U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 AM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times

Advertisements

It depends on the company and their process....

I have had some tours of companies I interviewed for and later refused the offer. It is really up to the company and their style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 AM

37,948 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. Well the last two manual labor jobs had really bad health conditions, and so I thought if I got a tour, I would get a better idea if I would be the right employee for the job or not.

As for corporate spies, I find that kind of far fetched, like are they sure they are not being paranoid, if someone asks?

Corporate spy... hahaha.

OP, you are not interested in finding a serious job (besides the fact that you have zero skills/education). In some of the many threads you created, you stated that work is unhealthy because makes you tired...
Sure, why bother? - you have a comfortable life with mommy and daddy! .....
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 AM

10,318 posts, read 9,367,886 times
As far as being offered a tour during the interviewing process. If it gets to the level of being on the short list of candidates then it would be beneficial to at least know where your cubicle/office would be located.

One doesn't want to end up like Milton in Office Space.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 AM

4,828 posts, read 1,533,853 times
Oh okay, how would I end up looking like Milton for asking exactly?

Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM

588 posts, read 300,801 times
I like to see the working environment, i.e., whether I'd have some privacy in a cubicle or whether everyone is out in the open, etc. A few times I've been shown around and a couple times they said they "couldn't".

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
I wouldn't word it as a "tour"....as in some long-term commitment to them showing you every inch of the facility. I would casually ask at the end "Hey, if it isn't too much trouble, when you are walking me out could we swing by the area where I would be working?" I'm sure most people would be accommodating.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
I'd ask at offer stage, not at interview stage.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd ask at offer stage, not at interview stage.

Yes but remember, these are low-level manual labor factory jobs. The "offer" is going to be a phone call "Okay, you're hired, you can start Monday". If it's a phone call, and OP says "I need to see my working conditions first" the guy's probably going to hang up and go to next guy on the list. It'll be "Do you want the job or not?"

Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
IF THEY DO offer you a tour, ask where you would be sitting /working. Then go sit down there. A little imprinting never hurts.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,533,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes but remember, these are low-level manual labor factory jobs. The "offer" is going to be a phone call "Okay, you're hired, you can start Monday". If it's a phone call, and OP says "I need to see my working conditions first" the guy's probably going to hang up and go to next guy on the list. It'll be "Do you want the job or not?"
Well whether or not I want the job depends largely on the working conditions, so I feel that perhaps the employer is being paradoxical about it, cause how will they know if someone wants the job, if they keep the candidates in the dark about the conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or