U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Savannah
11 posts, read 3,901 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Good evening,

I own a cleaning company and just hired my first employee that turned out to be awful to say the least. I hired her after a two week vetting and a multi interview process. All communication was done through email, except for one interview that was over the phone. I hired her based on the experience she said she had and because her personality seemed great. I "thought" she would be a good match. However, I quickly realized after two days that she clearly did not have cleaning experience and certainly was not trainable. Several times I showed her how to do something, and at the next property she would fail to do it the proper way or wouldn't do it at all. In an epitome, she blew through rooms faster than I could keep up, and if she was cleaning it was basically dry wiping everything without water and barely any cleaning chemical. Long story short, I contacted the labor board for direction in regards to firing her. I was told to let her go immediately if I thought her performance did not match the experience she stated she had; therefore, I nicely wrote a letter and emailed her this afternoon in regards to the matter. I emailed her so that I would have a record of the conversation since she could "try" to file a claim with unemployment or the labor board but as long as I had a paper trail, her doing so wouldn't matter. Needless to say, she flipped out. Sent me three separate emails, berating me basically. I guess I just want to know if there was a better way to handle this? I wrote the email because I knew it was the only guaranteed way to document the termination and who said what, etc. I also wrote an email because I do not have an office, everything is done from home, and I do not want someone I barely know to have my address. Also, I felt that if I terminated her in person, it would have to be done in a public place because I would not have been able to do so at a clients home for obvious reasons, so I chose email as I wanted it to be kept private away from the public. Please let me know your thoughts and how I should handle this in the future. Thanks so much for your time!

Please note in the email I told her I thought she had a great personality and liked that she was punctual, etc. However, I did tell her nicely that she was not a good fit due to her needing more training than I could offer her based on the fact that in my hiring ad I was looking for a seasoned cleaner and paying double the amount compared to other competitors. I figured that I would pay a lot more to gain a more experienced, seasoned cleaner. I was looking for someone that was experienced and may only need training in terms of minor staging and organizing... all of which she said she had but I quickly realized she couldn't even clean a toilet properly.
Some of you may assume I am running a small cleaning company for being a single person, but I am not I have over 60 clients that I clean rotationally each month and work roughly 7 days a week. It is important to me to keep things running smoothly, as well as, to keep my 5 star rating online. I cannot afford to keep someone as an employee at double the market rate if they are providing sub par work that would most certainly cause me to lose my clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Reputation: 12904
Hiring someone for a hands-on labor job via email and phone, without even a (paid?) tryout, is the beginning and end of your problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Savannah
11 posts, read 3,901 times
Reputation: 20
Thank you for your response! Yes, I have realized after this hiring, that a paid working interview is probably best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Status: "The days are getting shorter" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
3,977 posts, read 1,115,368 times
Reputation: 5618
Just document everything and fire her. Is Georgia an "at will" state? Sounds like she was incompetent and insubordinate. You need to review your vetting process. Did she provide references? I'm guessing not. Talking to a former supervisor would have probably helped you in the hiring process.


Good luck on your next hire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Reputation: 12904
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyArt911 View Post
Thank you for your response! Yes, I have realized after this hiring, that a paid working interview is probably best.
Even an in-person interview would probably tell you enough to have known that this person was not going to work out. You can only cut so many corners in hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 589,020 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Just document everything and fire her. Is Georgia an "at will" state? Sounds like she was incompetent and insubordinate. You need to review your vetting process. Did she provide references? I'm guessing not. Talking to a former supervisor would have probably helped you in the hiring process.


Good luck on your next hire!
This is the answer.

Georgia, fortunately, is an "at will" state. Document everything and fire her for incompetency.

Review the vetting process, and move on. Don't dwell on it. She misrepresented herself and deserves the result. Your vetting process failed and as a result, you're stuck dealing with this situation. Fortunately, you can get past it quickly.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 589,020 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Hiring someone for a hands-on labor job via email and phone, without even a (paid?) tryout, is the beginning and end of your problem here.
Quietude brings up a great idea for someone like you (OP) just starting out. Contract-to-hire will allow you to try out people on. Hire them on 1099 before bringing them in full time. Make sure you follow the rules of a contract worker -- which is easy to do in this line of business (the person should be self-trained, and self-sufficient).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Savannah
11 posts, read 3,901 times
Reputation: 20
Thank you so much for all of the responses! I completely agree that the hiring process needs to be altered, I short cut the process to an extent in terms of in person interviewing due to lack of time because I am working almost nonstop. Also, I wanted to initially 1099 any employee I hired and start them off as contractors, but I wasn't sure if that was the best way to go considering that a contractor can decide their own schedule etc.

Update: I will let you all know that she did not stop at the emails, she texted me and threatened small claims court if I did not mail her check out by tomorrow. In the email I told her I would have it ready on Friday for her and meet her somewhere or mail it out then. I was really hoping it was not going to turn in to this; it is very clear that I need to make some changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,553 posts, read 3,660,304 times
Reputation: 19592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyArt911 View Post
Please note in the email I told her I thought she had a great personality and liked that she was punctual, etc. However, I did tell her nicely that she was not a good fit due to her needing more training than I could offer her based on the fact that in my hiring ad I was looking for a seasoned cleaner and paying double the amount compared to other competitorss.
If you put this in writing she will be able to apply for UI benefits and will likely get them, since it looks like you couldn't give her the training she needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 PM
 
1,550 posts, read 403,004 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyArt911 View Post
Some of you may assume I am running a small cleaning company for being a single person, but I am not I have over 60 clients that I clean rotationally each month and work roughly 7 days a week. It is important to me to keep things running smoothly, as well as, to keep my 5 star rating online. I cannot afford to keep someone as an employee at double the market rate if they are providing sub par work that would most certainly cause me to lose my clients.
So sorry you had to go through this. Some people have no concept of what quality work is. When their poor workmanship is pointed out to them, they flip out that you are wrong and being unfair. You are running a business and have no time for that nonsense.

In the future go by strong referrals and ask to talk to three former clients. And make sure they are real clients. I would also give them a probationary period of 2 weeks. Because not everyone might do things the way you would, and you need time to correct them and let them change. As for paying more money for a more experienced person, I entirely agree with that. You tried, and doing stuff on the cheap is taking a real risk. Some people don't have any respect for the work and will try to see what they can get away with. Congratulations on getting so much more and your 5 star rating. If I were you, I would contact the clients who had a bad experience with her and tell them you have corrected the problem and will credit them for work not being up to standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top