U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

We have a Keurig that is plumbed to water line, so you make your own by the cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 AM

545 posts, read 225,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I had a job years ago where I'd have to try to beat the senior software dev to the coffee pot. He made coffee so strong a sip made you feel lightheaded. He'd complain about the weak, watery brew us mere mortals could tolerate, and said we could water his coffee down, but he couldn't make ours stronger. So if he got there first, and made it his way, we'd wind up chasing purple unicorns through the halls.
I rarely drink coffee but some years ago we had a guy who was like this - made thick black undrinkable coffee (especially as the day wore on it looked like tar). I don't know if it was a special decoration in his coffee cup, or if he really put coffee beans in there or if his cup was just stained so dark, but it appeared that he poured his thick coffee over a layer of coffee beans sitting in the bottom of his cup. Anyway one morning I felt like having some coffee and I like mine weak so I made a pot. Later in the morning as I walked by the coffee mess, there was a big sign posted above the coffee pot that said "This is a COFFEE MESS not a TEA MESS. Brew some %$#$# coffee" I know who made that sign.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

21,178 posts, read 11,803,134 times
I'm not a coffee drinker, nor am I ever the first one into the office, so it's never been an issue for me personally in terms of being asked to make it. But whenever I've worked someplace where there was a designated person, it was generally the office manager or an admin. who had that as part of their designated responsibilities, along with making sure the necessary supplies were available.

One place I worked had a big commercial set up with 3 pots that could be brewed at once for regular, decaf and a flavored one, and then two additional burners that you could move a partially empty pot to and brew a new pot so you never ran out. In that case, the office manager took care of it, along with making sure there was milk and creamer and sugar and also all kinds of other beverages and snacks that they provided on a regular basis (it was a great place to work, as long a you weren't on a diet! lol!)

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM

22,572 posts, read 24,160,556 times
It seems like a lot of posters skimmed over this part of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning
In most cases, if your supervisor tells you it's your job to make the coffee, it's probably your job to make the coffee.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 AM

21,178 posts, read 11,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It seems like a lot of posters skimmed over this part of the OP:

In most cases, if your supervisor tells you it's your job to make the coffee, it's probably your job to make the coffee.
That's a yes, but.... thing to me.

If I were in more of a support role and it was reasonably expected to something like making coffee would be included in my responsibilities, then yes. However, speaking as a female attorney who is not ancient but old enough to have experienced sexism in the workplace - if I were told by a supervisor to make the coffee but male attorneys weren't, then that would be a problem and I would in fact push back, the same what I've had to when I was expected to do clerical tasks that male attorneys were not. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with someone working in a clerical role, when that is the job they were hired for. But there is an issue if female professionals are treated differently than male professionals in the same role.

Without knowing more about OP's work situation, no way to know whether this is a reasonable job duty or not.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM

22,572 posts, read 24,160,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's a yes, but.... thing to me.

If I were in more of a support role and it was reasonably expected to something like making coffee would be included in my responsibilities, then yes. However, speaking as a female attorney who is not ancient but old enough to have experienced sexism in the workplace - if I were told by a supervisor to make the coffee but male attorneys weren't, then that would be a problem and I would in fact push back, the same what I've had to when I was expected to do clerical tasks that male attorneys were not. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with someone working in a clerical role, when that is the job they were hired for. But there is an issue if female professionals are treated differently than male professionals in the same role.
Oh, absolutely. There are situations when being asked to make the coffee is an insult, really, but the OP didn't provide enough information that that's the case here.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM

5,035 posts, read 3,220,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Who is responsible for. Asking coffee in the morning? Is it an administrative assistant type position, or just whoever come in first? If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didnít drink it, what would you think?

It can depend on the workers, I have worked for some companies who had a coffee delivery service come in every morning with 6-8 thermos containers of coffee. Then you have a small 5 person shop and I was the second person to drink coffee. So I made it strong. The boss tried some and said "Well, glad I hired you, keep making it like this"

Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No, it isn't. If my manager directed me to make coffee, that would be a sign that I was working for the wrong manager.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:34 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,081,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
We have Keurigs around so there's no issue. When you want coffee, you grab a k-cup and make your own.
Same

If my boss asked me to make coffee I would probably do it, but also be looking for a new job. That's just me though and I can see situations where I wouldn't mind..like if it was a one time thing or something

Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,148,028 times
A non-matter for me. I gave up drinking it years ago, and the coffee makers are far off and out of view where I currently work. Out of sight, out of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or