Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times

Advertisements

The smaller the pool, the more it matters. If you're in a pool of 3 candidates, order won't matter. If you're in a pool of 20 candidates, later is better. The answer is probably somewhere in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
I will use a personal example. I sent in a resume on last day they were taking applications. I was called the next day for an interview. Went to HR and to;d to go direct to division manager. Entered his office, and we spent about 3 minutes, and he showed me a stack of over 350 applications, and have not even looked at them, and I want you.

It was a perfect fit for me, and I started the next day.

You say they have had a hard time filling the spot. If you are the perfect applicant, you may be the only one interviewed.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,367,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I feel good in knowing that based on my phone call, they want me to come in in person. I would wager if they didn't feel good about the call, they would not have brought me in.

The guy said I sounded very thorough when talking about my experience. All signs post to good things so far but I gotta go in and see. Sometimes you get a different feeling about jobs after you see the workspace or meet the people in person.
Moving quickly is always a good sign. In some companies if you are what they are looking for and have good leadership, they will proceed with you and make an offer. Too many companies now feel the need to review all 20 people applying and have most of them come in for second and third rounds of interviews. First or last doesn't matter provided there is good management. But when asked to interview in-person it is always better to do this as soon as you can.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,125 times
I would prefer to be first to interview. On a couple occasions I was hired on the spot. When that happens everyone else is out of luck without even getting the opportunity to sell themselves.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,957 times
First or last could each have its advantages but I think generally speaking I'd like to get in there before they had already mentally picked someone else for the position.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,621,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
First or last could each have its advantages but I think generally speaking I'd like to get in there before they had already mentally picked someone else for the position.
I do interviews several days each month, and I agree with this post - with one caveat. Being first or last only confers an advantage if you have a really great interview. If you're near the beginning or the end and have an average interview, you'll get no advantage with me, because someone's bound to come along somewhere in between and really stand out. But if you're first and have a great interview, I'll be comparing everyone after that to you, and psychologically that may give you a bit of an edge in my mind. At the same time, if you're one of 2 or 3 really good interviews, and you're the last of them, your strong performance is probably going to stand out the strongest in my mind.

Mind you, whatever edge there may be is slight (with me, anyway). It really only matters if the decision is close enough to practically come down to a coin flip anyway. But there are times when a decision really is that close, and in cases like that, even a razor thin advantage in the mind of the manager can be what makes the difference. If i'm going back and forth between several good candidates and you are the one who just left my office an hour ago, you're going to be uppermost in my mind.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
I went for the interview. I think it went well. It's so hard to really know. I am not sure how many others they are interviewing.

I sent a thank you. He replied. Don't know if that's a good sign or what … ?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:50 PM

346 posts, read 550,235 times
Replying doesn't automatically mean that you will get the job, but it's definitely better than being ghosted. You should feel good, but as always--don't draft your 2 weeks notice yet until you get an offer

Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Replying doesn't automatically mean that you will get the job, but it's definitely better than being ghosted. You should feel good, but as always--don't draft your 2 weeks notice yet until you get an offer
The only thing concerning me is my fear of elevators and this job is on the 47th floor!!!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,621,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The only thing concerning me is my fear of elevators and this job is on the 47th floor!!!
So the job comes with a weight-loss and cardio fitness plan, as well! Sounds like a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment