Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:29 PM

23 posts, read 37,153 times

Advertisements

I am 24 graduated college and work as an admin assistant and you can call me lazy but I just HATE working, HATE having to answer to others and HATE having to deal with co-workers and HATE knowing my entire livelihood is in the hands of people that couldn't care less if they found out I died. I have had other jobs of various types but in the end as far as I am concerned everything in society is constantly saying the only reason for your existence is TO work and be someone's *****.

The only relief I get is when I come home to my bf of 2 years and we can do something. Seriously, I just hate knowing I am supposed to bust my *** for some money grubbing people that are only where they are due to nepotism/cronyism and believe me I know that for a fact, the woman that is my boss is *extra* close with her boss and she doesn't know a thing about it but expects me to. The only real relief anyone ever gets in this life is death, and knowing that as an employee I have to put up with any and all abuse thrown at me, heck my boss has yelled at me just for not moving fast enough despite the fact she'll ask me to do something and as I am doing it not even 5 minutes later she'll yell/scream at me to do something else. I seriously wish there were circumstances where it was okay to punch your boss in the face!

She has even thrown things at me twice! I'm not kidding in saying if I was walking down the street and saw someone punching her I'd just laugh and not even call the police. I am sure some here will say their boss is great and they very well may be but I swear only about 10% of bosses aren't complete jack arses that would rather see you do what they want instead of be reasonable people. Heck, 2 months ago I had to have an operation due to endometriosis and my boss, she was NOT understanding or sympathetic at all, even though I was only going to be out for two days. Seriously?

Long rant and I know I am mainly letting off steam but I haven't worked a job where I didn't hate my boss/manager; well, I take that back when I worked at Wal Mart of all places I did have this one guy that was great and supportive but it would make to much sense having a person like that in a position of authority so he was let go just 3 months after I started working.

Like I said I do love my boyfriend and spend as much time with him as I can which greatly helps and we have talked about marriage and he said he'd be okay with me being a stay at home mom if and when he gets a good enough career which he is working on. I know I would much rather have to do the laundry, dishes and cook and clean 10 times a day then be forced to get up at 6 just to be yelled and screamed at and given impossible tasks that expect to be done in a ridiculously short amount of time.

I just so hate that if it weren't for my supportive and loving bf helping me and having hobbies I'd go crazy! Call me doom and gloom but this "Only reason for your existence is to work" BS stresses me out SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
So quit and find another job that you LIKE!
Life is too short to be miserable...

Old 12-07-2015, 07:12 PM

I should also probably add I realize being a SAHM is most certainly work and it also requires getting up early, when I was 14 my mother gave birth to twins, one of which had colic and since she was working so much I pretty much raised them as well as doing house work. But what's sad is while infants and babies do need lots of attention and can be very hard to please I have found making most bosses happy is even far more of a struggle since they pretty much act just as an infant or baby would when they want something. But at least with infants and babies they have a good excuse to act the way they do.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
So quit and find another job that you LIKE!
Life is too short to be miserable...
The only job I could "like" is being a SAHM. Even if I had a job where I had a boss and co workers that didn't make slitting my wrists sound like a good idea it's just the fact that I could lose everything I have due to a vengeful boss or even co-workers that I really hate. Hell, even layoffs can happen if everything else is good. I just hate the constant uncertainty of having to work for others and ultimately having no real control of what could happen that really gets me. Knowing that you could bust your *** for months or even years but all it takes is one vengeful boss or one layoff and everything can come crashing down in an instant.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Only you can decide what's good for you, but as a start, I'd look for anything which falls outside the 9-to-5, Monday-Friday "trap". When the same people work the same hours, all of them tethered to a common schedule, the personality conflicts which arise naturally are going to intensify.

And only you can decide if working alone, and/or "in the field" is the right fit for your personality. You'll probably have to take more responsibility for your decisions and conduct. That shouldn't be a problem, if your supervisor provides positive, and consistent feedback.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
If it walks like a duck...

Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
Start your own business -- you can't hate the boss when you are the boss.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:17 PM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
What did you go to college for to where you are an admin assistant at 24? Seems to me like you just haven't found your calling.

Obviously, your biggest issue is that you hate your boss. Not all bosses will be like this. While I am in management, the one person above me is someone I get along with greatly. Sounds like you have never had this kind of relationship with a boss before. When you do have a good working relationship with you're boss, going to work will not be a chore at all and something that you like (or at least tolerate) doing. If you have had many jobs and have never got a long with a boss, then its time to look in the mirror.

I am also a mother of three kids with a fourth on the way. You don't make money being a SAHM. I could easily be one and survive well on my husband's income without any problem. When you have kids, you will instead have your reminder of why you need to go to work every day. The combination of our incomes allows us to give our kids the best in all aspects, and that is really what it is all about.

You talk about nepotism and cronyism giving your boss her job? Well, this is how you create your own name, so that your kids can reap the rewards. That's why you go to work.

Good luck, OP. Things can change and get better for you. Keep your head up.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
OP, I wouldn't listen to the "find your calling" BS that's been fed to the Millennials and younger. It's why so many people in the younger age bracket are having a hard time in the workplace.

At some point, you're going to need to figure out when and how to get a new job. Like you, I also hate the live to work existence. I'd rather work, to do the things I want in life. I don't believe in dream jobs. I don't believe there is a great job waiting out there just for you, like some weird soulmate. No. What I believe in is finding the best fit job, where it's more than tolerable and allows you the income to do what you want. Jobs should be done well, and of course you work hard for your money. But at the end of the day it's a means to an end.

I also wish I could be a SAHM. I'd rather deal with a 2-year old's tantrum than one from a 40-year old manager.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
OP, I wouldn't listen to the "find your calling" BS that's been fed to the Millennials and younger. It's why so many people in the younger age bracket are having a hard time in the workplace.

At some point, you're going to need to figure out when and how to get a new job. Like you, I also hate the live to work existence. I'd rather work, to do the things I want in life. I don't believe in dream jobs. I don't believe there is a great job waiting out there just for you, like some weird soulmate. No. What I believe in is finding the best fit job, where it's more than tolerable and allows you the income to do what you want. Jobs should be done well, and of course you work hard for your money. But at the end of the day it's a means to an end.

I also wish I could be a SAHM. I'd rather deal with a 2-year old's tantrum than one from a 40-year old manager.
Yeah I really hate when people say that crap. Dream job? Just a dream in 95% of cases. And your last sentence is SO true! It's so incredibly insane and downright absurd that the very traits we look down upon on babies and children gets rewarded for in adults!

I want to be a SAHM SO bad and I am so glad my bf is okay with it. Obviously I do and will work in the mean time but it's so insane I have to answer to big babies that have their positions just for nepotism and deal with getting yelled/screamed and they KNOW it! Hence, why they always get away with it, as well as throwing things at you and all the other childish BS!

At least with babies and children when they display childish behavior you can do something about it. Just saying "find another job" - especially one where sociopaths run the show isn't easy, degree or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment