U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:51 PM

39,503 posts, read 2,983,837 times

Advertisements

When I was working, only those who drank coffee, made it, whoever was first in, or who had the last cup, made the next pot. Non coffee drinkers were never expected to do it. I agree about not lieing to the boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,782 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Like others, the first person who arrives and wants coffee makes it. We have 2 kitchens/coffee stations on each floor, and the one nearest me usually has coffee ready by 6am when I get there, some people in Accounting get there even earlier than me.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM

7,114 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Who is responsible for. Asking coffee in the morning? Is it an administrative assistant type position, or just whoever come in first? If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didnít drink it, what would you think?
Varies widely. Some places may assign this to a position that happens to be convenient based on where their workstation is or when their hours start. There could be some agreement reached by a work group...maybe rotating the duty around. Some all shared the cost of the supplies but the first person who wanted coffee in the mornings made it for everyone in that group. Someone may volunteer because they like it done a certain way or are a control freak. Most places I've worked no one made coffee for the group. Everyone brought their own or made their own single servings with filters or supplies the group bought.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM

22,542 posts, read 24,138,638 times
Quote:
Who is responsible for. Asking coffee in the morning? Is it an administrative assistant type position, or just whoever come in first? If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didnít drink it, what would you think?
If your superior is asking you to do this, and it's not entirely out of line with your job duties, then you make the coffee. In a more egalitarian situation, whoever gets there first and wants coffee does the job.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 827,218 times
We have a Keurig at my office, along with different coffee varieties, so you make your own cup to your liking. We do have a traditional coffee maker, so if someone wants more than one cup they will usually make a batch, but that does not happen often.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM

959 posts, read 362,122 times
I would make it if I came in first. But really, it's whoever gets there first

Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 PM

1,510 posts, read 965,094 times
Whomever - among those who drink coffee - gets there first.

Going back 30 years, I can think of only two places where I have worked were it was different, one a CPA firm (late '80s) and the other a brokerage house (mid '90s). There, it was done by admins (not sure if assigned to them, though). But both of those places were run by guys who thought is was still 1953.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That I wasn't a barista or an assistant. I'd tell that person they could go make it themselves.

But a lot of people are too afraid to stand up for themselves, and would be worried that "Oh, I might get fired, I better subordinate myself to this person or else!" In that case, the passive way of fixing the problem would be to make them the worst pot of coffee they've ever had in their life, and shrug helplessly if questioned and say, "I don't drink coffee, I don't know anything about it". Then they'll never ask again.
One place I worked, coffee came out of a vending machine. Since I never drink it, I have no idea how good it was. I'm guessing it was actually hot water with a shot of instant powder dumped in it by the machine. At no other place I worked did anyone suggest that I be the one to make coffee. After all, would you trust a non-drinker to make your coffee?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
The first person who wants it makes it. I don't drink coffee, so I don't make it.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,394,016 times
Quote:
We have Keurigs, so it's make your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Whomever arrives first and wants coffee. The person who kills the pot is supposed to make more....
Otherwise, this ^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or