Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 PM

119 posts, read 68,441 times

Advertisements

I guess it is fairly common knowledge that non-profits tend to pay less than for-profit organizations, given the same job title, but what are some other differences? I am only interested in comparing large non-profits and large for-profits. It would be especially interesting to get input from people who have worked in both sectors.

Let's say Joe was offered a job at Geico corporate and also at a large non-profit health system, for example, Sutter Health for the role of systems administrator.

- How much less would he make a year working at the large non-profit healthcare organization?

- Would he have to work more or less hours? If so, what is the differential?

- Which option would be less stressful?

- Differences in advancement opportunities?

Anything else worth considering?

Would the analysis change if the role was buyer, accountant, or some other job title that is common in both sectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM

134 posts, read 103,165 times
I work for a large non profit and have worked most of my career in private industry. I will say my non profit is extremely large and is run like a for - profit, with the main difference being how cheap they are when it comes to lower level employees. They squeeze hours out of you and provide very little in terms of tools for success, maintaining they are a non-profit and have to be concious of spending. Yet, executives make outrageous salaries and they spend like like crazy on nonsense because, well....they can’t show a profit. Turnover is notoriously high in non-profits, at least in mine, as there is such a lack of work-life balance and no checks and balances when it comes to HR. I would definitely go back to private in a heartbeat.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
I work for a large non profit and have worked most of my career in private industry. I will say my non profit is extremely large and is run like a for - profit, with the main difference being how cheap they are when it comes to lower level employees. They squeeze hours out of you and provide very little in terms of tools for success, maintaining they are a non-profit and have to be concious of spending. Yet, executives make outrageous salaries and they spend like like crazy on nonsense because, well....they can’t show a profit. Turnover is notoriously high in non-profits, at least in mine, as there is such a lack of work-life balance and no checks and balances when it comes to HR. I would definitely go back to private in a heartbeat.
Thank you for your comment. That is quite discouraging to hear. What sector is your non-profit in? Do you think that applies to the corporate offices of major healthcare systems?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I work for what is legally a non-profit in an industry that can go either way.

Like the other person said, you seem to get the worst of both worlds - instability of the private sector, low pay and benefits of nonprofits.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 AM

134 posts, read 103,165 times
It’s a health related non-profit. This is my first time in health also so can’t speak knowledgeably about the health care industry. Sorry

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
They are all different. I worked for two non-profits, one was a well oiled machine that treated their employees very well. Another was a complete mess and didn't know which way was up.

It's just like the private sector. Some are great, some aren't.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:37 PM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
In the ‘90s I worked for a non-profit (cancer research center) then went to work doing sort of the same thing in ‘industry’ (big Swiss pharmaceutical company). Industry was half the stress and three times the pay. I guess ultimately the cost is lack of job stability in the pharmaceutical industry. The cancer center is still there and getting bigger actually while the pharmaceutical I worked at merged and morphed and laid off thousands of people and while I can still find work, the job market ain’t what it used to be.

The way the cancer center worked was that a lot of our salaries were cobbled together from whatever the pharmas would pay the center to do clinical trials, so they had their expectations but then the doctors and services we worked for had their expectations and pet projects, which were actually more fun, so there was always that juggling going on. Getting a promotion just piled administrative stuff on top of what I was doing before, so there wasn’t any relief there and the stress just made me miserable. Pharmaceutical companies are more stovepiped so the duties are a bit more straightforward. There are still huge dollops of stress but it’s more deadline-based and there’s always some relief at the end. The stress at the cancer center was constant.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post
I guess it is fairly common knowledge that non-profits tend to pay less than for-profit organizations, given the same job title, but what are some other differences?
I would say that your initial assumption is not always accurate. I worked for a large non-profit organization in the academic space (not as a lawyer -- in case you're looking at my username). It was the most I've ever made in the private or public sector prior to moving into law. The thing is that if the non-profit is not a charity (where money is saved for the cause) it is often used to reward employees. Since the company cannot show any profit at all, the money is used to attract good talent that can contribute to the cause (where money is not the solution to the cause, like a charity).

Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I would say that your initial assumption is not always accurate. I worked for a large non-profit organization in the academic space (not as a lawyer -- in case you're looking at my username). It was the most I've ever made in the private or public sector prior to moving into law. The thing is that if the non-profit is not a charity (where money is saved for the cause) it is often used to reward employees. Since the company cannot show any profit at all, the money is used to attract good talent that can contribute to the cause (where money is not the solution to the cause, like a charity).
Not necessarily.

I work for a large, non-profit, healthcare org. Technically, we're not supposed to make money and reward that back to employees in the form of bonuses and such. Execs get it. People below director level usually don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment