Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 AM

144 posts, read 129,228 times

Advertisements

I enjoy the work I do at my current company, but my boss has been coming up short on promises made to myself and others. In my case, there is a deadline because my contract is set to expire this summer. I have been promised a raise and a promotion by management, but neither has come to fruition.

While the company is bigger than any employee - especially one levels away from management like myself - they don't have anyone else with my skillset who can handle all the responsibilities my position requires. On my two off-days each week, there is a noticeable drop-off in production, because no assortment of employees can match what I can do in my particular role. Management knows this, and I am placed on every big project as a result.

Given the facts that we are understaffed, the company hasn't found anyone else who can fulfill all the responsibilities my job requires and I'm the only one capable of training new employees in the role, I hold at least some value in the day-to-day operations of the company.

With this in mind, how do I create the...urgency...for management to finalize the new contract they have promised? They know my work and what I am capable of, but are acting slowly to get things in order. I realize that everyone is replaceable, but it would take them months to handle my specific workload in my line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,659,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
I enjoy the work I do at my current company, but my boss has been coming up short on promises made to myself and others. In my case, there is a deadline because my contract is set to expire this summer. I have been promised a raise and a promotion by management, but neither has come to fruition.

While the company is bigger than any employee - especially one levels away from management like myself - they don't have anyone else with my skillset who can handle all the responsibilities my position requires. On my two off-days each week, there is a noticeable drop-off in production, because no assortment of employees can match what I can do in my particular role. Management knows this, and I am placed on every big project as a result.

Given the facts that we are understaffed, the company hasn't found anyone else who can fulfill all the responsibilities my job requires and I'm the only one capable of training new employees in the role, I hold at least some value in the day-to-day operations of the company.

With this in mind, how do I create the...urgency...for management to finalize the new contract they have promised? They know my work and what I am capable of, but are acting slowly to get things in order. I realize that everyone is replaceable, but it would take them months to handle my specific workload in my line of work.
How about, "I've been promised a raise and a promotion, and that hasn't happened yet. We all know I'm a valuable contributor here, but I'm not feeling the love. I really enjoy working here, but my compensation has not kept up with my output, and if we can't fix that I'm going to have to move on."?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM

663 posts, read 433,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post

Send a self assessment to your boss.
Use specific data ...numbers if you have them
Do you have company reviews you can quote from as far as "excellent employee" "major part of the successful project" etc?
Keep it to one page or less with lots of action verbs. Performance Review Action Verbs – Human Resources Department
Give them a deadline .. "I would like to meet with you on ** to discuss my upcoming contract"
Ms/Mr Boss:
I would like to remind you that my contract is coming up for renewal on ***. My goal for this contract is for you to fufilll your commitment of a raise and promotion. I would like the following to be considered in making decisions for that contract renewal.
On my two off-days each week, there is a noticeable drop-off in production, because no assortment of employees can match what I can do in my particular role. (add any data)
Management relies on my skills and work ethic to add value to major company projects. During this contract I have worked on ..... (details).
I perform the full range of the duties of my position and often (assist others, take on projects whatever fits that is beyond your regular scope.
I am the company trainer and have demonstrated the ability to timely and accuratly complete my duties and give much needed training to our staff.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I am looking forward to discussing this with you.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM

144 posts, read 129,228 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I sent a note to my bosses, who addressed things with me very quickly. They say I will be taken care of very soon and I am a "mainstay" at the company, but I've been around the block long enough to know these situations don't always play out as they should. They're well aware of the production gap when I'm not in the office. Nevertheless, I'm preparing for anything and dusting off the resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment