U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post

I only seem to get boring corporate (clerical) jobs like AP, AR, processing procurement orders, accounting reviews etc. Basically repetitive jobs where you have to input data, close/open credit cards, work with Excel tables all day, jobs from hell for me. Those jobs are not as creative as urban planning, singing in a band/writing songs or coding and creating something cool with all that PC power. Nor as interractive as selling cars to people or walking around a warehouse checking on things/people.

Am I forever doomed to repeat those same jobs? I find them too boring/tedious and after a month at most I'm wanting out.
You're never going to find a "perfect job", so my advice would be to carefully evaluate your own psyche -- your long-term desires, likes and dislikes; that way, you're less likely to be "pigeon-holed', and stuck in a role you'll quickly come to dislike within a few months after graduation and hiring.

My degree was also in Bus, Admin, so I was steered toward accounting, tax accounting in particular, and I handled the written problems and exercises well, had a perfect 4.00 within my major. But before I took the CPA exam, I worked in a tax prep office, and found out I couldn't stomach the dress codes, the office politics, the rigid daylight schedule, and the occasional "salesmanship" and haggling with difficult clients who couldn't understand what was being done.

From there, I "lucked out" (or so it seemed at the time) and got a job with a railroad - great pay and benefits, and the opportunity to work in the culture of a "small fraternity", and in relative isolation. But I soon found out that this was a job for a perfectionist. You can do the job right 99.9 per cent of the time, but you can't afford to make a mistake, because the potential for serious accidents is always there. (You might not be obsessive/compulsive when you're hired -- but the job will steer you toward that mindset).

But "the third time's the charm", and I eventually found a role in a fast-pace warehouse that operated 24/7 -- and small mistakes didn't have large consequences. Pay was never that great, but my Business degree and breadth of experience helped me to form some savings/capital, and invest it very wisely.

Point being -- don't lock yourself into anything just yet; go out there and explore, "get yourself a snootfull" (No, I don't mean that funny powder!) and be guided by Alexander Pope's famous observation that "All our knowledge is ourselves to know".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-18-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM

1,834 posts, read 740,416 times
Quote:
^but that sounds also like spending all your day at a desk, no?
True, but at least you'll have to think of the logistics of getting freight from one place to another, so it's not mindless, but thinking.

Even if you had a physically active job, keep in mind that every job gets repetitive eventually.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

407 posts, read 147,527 times
I just can't feel good in an open office with more than 20 people on a floor. I get stage fright.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

1,834 posts, read 740,416 times
Understood. Look for a small business? My company only has 8 people total.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 690,595 times
If you're good at many things, CHOOSE ONE. Then rock at it.

Until then, what is limiting you is your inability to make a decision.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
Quote:
I just can't feel good in an open office with more than 20 people on a floor. I get stage fright.
It's not for everyone, (definitely not for those who place a high priority on their social lives), but one approach here would be to find an employer who operates on a 24-hour/7-day basis and work outside the usual 9-to-5 pattern. The cliquishness and conformity for conformity's sake just don't prevail as much here, and you'll "score some points" if you can get things done with less support-not to mention a variety of challenges (And lots of freight- and logistics-type jobs fir this pattern, BTW).

Unless you've worked it before. I'd advise you to work an evening shift for a while (The evening shift is sometimes called the "second trick" -- now you know where my screen name comes from) before going to overnight work -- the changes in sleep patterns don't "sink in" quickly. And since you're not likely to be as busy in off-peak hours, ask the management for a "project" you can work on when it's quiet (and be sure they know about it, because a trusted self-starter during non-traditional hours can make a very good impression).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-19-2019 at 10:25 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Quote:
...I only seem to get boring corporate (clerical) jobs like AP, AR, processing procurement orders, accounting reviews etc. Basically repetitive jobs where you have to input data, close/open credit cards, work with Excel tables all day, jobs from hell for me. Those jobs are not as creative as urban planning, singing in a band/writing songs or coding and creating something cool with all that PC power. Nor as interractive as selling cars to people or walking around a warehouse checking on things/people.

Am I forever doomed to repeat those same jobs? I find them too boring/tedious and after a month at most I'm wanting out.
You have to work through the corporate jobs to move up, but corporate doesn't mean clerical. But since you don't want to work in an office environment, you should be able to find a warehouse job pretty much anywhere in the country. Amazon isn't the only company with distribution centers. Combine your business degree with warehouse work. Logistics is everywhere.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 AM

What about a small office like a tourist agency?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,234,818 times
Quote:
I like lots of things but my main interests and passions that have been constant during my life include: cars, computers, traveling, music, Botanics/plants and urbanism. I also for some reason like architecture, particularly industrial sites and warehouses. Along with car showrooms and recording studios I find them more inviting than a typical office glassed mill with rows of desks for whatever reason. I can tell you things or industries I don't like or hate like: Economics, Accounting, Statistics and Finance. Yet I've been typecast by my degrees it seems.

Now being a car salesperson would be great but it's also kinda not that well paid. I don't have a degree in bothany. I studied some Urbanism as part of an Urban Economy uni degree but dropped out due to health issues and later got another Master's. But there are many urbanists here and fewer job offers for them. IT's exploding but there's the age thing and I know only HTML, CSS and some Python and SQL. JS scares me lol and even CSS seemed so complex with so many different stuff you can do with it but maybe backend coding in PHP and Python is more logical/clean idk. As for music, I love it but it takes great luck to become a well-paid song lyricist and writer or/and performer. I write them all the time as a hobby.

My degrees seem to be the things that are limiting me as they're too vague:
1. Bachelor's in Business Admin
2. MSc in Communication - this one though included some cool techie stuff like AI and some Python coding.

I only seem to get boring corporate (clerical) jobs like AP, AR, processing procurement orders, accounting reviews etc. Basically repetitive jobs where you have to input data, close/open credit cards, work with Excel tables all day, jobs from hell for me. Those jobs are not as creative as urban planning, singing in a band/writing songs or coding and creating something cool with all that PC power. Nor as interractive as selling cars to people or walking around a warehouse checking on things/people.

yes
Floorplanning - ie "inventory finance"

You are assigned a territory to travel and given lists of financed inventory. You walk dealerships of cars, boats, ATVs, lawn equipment, mobile homes, etc verifying the inventory is on site and in good condition. Work with someone at the dealerships for any missing inventory, inventory that never arrived, out on demo, in poor condition.

Gets out out of the office and making your own schedule

Old 04-28-2019, 03:15 AM

^^Too bad I suck even at basic match (like I can't tell you how much 17+26 is without a calculator).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or