U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM

20,535 posts, read 16,611,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well whether or not I want the job depends largely on the working conditions, so I feel that perhaps the employer is being paradoxical about it, cause how will they know if someone wants the job, if they keep the candidates in the dark about the conditions?
I donít think theyíre keeping anyone in the dark. Iím saying donít wait till they call you to hire you. I feel
Like youíre bringing baggage from the old place into the new. Thereís no reason to assume anything is being hidden, but in low skilled jobs they want low maintenance people who will show up and not complain. So to respond to an offer by saying it depends on whether I approve of conditions or not can come off to them as a bit diva-ish. Just casually ask if you can see the factory floor during the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Okay thanks, I did casually ask if I could be shown around more, but they just say they do that with people they give call backs too.

However, right now, I just got a call back but they want me to start right away without even showing me the place or anything. This is what happened the last time as well, and last time was the worst conditions I've ever experienced.

I couldn't start this week like they wanted me to, cause I am currently on a movie shoot, and so they caught me at a time, when I was scared to say yes, worried about the working conditions being bad again. Mainly in the past, the conditions were either too freezing cold, or that bathroom problem I mentioned before.

So I was worried it would be cold again, or something like that, so I told them just to give a day to think about it, but now I am not sure. Normally I would take a change and say yes, and if the conditions were really bad, I could just look for a new job later. But I was told on here to not keep quitting jobs cause it looks bad. So in order to look good, I must be willing to put in for the long haul. But I don't what the long haul entails, cause they don't give me any clues even.

So they said to let them know by tomorrow morning, but should I take a risk on it and take it, and if the conditions suck, then just get a new job, again after?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Okay thanks, I did casually ask if I could be shown around more, but they just say they do that with people they give call backs too.

However, right now, I just got a call back but they want me to start right away without even showing me the place or anything. This is what happened the last time as well, and last time was the worst conditions I've ever experienced.

I couldn't start this week like they wanted me to, cause I am currently on a movie shoot, and so they caught me at a time, when I was scared to say yes, worried about the working conditions being bad again. Mainly in the past, the conditions were either too freezing cold, or that bathroom problem I mentioned before.

So I was worried it would be cold again, or something like that, so I told them just to give a day to think about it, but now I am not sure. Normally I would take a change and say yes, and if the conditions were really bad, I could just look for a new job later. But I was told on here to not keep quitting jobs cause it looks bad. So in order to look good, I must be willing to put in for the long haul. But I don't what the long haul entails, cause they don't give me any clues even.

So they said to let them know by tomorrow morning, but should I take a risk on it and take it, and if the conditions suck, then just get a new job, again after?
It only looks bad if you list it. If you work there for one day or one week, there’s no reason anyone needs to know that on future interviews. Take it and give it a try, if you don’t like conditions quit and just leave it off your employment list.

When I was dating, some guys would try to make me “prove” I wasn’t going to be like their ex, that’s called baggage. Just leave your worries about the past and take a chance.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Oh okay, but before I left a job for a new one after two years of working there, and the last job was only a year of working there, and I was told on here that it still looks bad to quit. But does only working there say a few months or a year, look bad?

Plus if I come out of a job interview thinking, well that job probably isn't for me, and I was probably not the one for them, but then you get a call back and they want you to start right away, should you say yes, if you didn't walk out feeling you wanted it more?

Last edited by ironpony; 04-15-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM

9,133 posts, read 2,998,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
why not??? a job interview should be an employment interview a two way street Ö.for a good fit
Absolutely. A company that respects its employees, will have a policy of selling themselves to prospective workers, as much as the applicants are promoting themselves. Factually explaining the conditions of the job and a chance to see the workplace, should be part of the interview process.

I'd be leery of a job opportunity, where I was rushed out after an interview and never given a chance to see what went on inside a company.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, but before I left a job for a new one after two years of working there, and the last job was only a year of working there, and I was told on here that it still looks bad to quit. But does only working there say a few months or a year, look bad?

Plus if I come out of a job interview thinking, well that job probably isn't for me, and I was probably not the one for them, but then you get a call back and they want you to start right away, should you say yes, if you didn't walk out feeling you wanted it more?
No, if you left feeling it was t for you listen to your inner voice. Yes it looks bad if you quit a lot, but in the types of jobs youíve had I think you're fine. But again, if you take a job and quit in one day because of bad conditions just donít tell any future places you ever worked there at all.

If thereís a job you do want and they ask you to start right away and youíre already committed to something for the next two weeks or whatever, you should tell them when youíre available to start at the interview, not after they offer you a job and present a start date.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:35 AM

Okay thanks, I usually give a job more of a chance than just a few days though. The least I have given a job was almost a year before I quit, if that doesn't look too bad...

Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks, I usually give a job more of a chance than just a few days though. The least I have given a job was almost a year before I quit, if that doesn't look too bad...
Well, youíre saying you donít know if youíre going to stay there if you donít like the conditions. Going to stay for a year even if you donít like it? The only way to see the conditions is to accept the job. Just accept the job and see how it goes.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 AM

12,162 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Why can't you just take it and then leave if you hate it? You aren't required to report this job on future job applications and/or resumes.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,483,265 times
My husband recently had a job interview that was 7 hours long. They gave him an itinerary LOL. I am sure he saw every crevice of that place. He was vastly over qualified for the job, but he thought they were nice people.

When interviewing engineers and such, my hubs always gives tours of the plant. Responses and questions throughout the tour tell him an awful lot about the interviewee. Tours are given for all departments where I work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or