U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 AM

1,550 posts, read 402,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What good is a reference check after they have made an offer and you accepted? What is the point then?
That's not the sequence. After the company has decided to make an offer, the last step is to request your references and then they make a formal offer. No reason any of them need it before that, especially a headhunter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Good call. I worked for the state of Oregon and references were required on the written application. I remember one interviewee who stated that there might be some red flags on the references provided, and by golly there were!

He didn't get the job.
No reason to bother references until they are ready to make an offer. Over the years, I've been a reference for countless people and I don't want my phone ringing several times a week for every job they apply for as some sort of office busy work pre-screening. Someone who abuses me as a reference that I get a call every time they apply for something, I won't be a reference for them any longer. So it is good professional advise not to simply disclose references to anyone who asks for them.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Agreed. This isnít a public sector role either. I absolutely provide them for that and understand why. I think the recruitment agency here (Iím not working through the companyís HR) has this on their ďto doĒ list - however, theyíve already arranged my plane ticket and hotel for the interview. Feels like theyíre back stepping now going hurry, we need your references! Hurry!

Iím going to email with two professional ones, and say the final one from a former manager is available after the company offers me the role (And if I decide to accept). I donít want to waste the time of anyone involved on my end - until itís something Iím absolutely interested in.
I wouldn't give this to them. There is no need for it, other than their own selfish reasons to get more headhunting work. Go directly to the company website for the place you are going to interview. See if your job or one like it is listed there. Go through the steps to apply for it, it would be very interesting to see if it requires references that must be a former manager in order to apply for a job there.

If you are going through with this, take your references with you and be prepared to hand them to HR and/or the hiring manager if they request it and you really want to work there.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:32 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Agreed. This isnít a public sector role either. I absolutely provide them for that and understand why. I think the recruitment agency here (Iím not working through the companyís HR) has this on their ďto doĒ list - however, theyíve already arranged my plane ticket and hotel for the interview. Feels like theyíre back stepping now going hurry, we need your references! Hurry!

Iím going to email with two professional ones, and say the final one from a former manager is available after the company offers me the role (And if I decide to accept). I donít want to waste the time of anyone involved on my end - until itís something Iím absolutely interested in.
I wouldn't even go that far unless you're desperate. I'd simply say that I have them available and that I'd only furnish them if we're to the point that the offer is contingent upon a positive reference check.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,429,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Government employers often require this. I've never had one check my references before the interview that I knew about it. It's a totally different situation than some headhunting group demanding references before I interview for some lousy W-2 gig.
Oh mercy, I was told they'd call all my references and I was sitting in the cube farm when they called one of my co-workers. We ALL heard Larry give me a glowing review. Everyone was mad at him for it (except me!) LOL

Old 04-12-2019, 08:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 691,725 times
I don't trust third party recruiters with references. they will be calling them trying to sell their services to them.

I only give references to government or after an interview if I've made the shortlist.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

125 posts, read 49,945 times
Yes, I have had this happen, and I did give the manager's reference, but only the manager's email, not his/her phone #. That way, you can let the reference know. You can tell the recruiter that the reference does not wish to be contacted via phone.

If the headhunter insists on phone # (i know some do), then give them one of the references from that job that you know personally. This way both your side and the headhunter's side are covered, and will be good to go by the time you get the last round of interview done.

If they really really want your previous manager's reference/feedback, they will reach out via the email you gave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or