U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Any company that requires consistent weekly hours like those is completely dysfunctional IMO and probably has all kinds of problems with turnover and being short staffed. In the end they will probably go out of business

Unless you’re a doctor saving lives, I see no reason to work like that
That is not true. Many co's work their people long hours and are very successful. Also, people trypically know what they're getting into before they accept an offer.

My co has been around 20 years. We're not going anywhere. They told me the hours upfront. I was ok with it.

It depends on company. Work/life balance is of course important, but there are many people who work long hours and don't mind, and in fact, might quite like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 PM

56,033 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think in most cases senior management works more than 40 hours off the clock. It comes with the territory of moving up to high level salaried positions.
Yes, in the last few years of my career, I worked some unbelievably long days, but also, we were expected to check email and respond if necessary nights, weekends, and on vacation.

It was rough at times, but retiring at 57 and having that pension check land in my account the last business day of every month makes it feel as if it was worth it.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, in the last few years of my career, I worked some unbelievably long days, but also, we were expected to check email and respond if necessary nights, weekends, and on vacation.

It was rough at times, but retiring at 57 and having that pension check land in my account the last business day of every month makes it feel as if it was worth it.
Oh, yup.

Laying over in Taipei, Taiwan answering client emails … that was fun

Old 04-12-2019, 12:24 PM

56,033 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Any company that requires consistent weekly hours like those is completely dysfunctional IMO and probably has all kinds of problems with turnover and being short staffed. In the end they will probably go out of business

Unless you’re a doctor saving lives, I see no reason to work like that
Um, no, lol. I worked for a public transportation agency that's been in existence for almost 100 years. They aren't going to "go out of business".

Now, dysfunctional...maybe. After all, like all public agencies, it functions based on the agenda of politicians and what they want the public to think about them. So, sometimes the long hours are based on unrealistic project schedules designed to coordinate with elections and public "lookie at what I got done" announcements that an elected official wants to make.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

1,516 posts, read 971,270 times
I worked at law firm; I frequently worked over 60 hours and often over 70 hours in a week. I lasted 18 months, but checked out after around 6 months. It wasn't for me. The interesting thing is that it wasn't "required"- the billable hour requirement was only around 37 hours a week (1850 hours for the year), but the work came in the form of projects and everything was always an emergency, so the hours followed.

Since then I've been at large corporations and life has been good. It's definitely a trade-off- at the law firm, you are treated like a rock star. Paid very well, treated like royalty, and constant career growth. Corporations are very, very different- we're overhead, so careers get stuck, pay stagnates, you feel unimportant, etc. But the lifestyle is great.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 6,595,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
60-80 hours/week regularly?? A lot of people fall for that crap in certain fields/companies. No thank you , unless I'm getting paid overtime or a significantly high salary. I was at 55-60 hours/week at my last job and left it for 40-45 hours in my current position. My free time is more important to me, and I don't just exist exclusively to make some company happy.

I could see it being tolerable in a job that I absolutely love, though.

Now I could see this. I agree with that.

Or if it was a group that I enjoyed being around. I've experienced that before, and didn't mind staying late just to be around people who shared similar interests.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
291 posts, read 231,918 times
I'm retired now, but it was the norm in my industry (Engineer at a nuclear power plant). I was salary so for the most part I did not get paid OT, but there were a few exceptions (scheduled plant Shutdowns). Occasionally if I worked a lot of OT hours my supervisor would try to compensate with some time off. However, the pay was good and I was able to retire comfortably at 57 years old so it was well worth it IMO.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:52 PM

780 posts, read 203,493 times
I don't mind occasionally working a few late days here and there to support the team, but I would not stick around if it was expected to be routine. I have a family and life outside of work that I enjoy far more. That's what my life revolves around, not my company.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM

270 posts, read 256,669 times
Investment banking and Biglaw are that way and the people who want those jobs all know. It's still extremely competitive as they're very highly paid.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:27 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,077,209 times
60-80 regularly I wouldn't do, at least not for an entire career. I'm not here to just work. Maybe if my job had more meaning or something, but I am not out here saving lives.

I do currently work a lot as I have a part time job, but it's my choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or