U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 AM

407 posts, read 147,527 times

Advertisements

I like lots of things but my main interests and passions that have been constant during my life include: cars, computers, traveling, music, Botanics/plants and urbanism. I also for some reason like architecture, particularly industrial sites and warehouses. Along with car showrooms and recording studios I find them more inviting than a typical office glassed mill with rows of desks for whatever reason. I can tell you things or industries I don't like or hate like: Economics, Accounting, Statistics and Finance. Yet I've been typecast by my degrees it seems.

Now being a car salesperson would be great but it's also kinda not that well paid. I don't have a degree in bothany. I studied some Urbanism as part of an Urban Economy uni degree but dropped out due to health issues and later got another Master's. But there are many urbanists here and fewer job offers for them. IT's exploding but there's the age thing and I know only HTML, CSS and some Python and SQL. JS scares me lol and even CSS seemed so complex with so many different stuff you can do with it but maybe backend coding in PHP and Python is more logical/clean idk. As for music, I love it but it takes great luck to become a well-paid song lyricist and writer or/and performer. I write them all the time as a hobby.

My degrees seem to be the things that are limiting me as they're too vague:
1. Bachelor's in Business Admin
2. MSc in Communication - this one though included some cool techie stuff like AI and some Python coding.

I only seem to get boring corporate (clerical) jobs like AP, AR, processing procurement orders, accounting reviews etc. Basically repetitive jobs where you have to input data, close/open credit cards, work with Excel tables all day, jobs from hell for me. Those jobs are not as creative as urban planning, singing in a band/writing songs or coding and creating something cool with all that PC power. Nor as interractive as selling cars to people or walking around a warehouse checking on things/people.

Am I forever doomed to repeat those same jobs? I find them too boring/tedious and after a month at most I'm wanting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Pay for a coding bootcamp (6-10 weeks) and see if you like working with current coding tools enough to do coding as a job. There are plenty of junior developer jobs out there.

I know of this one, but there are others: https://opencloudacademy.rackspace.com/

Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 AM

2,288 posts, read 1,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Now being a car salesperson would be great but it's also kinda not that well paid.
Anyone who's good at selling is going to make a good living selling just about anything. But sales is a lot harder than it looks from the outside.

You probably can't do much better than $100K or so at your local Chevy or Honda dealer, but if you kill your number for a year or two, move up to Mercedes or Porsche. Then exotics, or yachts, or planes. There are people making a million dollars a year, but you gotta start with hustling and chasing ups.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 AM

11,128 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Your degrees aren't limiting you at all. You are limiting you.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 6,596,489 times
I once confided to a money savvy former co-worker about how I felt so indifferent (and sometimes worse) about my current job. He pointed out that my job is unusually stable (we both came from a place where layoffs were the norm), not that bad for the resume in the grand scheme of things, and atypically low stress. His advice - look beyond the limitations and look at the big picture. That job actually allows one to pursue whatever you want on the side without fear of a failure causing financial ruin.

If you learned some AI and Python, it's not a far leap for you to play with creating software related to any of the industries you are interested in on your own free time. Life is about compromise, so if you find you are not getting exactly what you want, then look at what you already have and see if you can mold it into something equally as good.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM

20,559 posts, read 16,625,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I like lots of things but my main interests and passions that have been constant during my life include: cars, computers, traveling, music, Botanics/plants and urbanism. I also for some reason like architecture, particularly industrial sites and warehouses. Along with car showrooms and recording studios I find them more inviting than a typical office glassed mill with rows of desks for whatever reason. I can tell you things or industries I don't like or hate like: Economics, Accounting, Statistics and Finance. Yet I've been typecast by my degrees it seems.

Now being a car salesperson would be great but it's also kinda not that well paid. I don't have a degree in bothany. I studied some Urbanism as part of an Urban Economy uni degree but dropped out due to health issues and later got another Master's. But there are many urbanists here and fewer job offers for them. IT's exploding but there's the age thing and I know only HTML, CSS and some Python and SQL. JS scares me lol and even CSS seemed so complex with so many different stuff you can do with it but maybe backend coding in PHP and Python is more logical/clean idk. As for music, I love it but it takes great luck to become a well-paid song lyricist and writer or/and performer. I write them all the time as a hobby.

My degrees seem to be the things that are limiting me as they're too vague:
1. Bachelor's in Business Admin
2. MSc in Communication - this one though included some cool techie stuff like AI and some Python coding.

I only seem to get boring corporate (clerical) jobs like AP, AR, processing procurement orders, accounting reviews etc. Basically repetitive jobs where you have to input data, close/open credit cards, work with Excel tables all day, jobs from hell for me. Those jobs are not as creative as urban planning, singing in a band/writing songs or coding and creating something cool with all that PC power. Nor as interractive as selling cars to people or walking around a warehouse checking on things/people.

Am I forever doomed to repeat those same jobs? I find them too boring/tedious and after a month at most I'm wanting out.
What are your strengths and weaknesses, and how do they fit into the things that you like to do? It’s not enough to like something you have to have the skills that can be honed in order to be good at that career. For instance you cannot be an architect if you can’t draw or don’t have excellent spatial skills. You won’t be good with computers unless you have a natural talent for math and for tech. You won’t be a good car salesman unless you’re extroverted and good with people. As for music and travel, those are very big areas and that we need to be narrow down more. But again make a list of your strengths and weaknesses, then do some research into what skills are required for each of the areas that you like and see where the best fit is. You can’t just choose based on what you like.

For instance I love animals and would’ve love to work with animals, however I would not be a good vet because I’m not that good at science and I know I wouldn’t be a good surgeon. And pretty much every other field that involves animals is low pay unless you have a highly specialized science degree. Before, even though I love animals, a career working with them was not the best fit for me.

Also look into what future prospects look like for each of these fields. For instance now that Carvana has been thrust upon us, it may just well be the future of car sales. There may not be any car salesman 20 years from now.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM

18,352 posts, read 23,523,787 times
a confident person is grateful for what they have...

the biggest anchors we have are the ones we put there...

Old 04-17-2019, 09:43 AM

I totally suck at match but have a logical thinking. Ambiverted but my autoimmune condition makes me introverted when it flares.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM

1,834 posts, read 740,416 times
If you like industrial sites like warehouses, you can work in shipping logistics. Help companies import and export their freight anywhere in the country or overseas. You'll have to deal with pricing, needing help from vendors, following up to make sure those vendors are doing what they promised to do, checking on where the freight is, updating your customer on where the freight is, billing them for the shipping costs.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM

^but that sounds also like spending all your day at a desk, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or