay action until a particular time or until something else happens.
I'm "waiting"" because you have posted information on the Internet that is probably going to p1ss off both your current employer and the one you have applied with. I will never "wish" the loss of a job for anyone. You on the other hand seem to "wish" to lose both opportunities by posting unnecessary information on the Internet. Were you trying to brag about your (possible) new situation and got busted?

If you're going to get your panties in a twist at least learn how to read before going off on another poster.

If this is normal for you I can see why you're in the middle of a train wreck.

Apparently you are R Kelly. Whoever that is. Never mind, I Googled him. Why would I care about him?

I feel like I'm conversing with a petulant child.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 AM

4,351 posts, read 7,999,783 times
You have the right to grip about anything you want. It's an emotional reaction. That said, it doesn't automatically make you in the right. Or, in many situations, there isn't a right or wrong. It's just a chain of events that took place.

You communicated some information you felt should have been guarded, but you did so on a public platform. And that information was passed on further than you desired. While unfortunate, there was no malicious intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment