U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,151,541 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer - This is more a vent post rather than looking for advice

When I joined my last company, my hiring manager left within 2 months of me joining. He was replaced by someone whose management style I did not agree with. When asked whyI was leaving the company during my exit interview (I was there for ~1 year), the manager played a big role.

Now I joined this new company, and once again, my hiring manager is leaving within 1 month of me joining. He is being replacement by 2 people (let's call them A & B) so the team is being split, both who have never managed before and frankly both have very different personalities. I get along great with A and have a good rapport going, but I have been assigned to B. Being honest, I do not like B. He is one of those pple that violates typical HR policies day by day and gets away with it. He is arrogant and a micromanager and control freak. Why is he being promoted? He has been with the company for a long time and is good as an individual contributor. Btw, while I am sounding harsh, I am not the only person that feels this way about B. I have chatted with everyone else now reporting to B and everyone agrees with everything I am saying.

I brought it up to the big boss and was honest with him in my reasons. I requested to work for A. The company culture is very direct. He just told me this is his final decision, you are in or you are out with his plans, period. He said to give person B a chance and try to work with him. Unfortunately, this whole situation is causing me (since I'm so new) to have this impression I'm difficult to work with, am someone who complains, and not a team players. Obviously, my original manager (who is now gone) knows this is not the truth, but since he's gone it just sucks I have to start from bottom and rebuild my reputation. I feel like as of now I have no choice but to shutup, esp since I already voiced my concerns.

It sucks because if I knew this was going to happen, I would of never joined the company. Now I feel like I'm a bit stuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,424,430 times
In our area there has recently been a lot of turnover in management. Some of it is retirements, but more often good managers are being offered more money by other, bigger companies. We average a reorganization every 7-8 years, usually with a new CEO, and that too can result in shuffling of bosses. Your unfortunate circumstances are not that unusual. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches, hang in for long enough to not look like a job hopper, then start looking for the next, hopefully better job.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 PM

2,060 posts, read 597,123 times
Unfortunately par for course these days....

My only advice is to pick bosses instead of companies these days, and always keep your resume fresh every 6 months.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 PM

3,756 posts, read 2,123,163 times
All too common these days. Finding a quality employer that isn't mismanaged is about the equivalent of winning the lottery. No wonder America is in such poor shape. Rarely do I see most managers/employees last a few years at one place anymore.

It defies logic. Back when companies were rolling on all cylinders and doing well, generally people worked their way up and grew with the company. The way most businesses operate now is just a recipe for failure with constant reshuffling of people and turnover.

You can't run a business (outside of fast food and retail) with a revolving door of people

Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 PM

689 posts, read 250,633 times
Most people may think if you are not happy working at one company, it’s better to look for job somewhere else. Sometimes, it may be a good idea, and it may be not.

When someone jumps from one company to another and has to experience something worse than the last company, it is like “Out of the frying pan into the fire.”

Another thing, I witnessed these two ex co-workers who resigned from their last company and came to where I’ve been working to get away from their manager that they did not get along with. They had been happily working here for about two years. And then that manager came to our company. Whoa! Both of them had to go again.

Meanwhile, there were lots of things going on at the company. Many resigned, many got fired, many sucked up and many fought back to keep their job. I am among the last category. I was very stressed and unhappy at that time, but I was thinking I had been here for quite sometime, I built up a very good relation with my co-workers and had trust from a few higher-ups, if I left easily meant I was weak and would lose everything. And I though if I left, who knew someday that manager would move again to the new place where I would move to. That would be very “funny” and stupid. I chose my battle to stand up for myself because I knew I was hard working, knowledgeable, very organized and capable of doing things and had some higher-ups to support me.

Unless, you get forced out by the very top, you cannot do anything but to find another job. Otherwise, if you keep jumping on your own, you will never be an anchor.

Sometimes, you really need to know about yourself and others. Study and learn the Art of War by Sun Tzu and read books about how to manage up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or