U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:30 AM

20,745 posts, read 16,738,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My husband recently had a job interview that was 7 hours long. They gave him an itinerary LOL. I am sure he saw every crevice of that place. He was vastly over qualified for the job, but he thought they were nice people.

When interviewing engineers and such, my hubs always gives tours of the plant. Responses and questions throughout the tour tell him an awful lot about the interviewee. Tours are given for all departments where I work too.
White collar job interviews and hiring practices are very different for white collar jobs vs low wage factory floor jobs. In nursing homes where I work, people applying to be social workers might be given a tour, someone applying to mop floors probably won’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 AM

406 posts, read 403,431 times
A lot of companies would not waste time on a tour unless they had planned to extend an offer. I've been given tours of the data center, not necessarily the office.

Currently work from home, no tour needed.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM

5,054 posts, read 1,823,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
The last couple of jobs I worked, I really didn't like the working conditions, and they were actually bad to the point where it was effecting my health.

I was wondering if when going for job interviews, does it look bad to ask to see the place more. That way I can get a better idea of the conditions. But when I asked after an interview was over, they didn't want to show me around, so I was was wondering if it looks bad to ask?

That way if they call me back and say I got the job, I will know what I am saying yes to more.
I guess it depends on what sort of job you are considering - but for any salaried professional, not only does it not look bad - it probably looks worse if you don't have an interest in learning more about the place you will be working. Sort of a strange question.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM

2,383 posts, read 1,202,154 times
If I'm interested in that company I always ask to use the restroom. On the way I can see the people, the cubes, the condition of the restrooms, even sometimes the break-room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or