Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:09 PM

127 posts, read 102,114 times

Advertisements

On company time, and each attendee to bring a gift....

Admittedly, have never been to a baby shower (not my culture). I also am not close to the mom-to-be, and I feel that such things are best celebrated outside the workforce. In a setting with many young women of childbearing age, introducing this concept may get costly.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Just don't attend.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Nothing wrong with it at all, most companies I have worked for had baby showers held during work hours. Strictly voluntary of course.

If you don't want to attend, don't.

This also depends on how big of a company and group you work for. I worked in a pretty decent sized organization so I was able to not go to any of these. But if it's a very small work group, small company, etc., it would behoove you to participate. No need to carry on your everyday life with a huge chip on your shoulder just to prove that you prefer to be a loner (saying in general). It's not gonna hurt to attend such functions once in a while.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:40 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Here are my baby shower "rules" as a manager:

1) Never thrown by management; only a friend(s) of the person
2) 100% voluntary
3) no mention of gifts - EVER. (Should people bring gifts, that is their prerogative.)

This applies to all "parties" - baby showers; wedding showers, graduations, birthdays, etc...

Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 AM

It has been management-organized (mom-to-be and management are pals), I have been voluntold to attend, and a list of where the mom has registered was disseminated by the organizer.

Frankly, that was a bit too much pressure for me, and I bailed.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 AM

346 posts, read 550,340 times
People at my company used to throw baby showers. It was fine, except that they circulate e-mails and a folder asking for everyone to donate money for gifts with a link to the person's baby gift registry. Voluntary, with a hint of peer pressure.

I've always declined.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Baby showers were held during the lunch hour in one of the conference rooms. E-mail invitations were sent out. It was voluntary but those who planned to attend would circulate throughout the office questioning if you were going to attend and if you wanted to chip in money for a gift. If you declined you were pretty much declared rude.

My thoughts are that functions like that should be held off company property and not on company time.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
It's one of those things we have to suffer through as part of the cost of having a job. Much like buying a suit or special clothes for work, gifts for various events are a necessary expense.

That said, I don't like them. I can understand a going away luncheon for someone leaving, but wedding and baby showers seem a bit over the top. Those are things that are supposed to be thrown by best friends for best friends, not quasi-mandatory work function where participation goes into your "not a team player" score. The thing for me isn't the cost, but the essentially mandatory part of it. Like a long ago boss told us "It's strictly voluntary if you participate. Just like it's strictly voluntary what I write on your evaluation." Yep, message received, loud and clear.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
So a gift is REQUIRED?! What is this nonsense? What if you don't even like the person OR just don't care for them either way, such as in your case?

I just won't show up OR if you still care about good work attendance, how about work that day, but leave early when the party starts or something?

Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So a gift is REQUIRED?! What is this nonsense? What if you don't even like the person OR just don't care for them either way, such as in your case?

I just won't show up OR if you still care about good work attendance, how about work that day, but leave early when the party starts or something?
It was held during regular work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment