U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 PM

9,257 posts, read 9,216,940 times

Advertisements

Not really news, I suppose...

Why Arenít Women Advancing More in Corporate America?
From the 1970s into the í90s, women made serious progress in the workplace. Then that progress stalled, especially at the top.

Letís start with the double bind that women face. If theyíre perceived as nice and warm and nurturing, as theyíre expected to be, they donít show what it takes to move into a leadership position. But when they take charge to get things done, theyíre often seen as angrier or more aggressive than men.
The women whose rankings exhibited expertise were actually perceived as less influential than the women without expertise ó and in fact exerted less influence over the group. For men, the dynamic was the opposite... Women with high grades were also less likely to be called back than women with average grades.
Quadlin also did a survey of employers that suggested ó surprise, surprise ó that they valued competence more for men and likability more for women.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-america.html

https://updatenewsportal.com/why-are...orate-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 PM

115 posts, read 34,974 times
Do you want to hear the truth or do you want a politically correct answer?

Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Good question. I can't believe we're still fighting this fight.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:08 AM

4,363 posts, read 3,235,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Do you want to hear the truth or do you want a politically correct answer?
I want to hear your opinion. No judgment.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:05 AM

1,400 posts, read 812,101 times
Uh... it ain't just women...

If you're nor some kind of connected, man or woman, you're not advancing.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 AM

4,830 posts, read 1,534,912 times
I thought women have advanced a lot, unless I am just naive maybe?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:01 AM

40 posts, read 8,203 times
This may be mostly anecdotal but as a manager who worked in a biomedical company with predominately female co-workers, I think the main reason is that a majority of women care too damn much about being likable. I think Sheryl Sandberg mentioned this issue in her book that men are taught to be powerful and women are taught to be liked. From my observations, a lot of women can be good managers if they want to, but they are holding themselves back due to perceive social norms. They hesitate when having to deal with evaluating people honestly. They are also less capable of selecting people based on rationale and skills and rely on emotional connection.

The women that managed to overcome this and some of the most accomplished people in my company. You can tell right the way: They give honest suggestions, host meetings very well, and never need to be the loudest in the room to gain attention and they are willing to work alone. One biomedical engineer managed to became the business unit manager at the age of 32 and was actually someone I looked up to a lot. I just wish more women have guts to do what she did.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:02 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
The same reason we have failed to elect a female President! Same reason the military doesn't want women in combat!

Why? The truth may come out at last, that women are stronger than men!

Let's not overlook many powerful, wealthy men, as behind them lies their PBT, Power Behind The Throne, and without her, he might be a mere Nobody!

A good example of that is Obama who referred to Michelle as The Boss!

Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Good question. I can't believe we're still fighting this fight.
You canít believe imperfect humans are being imperfect? America has shown time and time again that we donít want to be the best country on earth. That award usually goes to Australia or Canada

As a black man, if women and people of color want to advance more, we are more than welcome to start our own businesses. If we donít have the money or drive to do so, looks like weíre just out of luck.

My life will go on regardless of the inherent inequalities of America.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:46 AM

18,347 posts, read 23,510,540 times
most teachers nurses salon owners are women....

ive seen women advance a lot..... principals....more and more in management....

you look at college majors....more men go into business management corporate law.....

if the op is saying...why not women in top ceo positions....more and more are- but also consider in middle management and vice presidents positions......these positions often require many overnights and travels..weeks away and if the lady is a mother/nester many of these positions don't appeal to them... being away from their kids/family..

also consider the women are the mothers and she has kids shes taking time off and many women...even with college degrees...wants to be home raising their kids..

also the power positions may not appeal to women as much in a cut-throat dog eat dog world of upper management... men are more "competitive"

also consider these two variables......divorce rates are at 50% single mothers are a lioness for their kids and often sacrifice themselves on many levels...
again.....time travelling and away from their kids...do not appeal to them in upper management positions...they are "usually" the primary caretakers of the kids.

in the big picture.... before 1970 most women did not work outside the house..
after 1980 most did/do

women have made huge strides......I see women in management positions everywhere and god bless them..
but ...again because of the factors I listed above … women in society are also mothers..and caretakers of their kids.... so when they balance … much more time...stress...and travel away from their kids.....many top level jobs don't look that appealing......in their own life's goals..

also parents that home-school im betting over 80% are mothers …

I know many women that went off to college ...got their degrees and got married but choose to stay home raising their own kids...while the father/man works..
also consider the cost of childcare today …. I know a couple that is paying over 1800 month for their 3 kids in childcare......and the mother is planning to try to stay at home ...work part time ...not full time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment