U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 AM

36 posts, read 10,945 times

Advertisements

I've only had a male boss once in my life and that was in high school working at Arby's.

From college and into the corporate working world, nearly every manager, supervisor, director and VP I've ever had to report to was a woman.

I consider myself a professional and see my peers as just that - peers. I try not to even register their gender or ethnicity.

But yeah idk why "women aren't advancing". The sky seems to be the limit at the law firms and fortune 100 companies I've been employeed at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM

610 posts, read 266,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design It View Post
But yeah idk why "women aren't advancing". The sky seems to be the limit at the law firms and fortune 100 companies I've been employeed at.
Netflix has a 30 minutes documentary on this subject.

The compared men and women who had near identical backgrounds upon completing school.

Men work more. That's the conclusion the documentary came to.

Women typically start to have kids in their 20's to mid 30's. Once that happen, they stop making work a priority hence became less likely to get promoted.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 04-13-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,713,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Y...As a black man, if women and people of color want to advance more, we are more than welcome to start our own businesses. If we donít have the money or drive to do so, looks like weíre just out of luck....
How is that different from anyone else, regardless of sex or race? I just don't understand this whole drive to take something that is a common element across all people and declare it a problem for only one group?

It's just like the common statement that women who are aggressive in the work place and called a B---- and men aren't. Which isn't exactly true. Men who act the same way in the workplace are treated the same as women who do. They just add "son of..." in front of it.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:58 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,502,540 times
Have to laugh.

When I started my career at a large Fed. agency, the head of personnel said to us: "Welcome to the matriarchy." She wasn't smiling when she said it.

75% female. Just under half of the senior execs. were female.

Forgot to mention, this was 1967.

Retiring in 1997, over half of senior execs were female. And 90% of the employees receiving annual Commisioner Citations and other annual awds. were female.

Can imagine what the numbers show today. Despite this, I had a nice career there, as did my wife.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM

116 posts, read 35,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The same reason we have failed to elect a female President!
Because the one that got the nomination was a horrible candidate.

Quote:
Same reason the military doesn't want women in combat!
Because they can't meet the physical requirements (pushups, pullups, etc.). The Army has lower requirements for women than men. Just like women running that Boston Marathon this weekend get in with qualifying times 30 minutes slower than men.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 AM

10,669 posts, read 21,344,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I thought women have advanced a lot, unless I am just naive maybe?
You and me both. I was born in 65. I started pumping gas at my dads station at age 11. I rode a moped at 15, motorcycle at 17. I worked on my own cars and bikes, even started restoring an old Mustang. I also worked another mans job driving a fork lift, a kubota with 3 boat trailers to order pick plants. The sky is the limit for women in a mans world now because of women like me

I know women that are the bread winners with their hubs raising the kids.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Have to laugh.

When I started my career at a large Fed. agency, the head of personnel said to us: "Welcome to the matriarchy." She wasn't smiling when she said it.

75% female. Just under half of the senior execs. were female.

Forgot to mention, this was 1967.

Retiring in 1997, over half of senior execs were female. And 90% of the employees receiving annual Commisioner Citations and other annual awds. were female.

Can imagine what the numbers show today. Despite this, I had a nice career there, as did my wife.
You see the same thing in the consumer banking industry. The female senior executives outnumber the men. The capital markets, risk and technology departments were the few departments with more male senior executives.

As a man, I never had any issues with a female supervisor compared to a male supervisor. The men seemed to be more type A screamers with less control over their emotions. I have seen 2 male supervisors quit or get fired for screaming at their peers, but this was middle management.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,358,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The same reason we have failed to elect a female President! Same reason the military doesn't want women in combat!

Why? The truth may come out at last, that women are stronger than men!

Let's not overlook many powerful, wealthy men, as behind them lies their PBT, Power Behind The Throne, and without her, he might be a mere Nobody!

A good example of that is Obama who referred to Michelle as The Boss!
This is the modern feminist group think that further divides the genders...

Men are not stronger (at everything) than women.

Women are not stronger (at everything) then men.

Not All women are the same... not all men are the same.

Men say "Man up" (not necessarily a good thing) but it is in of itself a challenge to compete with other men.

Why must feminists of today imply that "Men" (as if we are all the same) is a group to beat, emasculate, and defeat? Women can stand on their own and don't need to measure up against "Men".... Feminism isn't suppose to be about beating the other gender into submission. It was suppose to be about gaining equal opportunity and that progress has already been set in motion. The key word is opportunity... not entitled. Entitlements specifically for the female gender is exactly what women shouldn't want for themselves.

For the most part, this has already been set in motion by the dedicated traditional feminists of years past. It is just a matter of time (generations long) when things will be even less divisive between the genders. The modern notion of feminism is exactly why elder feminists no longer want to be referred to or associated with modern feminism movement.

As someone already stated, women have a tendency to change priorities when family comes into the picture... they work less. That isn't a bad thing. My neighbor is the opposite; father raised the children and mother is career driven. It isn't any surprise that she is the primary income earner. So its not so much the gender but rather the priorities.

A female president, Hillary, wasn't elected because she was a terrible candidate.

Women are more and more serving in combat situations; Jessica Lynch for example. There are logistical issues and physical requirements that must be met regardless of gender. War and combat doesn't give special provisions to men nor women.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:19 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Well, I'm female, at the top of my game and the end of my career in probably 5 years.
I've always been a better follower than a leader. I excel at my job. My supervisor excels at his. I've been in this position at different locations. Male dominated field. Never had a female supervisor in this particular profession. There are female supervisors where I am and one of them has run off some great people. Hoo boy she's a horrible example!
I've been told I should put in for supervisor. I feel more effective in the job I have now. I'm not a born leader and I know it. I am, however, totally awesome doing what I do!

Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,272,916 times
iuuno not a female, but I think, from what I've seen

men feel threatened by an educated woman

sometimes the simplest answer is the best imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment