U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 AM

33 posts, read 9,571 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have an in person job interview coming up out of state. I知 50/50 on this job, the role seems great, however the location is less than ideal for me. I知 open minded though and am looking forward to traveling to visit the team / location, and trusting my instincts.

I had a brief 20 minute phone interview with the Hiring Manager prior to the invite for the in person. However, I知 working through a recruitment agency, and they just contacted me stating they needed to call all of my references prior to the interview. Normally, I explain references may only be contacted after an offer of employment has been made. No one has questioned it.

The thing is, with this recruiter, they池e requesting one former manager to be included; and quite frankly, I知 not comfortable having them call this reference until I知 sure I have the offer and I知 sure that I値l be taking it. The job hunt is long, and I only have one manager to lean on for this, and want to save it for when I absolutely want it. (Still early on in my career, so not a list of jobs to pull from for a management perspective).

Is it alright if I email the recruiter and explain here are two professionals references from X and X, and I壇 be happy to provide a manager reference following an offer of employment? I hope you understand.

Please let me know your thoughts...Or is this becoming standard with recruitment agencies. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times
The only time I will provide reference information up front is if I am applying directly to a government or university employer. I trust them more than private sector businesses. Recruiters may very well just be phishing for more contacts. Otherwise, reference information should be provided as part of the last steps of the hiring process.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 AM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
What good is a reference check after they have made an offer and you accepted? What is the point then?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What good is a reference check after they have made an offer and you accepted? What is the point then?
The offer is usually contingent upon a positive reference. They make the offer contingent upon the reference check. They're not pre-screening references before going to an interview. Big difference there.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,108,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

Good call. I worked for the state of Oregon and references were required on the written application. I remember one interviewee who stated that there might be some red flags on the references provided, and by golly there were!

He didn't get the job.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Good call. I worked for the state of Oregon and references were required on the written application. I remember one interviewee who stated that there might be some red flags on the references provided, and by golly there were!

He didn't get the job.
Government employers often require this. I've never had one check my references before the interview that I knew about it. It's a totally different situation than some headhunting group demanding references before I interview for some lousy W-2 gig.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,108,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Government employers often require this. I've never had one check my references before the interview that I knew about it. It's a totally different situation than some headhunting group demanding references before I interview for some lousy W-2 gig.

We always checked references after the interview, not before. It's a waste of time to make calls if the interviewee fails to show up for the interview, which happened more then once. We notified the winner by phone or mail after checking references.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:24 AM

33 posts, read 9,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We always checked references after the interview, not before. It's a waste of time to make calls if the interviewee fails to show up for the interview, which happened more then once. We notified the winner by phone or mail after checking references.
Agreed. This isn’t a public sector role either. I absolutely provide them for that and understand why. I think the recruitment agency here (I’m not working through the company’s HR) has this on their “to do” list - however, they’ve already arranged my plane ticket and hotel for the interview. Feels like they’re back stepping now going hurry, we need your references! Hurry!

I’m going to email with two professional ones, and say the final one from a former manager is available after the company offers me the role (And if I decide to accept). I don’t want to waste the time of anyone involved on my end - until it’s something I’m absolutely interested in.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:02 AM
DKM

2,820 posts, read 1,005,409 times
I gave references to the recruiter before the interview when I was going out of state. Sometimes that's part of what they are selling: a well qualified candidate with references checked. I wanted the job so bad (so I could move here) that I had no problems doing that.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:08 AM

1,546 posts, read 399,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Hi everyone! I have an in person job interview coming up out of state. I知 50/50 on this job, the role seems great, however the location is less than ideal for me. I知 open minded though and am looking forward to traveling to visit the team / location, and trusting my instincts.

I had a brief 20 minute phone interview with the Hiring Manager prior to the invite for the in person. However, I知 working through a recruitment agency, and they just contacted me stating they needed to call all of my references prior to the interview. Normally, I explain references may only be contacted after an offer of employment has been made. No one has questioned it.

The thing is, with this recruiter, they池e requesting one former manager to be included; and quite frankly, I知 not comfortable having them call this reference until I知 sure I have the offer and I知 sure that I値l be taking it. The job hunt is long, and I only have one manager to lean on for this, and want to save it for when I absolutely want it. (Still early on in my career, so not a list of jobs to pull from for a management perspective).

Is it alright if I email the recruiter and explain here are two professionals references from X and X, and I壇 be happy to provide a manager reference following an offer of employment? I hope you understand.

Please let me know your thoughts...Or is this becoming standard with recruitment agencies. Thank you!
By recruitment agency, you are referring to a headhunter? If so, don't give them anything. You call the shots. Headhunters lie and say anything for their own self-interests. They will lie and say the client requires this when they don't ask about it at all.

So you might wonder, why is the headhunter pushing for this stuff? I will tell you. They are using you applying for this job to data mine your resume and contacts to find new commission based placements for themselves. Notice the references aren't just references, but people who were a former manager, because your former manager is in a position to approve them submitting people for job openings. If they won't let you advance without giving them this information, then you should pass on the whole thing.

You have to travel to another state. Are they going to pay your travel expenses for this? If not, another red flag, where they pump you up to take the job and convince the hiring manager you want to move there without relocation help anyway.

Remember, headhunters are commissioned jobs just like realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or