Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 12:57 PM

245 posts, read 152,736 times

Advertisements

We have all heard the phrase "going postal," and I've read several stories of mail carriers getting mad and dumping mail in the trash. Also, they sometimes deliver my neighbors' mail to me and vice versa. Incompetence is often a result of a bad attitude towards the job.

Why are so many postal workers disgruntled? They are U.S. government workers, so they get a pension, good health insurance, job security, and other benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Never been able to figure that one out either. They got things we can only DREAM of having in the private sector today. They dont have to worry about being fired and thrown out from the job market until the end of time either if some jack*** executive decides he needs a 3rd weekend yacht as well.

They think they got it bad.. Come try and work for some lousy mismanaged company in the private sector today full of greed, lack of accountability placed on management's heads, insider trading etc. They will truly see "bad"

They got a lifelong picnic compared to a lot of us private sector employees. And they're whining about it.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Never been able to figure that one out either. They got things we can only DREAM of having in the private sector today. They dont have to worry about being fired and thrown out from the job market until the end of time either if some jack*** executive decides he needs a 3rd weekend yacht as well.

They think they got it bad.. Come try and work for some lousy mismanaged company in the private sector today full of greed, lack of accountability placed on management's heads, insider trading etc. They will truly see "bad"

They got a lifelong picnic compared to a lot of us private sector employees. And they're whining about it.
That security you referenced also makes it impossible to get rid of awful managers. Imagine how you would lead if you had guaranteed job security. The more security you have the more reckless you will lead in my experience. Transferring out from under a bad manager isn’t easy and would you really quit a government job?

Old 12-25-2018, 04:43 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That security you referenced also makes it impossible to get rid of awful managers. Imagine how you would lead if you had guaranteed job security. The more security you have the more reckless you will lead in my experience. Transferring out from under a bad manager isn’t easy and would you really quit a government job?

I don't see horrible managers getting the boot in the private sector though. See a lot of valuable workers getting thrown to the street. So its a moot point really

Old 12-25-2018, 04:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
if it is such a picnic, why don't you work for them instead of all your big talk? If you cared so much about it, give up your job and work for the post office

Old 12-25-2018, 05:23 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Well, there is tedium that goes along with frustration if it isn't created by it. Sorting and delivering mail isn't exactly an emerging science. Carriers also tend to be targets for every irate unbalanced citizen who never gets the chance to whine to any other federal worker.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Good points. Also, the postal services isn't just about delivery people. There are scads of people who do nothing but sort mail all day. There are others, who sit at computers all day, entering info, figuring out where mis-directed mail goes, etc.

I had a job as a "Christmas casual" mail sorter once. It was a very strict, industrial atmosphere in there. You only got a 10-minute break, which wasn't enough time to stand in line for the women's bathroom. The mail carries all manner of germs, so if there's a flu going around, you're at risk of getting it. But you can't just go home, if you get ill; they have an on-staff doctor or nurse, who decides of your illness justifies your needing to go home. Spending your life in an environment like that would be dehumanizing.

The delivery people have it better, because they're out on their own a lot. The only problems are doing your route during a downpour (you still have to get out of the truck often, to reach some mailboxes), driving through inclement weather, or on icy roads, etc.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
CSRS. Civil Service Retirement is no longer. There may be some workers still around that will get it, but most have retired. I think it was done away with at some point in the 80s. They now get Social Security. They may still get better health insurance.

The mail is mostly all sorted by machine now. The workforce is smaller than it used to be.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
We have all heard the phrase "going postal," and I've read several stories of mail carriers getting mad and dumping mail in the trash. Also, they sometimes deliver my neighbors' mail to me and vice versa. Incompetence is often a result of a bad attitude towards the job.

Why are so many postal workers disgruntled? They are U.S. government workers, so they get a pension, good health insurance, job security, and other benefits.
Add Cola and additions to pension.
My brother inlaw pays a fair amount for health benefit.
My carrier leaves package on door step and never rings bell and leaves box open at times.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
CSRS. Civil Service Retirement is no longer. There may be some workers still around that will get it, but most have retired. I think it was done away with at some point in the 80s. They now get Social Security. They may still get better health insurance.
Oh, that's right! There was a lot of cost-cutting to the Postal Service, and I guess it was in the 80's, that it went semi-private, no longer fully on the Congressional budget? That's when that change must have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment