U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM

9,277 posts, read 9,240,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
most teachers nurses salon owners are women....

Jeez, do you not realize those are low-status, low-paying jobs? As a matter of fact, now that you mention salons, most of the top salons are all begun by men - Sassoon, Licari, Bumble, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 PM

4,875 posts, read 1,549,486 times
As far as the notion goes that we almost never had female Presidential candidate, most women just seem to not want to run for President. Out of all the rich female celebrities in the US, couldn't quite a few of them afford to have a campaign for running for President, if they wanted to?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM

2,454 posts, read 699,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The same reason we have failed to elect a female President!
Because the only one that has been nominated, was a sociopath.

So you believe all women are sociopaths and that keeps them from advancing?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,274,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Jeez, do you not realize those are low-status, low-paying jobs? As a matter of fact, now that you mention salons, most of the top salons are all begun by men - Sassoon, Licari, Bumble, etc.
nurses make bank oO

Teachers in certain districts Metros (LA,NYC,NJ,DC etc.) make bank.....location matters.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 PM

78,849 posts, read 70,665,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Uh... it ain't just women...

If you're nor some kind of connected, man or woman, you're not advancing.
This. Advancement for everyone stalled; salary/wage increased stalled in the 80's. Even so, for women with advanced degrees and management experience, there are still glass-ceiling issues.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 PM

78,849 posts, read 70,665,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Totally depends on the level of nursing degree. There are the minimally-trained Philippine and Latina immigrant nursing aides, but then there are the 4-year-degree and beyond RN's, PA''s, etc. They make 6 figures. Some only work 3 days/week and make 6 figures. INCREDIBLE insurance coverage, too! I know one whose husband was on her insurance policy, and it paid for his heart surgery down to the penny! Hundreds of thousands of dollars on the bill, all covered by insurance!

If that's low-status, low-pay, bring it ON!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 PM

374 posts, read 96,522 times
I can only speak from experience in the Australian civil service:

At the time of my retirement 'the glass ceiling' still existed. Women were noticeably under represented at senior levels. Women managers and above were very much in the minority .

At that time, to get ahead a woman needed to be tougher than any man and work much harder . Your typical testicle crusher. Or she could be as sweet as pie, and get the men to underestimate her. It remained unusual for women to join the ranks of senior public servants, such as federal department heads, in Canberra

The reason remains as simple as it always has been; Our society remains a patriarchy, in which women are still largely seen and treated as 'less than'[men).

I won't enter into an argument based on exceptionalism. I speak of general principles and entrenched attitudes in general.

I've said this before; in my opinion it will be another hundred years [at least] before women are culturally accepted as the equal of men. By that I mean equality will simply be taken for granted, without conscious thought. We are a long way from there--Eg there are people on this forum who still think men teated unjustly compared to women.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,049,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Netflix has a 30 minutes documentary on this subject.

The compared men and women who had near identical backgrounds upon completing school.

Men work more. That's the conclusion the documentary came to.

Women typically start to have kids in their 20's to mid 30's. Once that happen, they stop making work a priority hence became less likely to get promoted.
There is a fascinating study from last year around Uber drivers, with data from millions of fares. They were surprised to find a gender pay gap there, as anyone can sign up and take fares so the process itself is gender neutral. They found that men make more because they work more hours, leading to increased efficiency due to job knowledge (you learn shortcuts, which roads to avoid at what times, etc.) and that men also take more risks (they drive faster and don't mind doing bar pickups at 2 am).

Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 PM

12,938 posts, read 8,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Companies are desperate to move women into more senior positions. It's all I hear about at work. And there is a dearth of women positioned for that, for a number of reasons. Big efforts are made to attract and retain women, and when a woman with potential for senior leadership leaves, they're very upset. It seems like a lot of effort for a mediocre result, and I wonder if they're trying to force something that isn't meant to be for one reason or another. There are a lot of women in upper middle level positions, but fewer at the top. I think part of it is that the price of getting to the top level is so high in terms of what you give up in your personal life, and as long as that is the case, it will probably continue to be mostly men and single, childless women.

I have a more laissez faire approach. I think there shouldn't be discrimination, and that the best person should be hired regardless of gender.
In cut-throat industries it's less likely to find women because very few women could make sacrifices such as not have family life nor take vacations. Almost all women managers that I know take vacations and are out of the office more than their male counterparts. When there's a crisis at work, the first responders are typically males while females take a more passive approach to handling a crisis situation.

If you look at all the workaholics at work, majority of them are male. If you look at the history of humans, males have always been the hunter gatherer while the women care for the children. Biology is the reason, people can argue that male and female can be equal but you cannot argue against biological traits.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:43 PM

9,578 posts, read 5,379,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I feel as a woman you get judged more. If you are, or perceived to be, of 'child-bearing age' you may not get the job b/c the co will fear you will be leave to get pregnant etc etc.
This isn't being judge... this is the reality. Women have a tendency to switch priorities to family once the kids are born. A man who is upfront about making family a priority will face the same difficulties. My neighbor (father raised the child) is the same position... it is no surprise the mother is the primary income earner. It is also the same reason why they specifically planned on a single child... no more. She didn't want the down time for her career; Management in food industry and now starting her own restaurant/bakery.

There is no reason for a woman to up front with the prospect and make it clear she is a career driven individual.

This isn't necessarily gender but rather an individual's priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment